My B. Emilia

Venomthetarantula

Arachnopeon
So I was wondering, my B. Emilia is looking a bit more pale in the legs but her abdomen looks darker and her white spot is brighter, she hasn't eaten in a week and a half so I was wondering if she's coming close to a molt? Or what's happening to her. If she was close to a molt, what food should I put in her cage incase she is because I know crickets are dangerous. Also how long can they go without eating? She's a year and a half old by the way.

Stemmy101

Arachnosquire
We don't usually go by age, because all tarantulas have different growth rates so age tells us nothing. We go by the size of your T (e.g, how many inches its legspan measures). To answer your first question, if your T is refusing food or could be a sign of premolt, or not. Premolt isn't really relevant. Tarantulas that fast are extremely common, and they can go months at a time without eating. If she is getting close to a molt tho and keeps refusing food, maybe offer prekilled prey (squish the heads first). It's a safer option for a T that could molt any given day (don't want her molting with a feeder loose). Or you can keep offering live prey but make sure to keep a close eye so it doesn't burrow, and remove within a few hours if uneaten.

Venomthetarantula

Arachnopeon
We don't usually go by age, because all tarantulas have different growth rates so age tells us nothing. We go by the size of your T (e.g, how many inches its legspan measures). To answer your first question, if your T is refusing food or could be a sign of premolt, or not. Premolt isn't really relevant. Tarantulas that fast are extremely common, and they can go months at a time without eating. If she is getting close to a molt tho and keeps refusing food, maybe offer prekilled prey (squish the heads first). It's a safer option for a T that could molt any given day (don't want her molting with a feeder loose). Or you can keep offering live prey but make sure to keep a close eye so it doesn't burrow, and remove within a few hours if uneaten.
Ok thank you so much, she is also only an inch and a half, and I read that they don't eat dead insects and it seems like she doesn't as I've tried feeding her them before, so is there a safer live food like a type of worm or something incase?

Need pics
I will send pics of her right now vs when I first got her when I get home from school :)

Stemmy101

Arachnosquire
she is also only an inch and a half, and I read that they don't eat dead insects and it seems like she doesn't as I've tried feeding her them before, so is there a safer l
At that stage most of the time they will scavenge and eat freshly killed prey (emphasis on the freshly). But sometimes they won't, depends on the specimen. The problem with worms like super worms and mealworms is that they have a tendency to burrow (IME even worse than crickets), and will still make a meal out of a molting tarantula. So my suggestion if to just keep offering live and keep a close eye on it (remove it in a few hours, like I said before), or also as I said before, crush the head. If you do this a lot of times it will keep twitching and will attract your T if it's hungry. If it refuses, it likely just doesn't want it

Venomthetarantula

Arachnopeon
At that stage most of the time they will scavenge and eat freshly killed prey (emphasis on the freshly). But sometimes they won't, depends on the specimen. The problem with worms like super worms and mealworms is that they have a tendency to burrow (IME even worse than crickets), and will still make a meal out of a molting tarantula. So my suggestion if to just keep offering live and keep a close eye on it (remove it in a few hours, like I said before), or also as I said before, crush the head. If you do this a lot of times it will keep twitching and will attract your T if it's hungry. If it refuses, it likely just doesn't want it
Ok thank you so much, this really does help!

Need pics
The first two are before and second two are now

Also what is that white spot? That wasn't on her before?

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
1. Fat tarantulas, regardless of size, do not require food...you can stop feeding and wait for a molt.

2. Colors becoming more drab is a sign that the t is in pre-molt, or at least at the back end of its molt cycle.

3. The spot is simply a bald spot from kicking hairs.

4. Almost all tarantula spiderlings will eat dead food, whomever told you they wont was misinformed

You can watch this bald spot, eventually the skin will darken and the whole abdomen will turn black and shiny, this will mean that a molt is eminent.

Venomthetarantula

Arachnopeon
1. Fat tarantulas, regardless of size, do not require food...you can stop feeding and wait for a molt.

2. Colors becoming more drab is a sign that the t is in pre-molt, or at least at the back end of its molt cycle.

3. The spot is simply a bald spot from kicking hairs.

4. Almost all tarantula spiderlings will eat dead food, whomever told you they wont was misinformed

You can watch this bald spot, eventually the skin will darken and the whole abdomen will turn black and shiny, this will mean that a molt is eminent.
Ok thank you so much!! I didn't realise she was fat lol, oops

cold blood

Staff member
Ok thank you so much!! I didn't realise she was fat lol, oops
Fat is not a problem, its a completely natural part of any ts life. They molt, and at that time will be at their thinnest, then they plump, molt and the process starts again.....getting plump is part of a sling's growth strategy.

Venomthetarantula

Arachnopeon
Fat is not a problem, its a completely natural part of any ts life. They molt, and at that time will be at their thinnest, then they plump, molt and the process starts again.....getting plump is part of a sling's growth strategy.
Ohh ok, I just want to make sure I know a lot and make sure she's healthy and happy as she's the first Tarantula I ever had so I'm still learning 😅