Arachnopeon
Prediction's on gender :D
i guess my smithi is a male.
i prefer female o well.

-

-

RoseT

Arachnosquire
Congrats!..Too small to sex, but I wouldnt rule out a female just yet...Substrate looks a bit bulk for a sling but I dont see it being a problem...Welcome to the hobby!

Creepy Crawler

Arachnopeon
That substrate looks like Exo Terra Coco Husk...and its SHARP! I purchased it thinking it was the same as coco coir substrate, which uses coconut...but instead of just chopping up the entire husk they separate the fiber from the husk and finely grind to a soft pulp (also called "coco peat").

I did not like the coco husk. It holds water well, but never got soft. I didn't want my T dragging her abdomen across the sharp edges of that stuff. I left it on the bottom of the enclosure but added another three inches of the Exo Terra Plantation Soil (which is like the coco coir).

I do one half of the enclosure moist and the other half dry...and my adult Parahybana loves it!

kingston

Arachnopeon
yeah me too. i thought that it was coco peat too. the seller said that it is safe to use so i'll use it for now. and if time comes i'll buy coco peat.

VinceC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Far to small for sexing, but as already stated definitely dont rule out female. To me that large carapace suggests a fighting chance for female :clap:

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You have a glare going right across the area of interest. It could be female but I think I see the outlines of the male "spot." Nice T either way.

T dragging her abdomen across the sharp edges of that stuff
I agree with this. Especially with a slow-growing species like a B. smithi, it'll probably be fine on that substrate for a while but because they seem to go through long periods of time between molts, their abdomens can get to big sizes. Its at that point that I'd worry about them abrading against the edges of those pieces and in time, possibly creating an open sore. Just a thought

Momo79

Arachnopeon
Nice smithi there kingston :)

1) Btw guys, may i ask what will be the decent inch size will we be able to get an accurate sexing from the molt skin?

2) For the above, is it same for all Ts?

Thanks guy.

kingston

Arachnopeon
Nice smithi there kingston :)

1) Btw guys, may i ask what will be the decent inch size will we be able to get an accurate sexing from the molt skin?

2) For the above, is it same for all Ts?

Thanks guy.
thanks
i guess the decent inch size will be 3in above if you really want an 100% accuracy on sexing.

my smithi is 1.5in in that picture now he is 2in :D

btw I change the coco husk to coco peat i dont like the husk either it has to many sharp pointy fibers.

Momo79

Arachnopeon
Thanks kingston. Good choice with the swap of substrate.

Recently i just tried to sex my 2inch smithi's molt skin and i could not find the "flap" (sry i'm not sure on the scientific name for that) which indicates a female. So am i right to say that since it is below 3 inch, there's a possibility that the sexual organ has not been developed yet?

Thanks guys