my avics js die

archieph

Arachnosquire
i have almost completed my whole avic collection. here's a list of avic and other ts i have last checked: jan 3, 2011 16:24 (dates of molts)

A. avicularia

geroldi1 11/20
geroldi2 12/10
metallica 11/19 1/2
versicolor 1 11/17 12/28
versicolr 2 12/2
laeta 11/17 1/2
diversipes1 12/1
diversipes2 11/25
minatrix 12/3
ulrichea 12/17
guyana
braunshauseni1 1/2
braunshauseni2 12/14
aurantiaca 12/17
purpea
blue velvet 12/26
amazonas 12/22
spec purple
azurlkassi 1/3
huriana
velutina 12/26

B. ephebopus

cyanognathus1 1/2
cyanognathus2 12/1 1/2

C. iridopelma

recife 1/2

D. grammostola

rosea 1/2

E. aphonopelma

bicoloratum1
bicoloratum2 12/15

F. chromatopelma

cyaneopubescens 12/15

G. negros

dwarf
black

H. ceratogyrus

marshalli1
marshalli2 1/3
darlingi 1/2

I. Selenocosmia philippinus

philippine orange

Total: 36

anyway, i have avics that js die for no reason at all.. one day they are alive, next they are all curled up.. my huriana, amazonas, geroldi died for no apparent reason.. i'm thinking maybe i got the weak ones in the batch.. any thoughts?

zenmasterx

Arachnopeon
Yeah i lost a sp. peru and a aurantiaca i kept my eyes on them a lot the strange thing i noticed about the two that died is that they did not make any web in the jar.We can only try to mimick the rain forest but we dont know ALL there is to know about avics.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There is a theory floating around on something called SADS. Do a search, there's a thread on it.

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Bro,

That's why in the hobby, people always recommend the terrestrial slings for beginners because they are naturally more hardy and less sensitive to humidity requirements. Having been into the hobby since 2007 (fairly new), I have also encountered the same experience. Totally clueless.

Blackbeard

Arachnopeon
My A. geroldi appeared very healthy until it was suddenly in a half death curl one night.
The next morning it was dead.
My A. versicolor and A. metalica are still doing great a year later.
The versicolor has webbed up much of the tank while the metalica and geroldi never webbed at all.
Any other arboreals and terrestrials I own are doing great.
I like Avics mostly for their appearance but I probably won't be aquiring more in the future except for one versicolor.
Having a T just curl up on me suddenly is too much of a bummer.

Johnny1320

Arachnopeon
My A. geroldi appeared very healthy until it was suddenly in a half death curl one night.
The next morning it was dead.
My A. versicolor and A. metalica are still doing great a year later.
The versicolor has webbed up much of the tank while the metalica and geroldi never webbed at all.
Any other arboreals and terrestrials I own are doing great.
I like Avics mostly for their appearance but I probably won't be aquiring more in the future except for one versicolor.
Having a T just curl up on me suddenly is too much of a bummer.
I have an A.versi juv about 2" that I just rehoused to a slightly taller enclosure. Has cork bark in it. It webbed up its old one, but its been about a week and nada on the new. Should I be concerned?

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a bunch of avics. Make sure they are humid, but not standing water in the bottom of the vials (if they are spiderlings...) For some reason, people tend to (and I was a victim of this) over water their spiders... Make sure you have plenty of ventilation and your attrition rate should drop a ton!

I really don't buy into the SADS thing.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a bunch of avics. Make sure they are humid, but not standing water in the bottom of the vials (if they are spiderlings...) For some reason, people tend to (and I was a victim of this) over water their spiders... Make sure you have plenty of ventilation and your attrition rate should drop a ton!

I really don't buy into the SADS thing.
Maybe it's the bees {D

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Please don't get him started. He hasn't been the focus of attention lately, he's just trying to get things stirred up again. He's already shared his avic losses and he's gotten plenty of advice.

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Never had a problem with avic slings. :confused:

I leave them alone, with dry substrate most of the time, a once or twice weekly feeding, and a once or twice twice a week watering.

I don't mess with them other than to feed or water.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Never had a problem with avic slings. :confused:

I leave them alone, with dry substrate most of the time, a once or twice weekly feeding, and a once or twice twice a week watering.

I don't mess with them other than to feed or water.
I couldn't agree more!

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've had four avics die, but not for unknown reasons.. One was a MM, one came to me with nematodes, died less than a week later, one took a fall, and one died of what appears to be dehydration, despite a full waterdish. She didn't eat though, and sat in her web for weeks. I never put much thought into her just sitting there, as pretty much all my spiders do, they just move around during the night to get a drink and stuff.. Guess she didn't.

Also the reason for my high number of avic deaths is because I have had alot of avics.
So all in all, there's a reason for all my avics deaths, three of which were out of my control, one I guess I could have done more for, had I picked up on it sooner.

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They couldn't stand reading "js" and killed themselves. I don't blame them.