My blondi has bleeding abdomen from scratching

Wish_mastera

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi. I have question about my blondi molting behavior. For second time in a row, when she molts, she scratches all her abdomen's urticating hairs on her molting bed. First time when she done this, she had molt and regenerated the bad fangs for previous molt. When she finaly finished the job, I was happy to see the regenerated fangs, but all her abdomen was bleeding from scratching. Today I see the same situation. Before she turns in her back, she covered the whole place around her with hairs. Is this some kind of defencive mechanism, or just normal thing with big blondis behaviour? She has sterted to do this after her bad molt. I suppose after this molt, she will be bleeding again. Any ideas what can I do?

Picture from previous molt

the old skin

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ew, that looks TERRIBLE. :eek:

Is something startling her post-molt? The only thing I can think of is that she's being forced to kick hairs at some kind of disturbance while her exoskeleton is still very fragile.

A tarantula bleeding is always series--besides the risk of infection, there's the fact that their blood doesn't clot. If she's injuring herself by panicked kicking while her exoskeleton is too weak to take it, one of these times it's going to be serious enough to possibly kill her. It's just like cracking an abdomen in a fall; fatal.

EDIT: On further thought...that top picture what she looks like after a molt, yes? There is no WAY a freshly-molted spider should be missing that much hair already. :eek: Something's definitely not right here.

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are, you positive its because of it flicking hair as aposed from some other reason.
I agree, there must be some other factor to this is she is like that after a molt.
keep an eye for anything out of the ordinary, anything at all.
Very strange, ESPECIALLY if i is that its been rubbed raw.

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Its odd that its only the one side too if its rubbed. unless there is something that has REALLY been bugging the spider on that side? dunno, but i would keep her on the drier side, give her ample water, dont overfeed her and treat her with kid gloves til the next molt, hopefully things will have sorted itself.
Change substrate maybe?

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
A substrate change may indeed be in order (OP, have you checked for mites or fungus?), but definitely not until the T has fully recovered from this recent molt. It's fragile and weak already, and on top of that something is clearly further wrong with it--it's *bleeding* even, we don't want to make things worse. Substrate changes always freak them out quite a lot.

Is it fed vertebrate prey? Just grasping at straws, but you also mentioned it was having fang problems and had to regenerate them. You might want to go back to an all-bug diet.

Derek W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Is the red stuff visible in the picture what you are calling the blood? I always thought hemolymph was clear?

Wish_mastera

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The first picture is shot right after molting. On the second picture is the old skin. She scratch her abdomen before molting, not after it. Before she lays on her back, I saw her scratching and cover all around her with hairs. Its the only time I saw her scratshing hairs and this was right before she turns on her back. Its not normal flicking hairs, she just slowly scratch dem, not to kick in the air. I think its becouse her bad molt before 2 molts. She hadnt got fangs and maybe she wants to keep her enemies away from her. I've never disturb her. She is very fat, and eat like pig. Its very active, all the time ist outside her hide. Temperature ist always between 23-28C and always has full water dish. She is on coco substrate.
Now she is on her back and maybe after 3-4 hours if everything goes good, will tell you if this time has the same wound from scratching. Hope to be not that seroius as before.

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Haemolymph is a cloudy - grey colour, so im not 100% on the red 'blood' either, thought it might have been a fungus.

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Theraphosas will always lay a really thick mt of their own hairs for a molt, if you have ever been hasty in removing the exuvium you will know that its a really good mechanism.
I woke the following morning thinkin i had meningitis or something,
Its normal and is a healthy practice for your t

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
WOW don't own this breed but yeah that doesn't look to good.

Wish_mastera

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yestarday evening she has molted. For now everything looks good. She hasnt got wounds from scratching as before, just few marks, where the rear legs are rubbing the abdomen. Here you can see her laying, covered with hairs.
The old skin is 7.5"

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So glad to hear that its all come to head. and that your girl is ok.
She defiantely looks nice and healthy.. looks a coverage of hairs over herself while she molts so..
congrats on it all coming to a good closure, seems too infrequent that it goes bad... nice to hear a story that turns out well.

BLS Blondi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not blood

That red color you see is not blood. I have seen this on T. blondi a few times, as well as A. geniculata. From my experience, my T's have always been OK, but the red is a sign of excess hair flicking. Of all my T. blondi, one of my females is famous for for flicking at EVERYTHING. She gets this after flicking hairs in the same area. But she has never been injured or ever had molt problems due to it. Here is what I believe happened in your case: You T. blondi was excessively flicking hairs when the (new)skin was just under the surface. This caused the skin underneath to develop incorrectly, or get slightly damaged. However, your T will be fine. But in the meantime, find out what is irritating her, and correct it. When she molts again, this "blood spot" will be gone.