My avic. avicularia

cold blood

Staff member
Looks good, but i would have flipped the wood so that inviting split was at the top where it would be utilized.

Looks very nice though.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
Looks good, but i would have flipped the wood so that inviting split was at the top where it would be utilized.

Looks very nice though.
I have flipped the wood so that the big opening is up top. She crawled into the wood during the night and is still there. :)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Looks really good! But what is the front made of? The lid? If yes, how do you keep the substrate from falling out? I'd love to make a clear plastic box enclosure, but I can't seem to find a nice looking solution for that issue.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
Looks really good! But what is the front made of? The lid? If yes, how do you keep the substrate from falling out? I'd love to make a clear plastic box enclosure, but I can't seem to find a nice looking solution for that issue.
I bought a plastic shoe box from Joanne's. It came already ventilated with 8 holes. I assume to keep shoes aired out. It had a divider in the container that I took out and that gave it 4 more holes. There are 8 additional holes that my husband drilled into the plastic. He had a drill bit that was able to make the holes identical to the existing holes. The box was $16, but Joanne's was doing a 50% off sale on all containers so I paid $8.

It opens from 2 places from the top (now front) and one from the side (now top). The top (now front) is clear because I cut off the flat part of the lid and left a 1cm lip around it. Then I had a piece of acrylic cut for it at Lowe's. I glued the two pieces together with clear apoxy glue. The piece of acrylic I bought was $1, but I screwed it up and my hubs had to go buy another piece. The glue was $4 or $5.

I used a box cutter (after measuring) to repeatedly score and cut the piece of the lid away that I didn't want and then glued down the acrylic. Cutting the lid was the most annoying part of it. I need to find a better way to do that. So the box stands on its end and has one opening on the top that I use. The one on the now front just stays put and nothing leaks out because the lid locks on and I didnt modify the locking mechanism.

I seriously love this box and I really love how inexpensive it was for me to make. I can tell my T loves her enclosure way more than the little KK I had her in because she started making a web today. Pic is below, but im not sure if you can see the web very well in the pic.
Resized_20161225_162904.jpg

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
Wow, nice cage. Looks like something @Abyss uses.
I ordered some enclosures from him, but I was shopping and ran into the shoe box at Joanne's. It made me want to try out making one for myself. I honestly thought I'd fail hard but I'm really happy with the results.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
I have to tell you all that this project wasn't without a bunch of little problems. First I told the guy at Lowe's to cut the wrong size piece of acrylic and realized it as he was cutting. So I just had him cut me a 2nd piece right then and there and bought both pieces, but he only charged me $1 per piece so I was okay with that.

Then I messed up the 1st round with the acrylic because I used silicone glue and not apoxy. My husband went and bought me another piece of acrylic. When he came back, he told me the guy at Lowe's made him buy a whole section of acrylic and charged my husband $10. I laughed so hard. My husband swears it's because I'm a girl that the guy charged me so cheaply. I don't know about all that. I think it was a mistake somehow.

Another thing I manged to do was stab myself in the thigh with the box cutter while cutting off the section of the lid that I didn't need. It's a decent little puncture wound, but I'm sure I don't need stitches or anything and it seems to be fine 2 days later, so that worked out.

It was a fun project. I already ordered 2 enclosures, but saw the sale on the shoebox and figured why not? Those other enclosures I ordered will still get used, so it's all good.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
I ordered some enclosures from him, but I was shopping and ran into the shoe box at Joanne's. It made me want to try out making one for myself. I honestly thought I'd fail hard but I'm really happy with the results.
Yup, its not overly difficult and i also always offer to get on the phone and explain exactly how i do everything so that ppl can do them themselves (i enjoy making/selling them, but i have no issue helping if need be).
Generally mine are bought in most cases by ppl who dont have the time to DIY. The rnclosures actually build much faster then the adult hides. Those are alot more intricate/unique an make much longer to get just rite.