My Balfouri House :)

Bread

Arachnopeon
My little guys are about ready for a move into a bigger house so i've prepared a smaller 3ft fish tank (still have the 5ft if I need it)

There are a bunch of small cork tubes and some more wood to go in there for more spidey hidey places, there are also some large tubes buried under the substrate with entrances under the skulls (substrate has a bit more drying to do yet, amazing how long 8 bricks takes to dry even when driven over between metal sheets by my van)

I'll be smashing some cork tubes up to create so wood debris for any future slings to run between, and adding in some more twigs.

Any thoughts? :)

Walker253

Arachnobaron
How about drying the substrate in your oven? Say 150 degrees, bake it for a while. I like your wringing out the water method though.

Kymura

Arachnoknight
Love the idea of squeezing out the excess that way. Not a criticism in any way, curiosity though, no plants? (Plastic type obviously)

Bread

Arachnopeon
Love the idea of squeezing out the excess that way. Not a criticism in any way, curiosity though, no plants? (Plastic type obviously)
Ah sorry, I've a few deserty type plastic plants on the way, balfouri live in a very arid environment.

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
Lucky jerk :rofl: Here I am, trying to get at least ONE balfouri, and you go and get fifteen :D How are you planning to feed them? Find each one and give it a cricket (or roach)? Or just put a bunch of crickets/roaches in there and see how that works? Sorry if that's a stupid question, I've never had a communal :(

Bread

Arachnopeon
Probably locusts,they don't burrow like roaches and they will kill them as they need :)
The other good thing with Balfouri is as they mature and lay sacs they will be left with the mother who will kill larger prey items to feed her slings.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Probably locusts,they don't burrow like roaches and they will kill them as they need :)
The other good thing with Balfouri is as they mature and lay sacs they will be left with the mother who will kill larger prey items to feed her slings.
Aren't locusts a bit big for 1 inch slings??

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Aren't locusts a bit big for 1 inch snuisancgs??
You can buy locusts in different sizes like crickets ;)
Although the little ones are a nuisance, jumping everywhere and fast as well. Medium-adult locysts jump very high, but aren't as quick.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
I've been summoned! I would start the 15 off in a smaller enclosure, actually. I have 15ish about 1-2" DLS in a 1' diameter tub at the moment. I'm going to be upgrading or separating them as soon as I have time, though. (That could be 2017 given my schedule! :rage::banghead:) The problem with a lot of space is that they sort of lose contact with one another, and when one goes roaming it might get munched. A smaller enclosure makes them all cuddly with one another.

I've kept 4 adults together max, so I can't speak to how they'll work out when they're older. My adult tank is about 1' cubed. The females all do very well together when it's all girls, but adding a MM makes the dynamic a bit touchy. I pull the guys when they mature and all of my breeding has been of solo females.

Bread

Arachnopeon
I do have the 5foot tank as a backup if 3ft isn't enough, from what I've read the females top out at 12cm legspan and males 9-10cm.
There is a LOT of underground space in that tank with the buried tubes (they are adult pokie sized tubes, maybe 15cm diameter)

whoops, you posted as I was editing :p thanks for the input. I was trying to reduce my amount of housemoving.
Getting 15 1nch guys out won't be fun :p

Just looked in on the little troublemakers and some of there are out to say hi :)

Last edited: