My B. boehmei turned out to be B. baumgarteni

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh my goodness. I cannot beleive this at all. It has just come to my attention that my Brachypelma boehmei is not what I have thought she is all this time. It has been shown to me that its a Brachypelma baumgarteni.

Heres a picture of the Swoosh marking on my girl.

Is this really so?:eek::eek:

Last edited:

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
swoosh

What is the sign its not a boehmie? I am not questioning your right or wrong but asking for my own learning purposes :)

Don't understand "the swoosh"

Noexcuse4you

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Can we get a photo of the whole spider? The fact that it has a "swoosh" doesn't mean anything as it is a common trait in a lot of species, some more pronounced than others.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What is the sign its not a boehmie? I am not questioning your right or wrong but asking for my own learning purposes :)

Don't understand "the swoosh"
It came as a surprise to me and thats why I am posting this thread. To get more input. Theres a curved marking on the legs that is supposed to be black on B. boehmei and orange on the baumgarteni. It was pointed out to me. I did not conclude this myself. Hoping to get more input. I always thought the difference was the carapace, that it was supposed to look like the B. smithi (mostly black with a border all the way around.)

Can we get a photo of the whole spider? The fact that it has a "swoosh" doesn't mean anything as it is a common trait in a lot of species, some more pronounced than others.
Heres a shot of her. Let me know what you think.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Do these two differ significantly in spermathecae?
Anyone have any photos for either species? I'd like to make sure what mine is too :)

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Not sure what your spiders is but I always thought the "swoosh" marking was darker ( see this ). Although, i dont know anything about Brachy's and color is generally means very little.

later, Tom

brachybaum

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Baumgarteni vs. Boehmei

Hey guys, well I came across a picture from TalonAWD of what was thought of as a Boehmei. With a keen eye and a few years researching immediately noticed it was a Baumgarteni. 3 differences between a Boehmei and Baumgarteni, the biggest difference is on the Metatarsus there is a nike-like swoosh mark between the Tibia and the tip of the legs known as the Tarsus, this link should clear that up: http://arachnophiliac.info/burrow/gallery/tarantulas/anatomy.gif. Anyway Baumgarteni's have an orange mark and Boehmei's have a black mark. 2nd giveaway is the carapace, Baum's have markings like a B. Smithi, big black patch while Boehmei's have that upsidedown triangle or very little black patching. 3rd are the legs, Baum's have bright red flame knee's going down to very light orange, Boehme's generally have same red color from the knees down to the tip. Also Baum's are not so notorious for kicking hairs like Boe's, their temperament is more like an Auratum/Smithi. These 2 species have been mistaken for eachother for way to long now. The late great Satellite Rob was an expert on IDing these Baumgarteni's, he positively ID'd my first Baumgarteni. Here are a few examples.

Baumgarteni Orange check mark:

Here is a Boehmei, as you can see it's mark is black:

When they become adult size these check marks will be more defined. Here is one of my Baum's as adult size:
[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the long rant:) I hope this helps more hobbyists ID these very rare Brachy's. There are probably more out there that have been marked Boehmei's. And guys keep your fingers crossed I have 3 adult females and 1 pen male soon to breed. I want to thank TalonAWD, he was nice enough to ask me to post on here the differences. Congrats on your Baum Talon:clap: Thanks and take care.

Last edited:

brachybaum

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Not sure what your spiders is but I always thought the "swoosh" marking was darker ( see this ). Although, i dont know anything about Brachy's and color is generally means very little.

later, Tom
This picture is somewhat misleading. You can clearly see the orange stripe on the female but I don't believe that male is a Baumgarteni. Then again the male could be a hybrid Baum X Smithi.

Last edited:

brachybaum

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes that is true, the orange swoosh is pretty common but we're talking about the difference between Baumgarteni and Boehmei. I saw Talon's pic and I pointed out to him the differences.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do these two differ significantly in spermathecae?
Anyone have any photos for either species? I'd like to make sure what mine is too :)
Heres the most recent spermathecae shot from her 2-13-10 molt (which was one year of waiting for that molt)

brachybaum

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i think the b. boehmei has a totally light orange carapace compared to the b. baumgarteni wich has a spot similar to b. smithi, but red legs similar to the b. boehmei.

b. baumgarteni
http://atshq.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23872

B.smithi

b. boehmei
Haha, that link on atshq is my selling the Baumgarteni a while ago:wall:. I made a big mistake letting her go, I would have had 4 females and a male but it's ok:)

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Heres the most recent spermathecae shot from her 2-13-10 molt (which was one year of waiting for that molt)

I'm having a hard time seeing the spermathecae - all I can really see is the uterus externus.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm having a hard time seeing the spermathecae - all I can really see is the uterus externus.
Yeah I know. Let me play with settings. Hoefully i can bring it out.

Edit: Probably not any better but I tried. Theres two nodes one on either side.

Last edited:

Noexcuse4you

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Who knows. Maybe it could be genetic variation or possibly even a hybrid. If you say its baumgarteni and breed it as such then the person who gets the slings say, 'oh wait, this could be boehmei', then the next person breeds it as boehmei...you get the picture.

Eddy posted a photo of a wild baumgarteni he found in this thread. As far as I'm concerned, your baumgarteni hardly looks similar.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=1551910&postcount=3

brachybaum

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah I know. Let me play with settings. Hoefully i can bring it out.

Edit: Probably not any better but I tried. Theres two nodes one on either side.

Looks female to me, even the dorsal picture above exudes female.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok I still have her molt shedding. Let me see if I can get an updated picture with my new camera.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks female to me, even the dorsal picture above exudes female.
Oh I knew it was female. What we are looking for is the spermathecae shape. To compare possibly to a known spermathecae of a B boehmei.

brachybaum

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Who knows. Maybe it could be genetic variation or possibly even a hybrid. If you say its baumgarteni and breed it as such then the person who gets the slings say, 'oh wait, this could be boehmei', then the next person breeds it as boehmei...you get the picture.

Eddy posted a photo of a wild baumgarteni he found in this thread. As far as I'm concerned, your baumgarteni hardly looks similar.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=1551910&postcount=3
Give it time, once Talon's gets to adult size she will look like the Baumgarteni in that picture. I have a 6"+ female that looks exactly like the one pictured. There might also be different color morphs as some Boehmei's are light and some are pretty dark but it can't take away from that marking on the leg. Oh and yes as younglings they look almost alike. As the late Satellite Rob said it best "Thats why I stopped posting them until thay get there full adult color. I was tired of hearing thay look like Boehmei" from http://arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=161068.