My B. albopilosum Wont eat and has barricaded hide

Aryan Kalia

Arachnopeon
My Brachyplema albopilosum 2 CM Sling has barricaded itself wont come out of its hide
Its not because its in pre molt as it molted saturday 1st
does anyone have any answers?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Its body is in a soft, fragile state right now. It is hardening up in the hide. Leave it alone, and provide water in case it comes out at night when you're not seeing it. Don't feed it until the fangs are fully hardened (they turn black when they're good to go...this can take a couple of days for a tiny sling or a week or more for a bigger sling.)

Aryan Kalia

Arachnopeon
Its body is in a soft, fragile state right now. It is hardening up in the hide. Leave it alone, and provide water in case it comes out at night when you're not seeing it. Don't feed it until the fangs are fully hardened (they turn black when they're good to go...this can take a couple of days for a tiny sling or a week or more for a bigger sling.)
Ok one question will the entire Tarantula turn black? or just the fangs i cant see the t
and I spray the enclosure with water makign sure the humidity is 70-80

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Ok one question will the entire Tarantula turn black? or just the fangs i cant see the t
and I spray the enclosure with water makign sure the humidity is 70-80
Just the pointy end of the fangs will turn black.

Also, you can stop trying to rigidly maintain humidity. Hygrometers bought in pet stores are notoriously inaccurate. Just keep the water dish full, and overflow it to create a damp area of substrate around it regularly.

Aryan Kalia

Arachnopeon

cold blood

Staff member
Never worry about a burrowing t, just wait for it to emerge to feed...they can go long periods of time without food, even after molting. As mentioned, a t needs time to recover from a molt and is incapable of eating for a period after molting...bigger the t, the longer this period is.

Keep it like this.....just keep part of the sub damp.

Larger enclosures encourage excessive burrowing and hiding.

As said don't measure humidity...ever...a t can't get moisture from the air, so measuring the moisture in the air is pointless...its like putting gas in your cars cup holders...yeah the car needs gas, but not in a cup holder, it only works if its in the gas tank. A t can drink from the sub, so its the subs moisture content you need to worry about as a small sling.

Stop reading care sheets, they kill tarantulas!

Aryan Kalia

Arachnopeon
Never worry about a burrowing t, just wait for it to emerge to feed...they can go long periods of time without food, even after molting. As mentioned, a t needs time to recover from a molt and is incapable of eating for a period after molting...bigger the t, the longer this period is.

Keep it like this.....just keep part of the sub damp.

Larger enclosures encourage excessive burrowing and hiding.

As said don't measure humidity...ever...a t can't get moisture from the air, so measuring the moisture in the air is pointless...its like putting gas in your cars cup holders...yeah the car needs gas, but not in a cup holder, it only works if its in the gas tank. A t can drink from the sub, so its the subs moisture content you need to worry about as a small sling.

Stop reading care sheets, they kill tarantulas!
thanks, will my tarantula come out after its hardened

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just the pointy end of the fangs will turn black.
How do you figure that one? When my Ts molt, their entire fang is white, later on they are all black. What's going on in your neck of the woods? Do you live next to a nuclear power plant :astronaut::robot:

Aryan Kalia

Arachnopeon
How do you figure that one? When my Ts molt, their entire fang is white, later on they are all black. What's going on in your neck of the woods? Do you live next to a nuclear power plant :astronaut::robot:
who?
this is starting to confuse me

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
He asked if the whole tarantula would turn black. I'm not sure how that could have been misconstrued, but I was just clarifying that it was just the business end of the fangs that do. They don't go black all the way up to the T's face (or whatever they have where a face would be :rofl:)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
He asked if the whole tarantula would turn black. I'm not sure how that could have been misconstrued, but I was just clarifying that it was just the business end of the fangs that do. They don't go black all the way up to the T's face (or whatever they have where a face would be :rofl:)

Yeah I read that part about black...When I read your post I saw the "the point end" bit, and thought you meant the very tips only turn black, like a millimeter or 2 in length, which as we know is not true, the entire fang turns white to black, meaning the portion exposed to the atmosphere turns black.

boina

Lady of the mites

Aryan Kalia

Arachnopeon
That critter box actually only works for arboreal slings. It's really not a very good idea for a terrestrial sling - too high, and you can't really fill it with substrate to reduce the height your sling could fall when it starts to climb because it opens in the middle.
shall I move my T to another enclosure I have a other enclosure
I was planning to use it for a T. Olive but
do you think i should remove him from his critter box and put him in another enclosure?