My Avic Colony

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So I started my own communal Avicularia Avicularia home today. I am hoping they do alright. I have hed the first one (Electric is her name) for about 5 months now and she is fat and happy. THe other one is new and I picked her up today and I have named it Zap. THey seem to be doing fine so far. If one gets eaten by the other I will understand. I am taking a risk but this is something i have wanted to do since getting into the hobby. I wish my spiderling named SHOCK wasbig enough to join them in their big house.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I understand well the will to experiment a little!
It just tends to always collide with ethics :/ Anyway, I wish you luck with this, I hope they'll be able to co exist for quite some time, at least :D

Tell me, how is your enclosure for the companions set up?
Are Electric and Zap close in age / size?

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I dont know the age of either spider but I assume it is similar because they are nearly the same size. Zap is a tad smaller than Electric but this is probably due to the fact that she was just purchased from the pet shop and isnt fattened up yet like Electric is. A pinkie and the three crickets she has already devoured will take care of that. THey are sitting side by side right now on the glass wall of their aquarium and both are eating crickets. When they wrap up their prey they spin around and they have stepped oneach others cute pink lil toes a few times and it didnt cause any reaction. The tank is a 10 gallon that is taller than wide. It has a mixture of sand and peat as bedding and a nice big water dish and lots of branches criss crossing everyhwere.

Yes my spelling is probably terrible I am typing in a hurry

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So far the spiders are doing very well. It has only been one day but I think that they are tolerant of each other. Last night they were side by side.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would love to try this when I get home..don't know if I will though. Theraphosidae ain't cheap or very common around here...hmm..if there was a way of sending things though mail (and keeping them warm) I'd have the whole market of Germany to glance at. ..however I probably wouldn't take it too well if I came home one day with Grelda sitting fat and bloated, with 2 cute pink feet of Esmerelda hanging from her jaws :/

That would...hah..remind me of my brother's big hermit crabs.
Don't let anyone tell you they like the company of their kin :p

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Jacen,

Kepp us up to date on your succeses or failures...I always wanted to try an avic colony...I would think the best thing you could do would be to keep them well fed and allow for enough space....Your experiment should be interesting.

John
];')

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
10 gal should be ok for 2... 3 might push it.. but might not either.

the substrate you might think about changing.... might want to substitute vermiculite for sand.... though sand may not be dangerous for an aboreal like a pinktoe... it does reduce the humidity in the aquarium and humidity for them needs to remain around 75-80%.

just a thought so you don't have to mist everyday.

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

i would'nt mind trying a colony but its gonna take me while also to get some more pinktoes as i live in the middle of nowhere, and all the people around here are kinda freaked by the thouht of tarantulas, only pets for sale here are stupid fish,lame,lame,lame, oh and boring---Jeff