My avic avic is sick

fullmetalcommunist

Arachnopeon
I'm really worried about my Avic. Got him from a shady pet store (yeah, I know) like 2 years ago and have no idea how old he is.

He has had a sort of tremor while walking for the last couple of months, but still had enough strength to hold to the side of the tank. It perplexed me but didn't look like DKS, at least not the videos I've seen where the spider is twitching all over the place.

I asked someone about it and they said that if it is DKS there's nothing I can do and he'll die soon anyways.

He didn't die, and he still has control of his limbs, the tremor is way more like how my own hands shake than it is dramatic spasms that I see when ppl call it DKS.

Ever since I got this T like 2 years ago, he seldom eats, maybe once every two months he will take a cricket but I haven't had any success with superworms or dubias either. He has lost a ton of weight.

He started hanging out near the bottom of the tank, I thought oh yay maybe he's hungry! Tried to feed, wouldn't take. He has gotten so so much smaller and less energetic from when I first got him.

Today he is actually sitting on the ground and curled up. I misted the other side of the tank, and he responded to the mist by turning away from it, so he can still move.

I am worried transferring him to spider ICU will just cause more stress, theres no mold in the tank or anything that could hurt him (unless somehow he injured himself on a decoration, but I've never actually heard of that being more than a hypothetical concern) and there should be plenty of ventilation.

I think he must just be old, but it still hurts to see. Is there anything I can do to help him? Pic of the tank for reference, I usually use a water dish that is higher up but I switched it out for the brown dish since he seems to be staying on the ground.

My room is a bit chilly which I've always worried might be a problem but I've been constantly reassured that if it's warm enough for me it is for the Ts.

I feel horrible that I haven't been able to get him to eat enough but I'm not sure if it's that or if he's just a mature male at the end of his life. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

fullmetalcommunist

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I figured. 😞 It makes me really sad that he probably spent most of his life trapped in a tiny deli cup at a pet store. I know they don't have nervous systems like ours but that doesn't necessarily mean they don't suffer. When I first took him home (he was sold to me as a female but definitely male) he was always running around the tank looking for someone to freak with so I realized then that he probably would not live that long. I wish I knew how to make the passing more comfortable at least.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
As above. Sounds like an MM at the end of his life.

An ICU would just make things worse so don't bother.

Regarding "DKS", I have a thread which deals with some of the misinformation about it, goes over the known causes and treatments (where available) for those causes.

Dyskinesia in tarantulas

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I don't see any pictures. Please post pictures of the enclosure and your Avic.

Do you know if he's indeed a mature male? If so, for how long?

fullmetalcommunist

Arachnopeon
Hey guys! Sorry for the late response. Here is a pic of him the day I posted this. I put some shade over the top of the enclosure to try and afford some comfort, switched out the normal dish for a shallower/lower one because I figured climbing was an issue, and just left him alone. He's back on the wall now, but I think he's getting close to the end of his life either way on account of the shaking.

Attachments

Last edited:

fullmetalcommunist

Arachnopeon
He was on the ground again today, I decided to mist the tank and he slowly but surely climbed up the walls to drink. Not sure why he didn't just drink from the dish on the ground. He lost his footing, but caught himself on the cup and walls before hitting the ground. He did not hit his abdomen on anything on the way down but he could have. This is really heartbreaking. I haven't had a T die on me or get sick yet 😥 I usually overflow the water dish rather than misting, but I started misting in case overflowing the water dish hasn't been enough. Should I move him to a tank that has less distance between the top and the sub or add more sub? Or should I just leave him and not mess with the enclosure until he passes?