My A. Geniculata biting the wire mesh!

SallyMcTit

Arachnopeon
I've recently noticed my A.geniculata (3-3.5") constantly climbing the side of the enclosure and hanging off the wire mesh and actually trying to bite through it. My question is, is this just normal Tarantula bamboozling or is it something that I did to the enclosure that makes it climb up to the ceiling and bite the wire mesh. Typically the temperature is kept between 20-26C and the humidity is kept at 65-80%

Attachments

Emi248

Arachnoknight
Maybe the humidity is too high, but really she could fall and burst from that position

SallyMcTit

Arachnopeon
Maybe the humidity is too high, but really she could fall and burst from that position
Currently at 64% and 24.1C so I doubt its the humidity but I'll let the substrate dry a bit more incase it is and yeah I'm extremely scared of her falling or damaging a fang on the mesh.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've recently noticed my A.geniculata (3-3.5") constantly climbing the side of the enclosure and hanging off the wire mesh and actually trying to bite through it. My question is, is this just normal Tarantula bamboozling or is it something that I did to the enclosure that makes it climb up to the ceiling and bite the wire mesh. Typically the temperature is kept between 20-26C and the humidity is kept at 65-80%
Sally your T, SPLAT, lives in a death trap!

Research screen top replacement for god sake

The mere fact you both are vomiting humidity values etc means you have not done the below!

RESEARCH!!

SallyMcTit

Arachnopeon
Sally your T, SPLAT, lives in a death trap!

Research screen top replacement for god sake

The mere fact you both are vomiting humidity values etc means you have not done the below!

RESEARCH!!
I'll get on that now, just read about it and realised how detrimental it can be to your TS. Bought the T in that enclosure and was told it was fine for it until it grows a bit bigger, my mistake.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Apart from the fall deathh trap, screen mesh on the exo-terras are dangerous, you are lucky it being like that did not get its tarsal claws stuck in thhe mesh. You need to hhouse it differently, but you also need to replace the mesh with drilled acrycllic. Thhose extoterras are generally not all thhat suitable for heavy bodied terrestrials because they do not allow for adding a safe level of substrate where there is only 1.5x DLS from sub. to lid.

Also stop measuring and maintaining humidity, and also that substrate looks awfully dark (moisture).

SallyMcTit

Arachnopeon
Apart from the fall deathh trap, screen mesh on the exo-terras are dangerous, you are lucky it being like that did not get its tarsal claws stuck in thhe mesh. You need to hhouse it differently, but you also need to replace the mesh with drilled acrycllic. Thhose extoterras are generally not all thhat suitable for heavy bodied terrestrials because they do not allow for adding a safe level of substrate where there is only 1.5x DLS from sub. to lid.

Also stop measuring and maintaining humidity, and also that substrate looks awfully dark (moisture).
The top view picture was taken almost 2-3 weeks ago just after I added new substrate, water bowl, hide etc. And yeah I didn't realised how bad they were until I did some research, currently will be moving the T to a larger plastic aquarium (similar to exo terra faunarium) until I can get something to replace the mesh.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
and also that substrate looks awfully dark (moisture).
It's probably Spider Life (aka overpriced sedge peat & coarse vermiculite mix) which is basically black anyway.

currently will be moving the T to a larger plastic aquarium (similar to exo terra faunarium) until I can get something to replace the mesh.
Either acrylic with holes drilled into it, expanded metal, or perforated sheet metal are all safe alternatives to woven wire mesh. You should be able to order all 3 cut to size (you'll have to drill/melt holes into the acrylic yourself though), any of those options can be fixed to the lid using aquarium silicone (you can pick stuff that sets in like 2hrs and stops smelling after 24hrs off eBay/Amazon for a fiver).

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
The top view picture was taken almost 2-3 weeks ago just after I added new substrate, water bowl, hide etc. And yeah I didn't realised how bad they were until I did some research, currently will be moving the T to a larger plastic aquarium (similar to exo terra faunarium) until I can get something to replace the mesh.
Well its okay, and glad to hear you are willing to rehouse it, I would do that ASAP since it is climbing on the mesh now.
It's probably Spider Life (aka overpriced sedge peat & coarse vermiculite mix) which is basically black anyway.
Ohh okay I see, I hadnt heard of that stuff before, hhopefully its just that and not really moist.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Ohh okay I see, I hadnt heard of that stuff before, hopefully its just that and not really moist.
Yeah, I think you guys across the pond mostly use sphagnum for peat which makes it various shades of brown so if you're not used to seeing sedge peat then it always looks sopping wet (even if it isn't).

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah, I think you guys across the pond mostly use sphagnum for peat which makes it various shades of brown so if you're not used to seeing sedge peat then it always looks sopping wet (even if it isn't).
Yes we do mainly only get sphagnum peat moss over here, which always is a lighter brown naturally. Glad you hhave more information than I do, cause I was thinking that geniculata isnt going to be fond of substrate that moist, at first I thought it may be the reason it was climbing. But it sounds like its just sedge peat so all good, thhanks, I learned something about your peat just now!

8 legged

Arachnoprince
sadly my machines are so booked I can't get my production run up and running.

Hopefully soon
Unfortunately, I am not familiar with it, but are there any amateur machines that are in relation to the hobby in terms of acquisition costs? Or does it only pay off if you use it professionally?

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Unfortunately, I am not familiar with it, but are there any amateur machines that are in relation to the hobby in terms of acquisition costs? Or does it only pay off if you use it professionally?
I am a graphic designer and work in retail display so I have 4 table cutters available (when not slated for other work) and tons of scrap, top grade Plex/Acrylic. I haven't tried as a venture yet, but when I do I will let you know.
But even on a hobby level, it is totally worth it. The speed at which you can drill and cut multiple units is ridiculous. I can cut a half dozen lids, with all the holes in a matter of minutes.
View attachment T Holes.mp4

Last edited: