My Ball Python

BigSam

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My ball python has been doing some strange things. Lately when I pick him up he opens up his butt. I'll pick him up and he'll up it, but when I put him down right away he closes it. I don't know why he does this because he used the bathroom yesterday and he even went pee. He has no reason to open his butt. Could he be sick or have worms or why does he do this. My other ball python the new one never does this. Does any one else noticed that there ball python does this. I want to know what is wrong with him. I want to heel him back to 100% just like I did with everything else.

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm really sorry

but I just can't help it.
You have to know the truth.
You Python is GAY.;P
(No offence, I'm just kidin')
Sorry for not helping, hope you find whats wrong.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The fact that the snake only does this when you pick it up suggests that it could be a defensive reaction. Snakes are capapable of realeasing a smelly musk from their cloaca (proper term for a snake's butt) as a defense against a threat. They will also defecate and urinate defensively as well. He may not actually be doing this, but simply preparing to or threatening to. Your snake may not be accustomed to handling yet and hopefully will get over this habit soon.

If you're really worried, a trip to the vet may be in order, but since it only happens during handeling it sounds like a stress issue to me.

Wade