My asian forest scorpion won’t eat and it’s been at least weeks

Eldritch Preacher

Arachnosquire
600FEE4F-D955-4372-B9DC-5618F41AFF09.jpeg My asian forest scorpion won’t eat and it’s been at least weeks if not months since he last ate. When I got him in February he was on the smaller side so I assumed he wasn’t fully mature. Upon purchase the clerk dented his tail in but luckily he can still use the restroom. He hasn’t molted and doesn’t appear to be any time soon. I’m just worrying a lot due to his injury. Any advice?

Attachments

zyphonix223

Arachnosquire
I got a scorpion (P. Imperator) around that size in July and didn't eat until just last week. (other than a tiny mealworm and a wild grasshopper)
But she ate everything I gave her when I prey killed everything.
So try that and see if it works; I also moved her to a way smaller plastic container from a 10 gallon tank to reduce stress. Hope it eats soon. :)

Eldritch Preacher

Arachnosquire
I got a scorpion (P. Imperator) around that size in July and didn't eat until just last week. (other than a tiny mealworm and a wild grasshopper)
But she ate everything I gave her when I prey killed everything.
So try that and see if it works; I also moved her to a way smaller plastic container from a 10 gallon tank to reduce stress. Hope it eats soon. :)
I always pre kill the prey items as I’m scared of them getting lost in there if they get out the tongs or away from my scorpion. I have heard something about higher temps help with their hunger and molting rate. Does that have any merit?

zyphonix223

Arachnosquire
I always pre kill the prey items as I’m scared of them getting lost in there if they get out the tongs or away from my scorpion. I have heard something about higher temps help with their hunger and molting rate. Does that have any merit?
Well if the temperature is higher the scorpion should be more active unless it is too hot.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Ok new question, what’s the best place for a heat pad when I don’t have a heat regulator?
On the side of terrarium at one end of the terrarium. You should invest in a thermostat because UTH can overheat which can kill a pet or even be a fire hazard.

Eldritch Preacher

Arachnosquire
On the side of terrarium at one end of the terrarium. You should invest in a thermostat because UTH can overheat which can kill a pet or even be a fire hazard.
Should it be the side he has set up his home or the other side, the reason I don’t use it as I saw it reaching temps over 100F

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Should it be the side he has set up his home or the other side, the reason I don’t use it as I saw it reaching temps over 100F

It should be on the side the scorpion set up its home, you can provide a second home with appropriate sized piece of cork bark or similar item at the other end if it feels the need for a cooler temp. I can not stress a thermostat enough.

Eldritch Preacher

Arachnosquire
It should be on the side the scorpion set up its home, you can provide a second home with appropriate sized piece of cork bark or similar item at the other end if it feels the need for a cooler temp. I can not stress a thermostat enough.
I have a thermostat for my snake which is the only reason why I know the tempts the mat can get to. I’ll be trying to order one soon so I can regular the temperature. After I get it should I put the mat back on the bottom of the tank?

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
I have a thermostat for my snake which is the only reason why I know the tempts the mat can get to. I’ll be trying to order one soon so I can regular the temperature. After I get it should I put the mat back on the bottom of the tank?
Always mount it on the side, scorpions will burrow to escape heat. You do not want it to burrow towards hotter temps.

Eldritch Preacher

Arachnosquire
Always mount it on the side, scorpions will burrow to escape heat. You do not want it to burrow towards hotter temps.
Well the reason I ask is he chose a place with almost no substrate. I made a hill on one side for burrowing but I only left like two inches deep on the other side as it was for the water dish initially (I moved it to the center and put cork bark in the corner) so he’s living under the bark instead of the wooden tunnel entrance.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Well the reason I ask is he chose a place with almost no substrate. I made a hill on one side for burrowing but I only left like two inches deep on the other side as it was for the water dish initially (I moved it to the center and put cork bark in the corner) so he’s living under the bark instead of the wooden tunnel entrance.
With AFS at least 4" minimum substrate depth, minimum, and it probably prefers the cork bark as it may offer better cover and less exposure.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
I’m kinda sad about that as I was told my set up looked good. I’ll try to get more substrate for him.
They will burrow. Though having hides in my experience decreases their burrowing activities. Two inches is too shallow if your's chooses to create a burrow. ;)

Eldritch Preacher

Arachnosquire
They will burrow. Though having hides in my experience decreases their burrowing activities. Two inches is too shallow if your's chooses to create a burrow. ;)
I’m quite low on cash currently but I’ll see how much I can get. He’s out of his hide a lot over the bast couples days which has me worried. Still not eating and I have to figure out which side to have the heat on.