My Asian forest scorpion unexpectedly gave birth. I’ve done research but now I have a couple questions.

Alexcosta96

Arachnopeon
From what I’ve read, it seems the general consensus is to feed the mother so she doesn’t eat her babies. I’ll be taking care of that after work since I just noticed early this morning she had babies on her. Otherwise it seems best to let mama do her job and leave the babies alone till they molt and leave her back. Then I can pluck them out with tweezers and keep them in cups or the like.

Now I have 2 questions to make sure I got everything right.
1) how common is it for babies to climb plastic? I keep mama in a tote I drilled some air holes into on the side, the holes look smaller than the babies buT I don’t want to risk them getting out and dying and my girlfriend being furious with me. If it helps, mama can’t climb the sides, she uses the air holes to get a step up to the ceiling.

2) do I feed the babies anything when they’re on their mother’s back or just let them be until they leave, then feed small crickets?

thanks for any help I really want to do right by these scorplings.

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Definitely leave them with the mother and don't worry about feeding them until they are off of their mother's back. Try to offer the mother food, but make sure to remove the prey item if the mother doesn't take it. How to proceed can vary greatly between different scorpions, what is the species?