My Arizona blonde eating 1st time

Simonethesinger

Arachnopeon
So I got up tonight and saw my Arizona blonde in the side of its tank with a morio worm which I tried to feed it at 8pm night I’m in uk and now it’s got it ..and it’s 1am
I just felt so scared as this is my first time seeing him with a worm

I take it by morning he would have eaten it?
I’m just worrying as it’s my 1st tarantula and I guess it was scary seeing the feed first time ..this all normal?
As before he wouldn’t eat anything so I’m just glad he is now

😫💕🕷

Simonethesinger

Arachnopeon
Don't worry. This is only scary for the worm 👍
Ok

I really hope he’s ok I just got scared as I’ve never seen him eat before I guess it’s cause I’m always sleeping at night when he’s eating lol

just glad he’s eating though

how long does it take an Arizona blonde to eat a morio worm? He’s just coming to
An adult
Too

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
This will take hours. Exactly how long varies. Don’t worry. This is just what the spider is best suited to do. In the long run, you’re likely to worry more when the spider won’t eat, which also happens some of the time, as part of the normal way they live. Relax. The spider knows what it’s doing. Enjoy 👍

Numismatica

Arachnosquire
Wow your first T is the AZ Blonde and you live in the UK. MAD RESPECT! I live in AZ and still haven’t gotten one because there are laws against selling them here. I see them in the wild somewhat often but I can't bring myself to take them. I'll take other insects though lol.

Simonethesinger

Arachnopeon
This will take hours. Exactly how long varies. Don’t worry. This is just what the spider is best suited to do. In the long run, you’re likely to worry more when the spider won’t eat, which also happens some of the time, as part of the normal way they live. Relax. The spider knows what it’s doing. Enjoy 👍
Thanks it’s now 5am ish uk and think he’s eaten it however he’s not moved yet is that normal?

I really should sleep it was a real interesting evening 😫

Thanks for the reply

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
he’s not moved yet is that normal
That is, by far, the most common tarantula behavior: not moving. All tarantulas sit still for long periods of time, and this species is toward the least active end of the spectrum.
This is part of the reason many of us get so many tarantulas: so that something interesting might be going on with one of them.

It's wonderful, really, being able to travel without worrying about kennels or pet-sitters. Do not be put off by the slowness of their lives.
There are still thrills, and innumerable fascinating aspects to study in how these alien creatures live.

But for you, best advice is not to worry. Post when you have questions, but most of the time nothing will be happening and nothing will be wrong.
Welcome and have fun 🌈

Last edited:
You are lucky yours is eating.
They can fast for really long period of time.
I bought my adult female and it took 500 days for her to finally eat in my care after she moulted.Now I feed once every 3-4 weeks only and still she refuses meals sometimes
Do not over feed!!!
Regards Konstantin

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
You are lucky yours is eating.
They can fast for really long period of time.
I bought my adult female and it took 500 days for her to finally eat in my care after she moulted.Now I feed once every 3-4 weeks only and still she refuses meals sometimes
Do not over feed!!!
Regards Konstantin
I've literally just made the mistake of feeding my AF too frequently now she's sealed up 😅

Will not be seeing her for a very, very, VERY long time

TreMul

Arachnopeon
TS, my Arizona Blond is a picky eater too. He never pounces on food. Instead, after I walk away, I just never see it again. He won't eat dubias/mealworms/super worms either. Just crickets.

Simonethesinger

Arachnopeon
He’s been in the corner today with his legs over his eyes again :( he moved into a new enclosure 11th October at first he was in his hide but lately he’s been different I’ve gently nudged him with my paintbrush and he’s moving his abdomen up

I know he’s stressed but not sure what’s causing it? His substrate is dry enough water and a decent sized enclosure and hide

why’s he stressed? there are no insects in his hide and also at room temperature

I just worry :(
He’s an Arizona blonde too

Numismatica

Arachnosquire
Maybe he’s at the point in his life where all he can think about is mating? I’m noob but somehow I’m attached to this thread and that’s my 2 cents lol

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
Maybe he’s at the point in his life where all he can think about is mating? I’m noob but somehow I’m attached to this thread and that’s my 2 cents lol
I don’t think he is at that point. Otherwise he would be wondering around. There are many reason ts get stressed light, noise, prodding, even you just walking to the enclosure. They can pick up the slightest vibrations. Just give him a couple days to himself.

Simonethesinger

Arachnopeon
I don’t think he is at that point. Otherwise he would be wondering around. There are many reason ts get stressed light, noise, prodding, even you just walking to the enclosure. They can pick up the slightest vibrations. Just give him a couple days to himself.
Thanks

yeah I’m gonna leave him alone only change his water etc :)
Also he’s only now just an adult such a docile little thing bless he’s sensitive to anything

hopefully he de stresses soon :)

He’s been in the corner today with his legs over his eyes again :( he moved into a new enclosure 11th October at first he was in his hide but lately he’s been different I’ve gently nudged him with my paintbrush and he’s moving his abdomen up

I know he’s stressed but not sure what’s causing it? His substrate is dry enough water and a decent sized enclosure and hide

why’s he stressed? there are no insects in his hide and also at room temperature

Hi
It took about year and a half and a moult for my AF Aphonopelma calcodes to settle in her new home and start eating after I bought her.Now the winter is close and its been 60 days since she last ate too.
You need to have extra patience with those species.
Also my AF Nhandu cromatus took 6 months to find its hide and start using it.
It takes time for tarantulas to settle in.
Regards Konstantin

Craig73

Arachnoangel

When he moves his abdomen up in the air it’s a signal to you he is not happy with what you are doing and if you keep at it his next level of defense will likely be hair kicking. He’s giving you the opportunity to back off. Leaving him be and just feeding and watering is your best option.

You also just rehoused him so it starts the clock all over again for him to settle in; could be weeks, could be months.

Imagine you get moved against your will to a foreign place you have no idea where, don’t speak the language, only have the clothes on your back, and no money. You’d be highly stressed until you get your bearings and stability. Think about that in terms of how your tarantula has been relocated and needs time to acclimate.