My a. genic wont come down

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just bought a 3 inch a. genic and its been on the sides of the glass for the last 5 days. On day 3 i woke up to find him digging out his burrow in his hide finally. Then he went right back to clinging on the walls... Everytime i try to feed him the hopper mouse i got him he justs crawls away from it... only the top layer of bedding is dry, could that be a problem? Heres a pic...

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you've only had it for 5 days, it could take a few weeks for it to settle in and get comfortable. Make sure you don't put any more moisture in the substrate and please add some. Your T could easily hurt itself if it fell from that distance. I would say around 6 inches from the top would be alot better.

Last edited:

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Add more peat or w.e substrate you are using as stated above and give it some time to settle. Some Ts need anywhere from the day after to a few weeks to settle, if a month comes and past that and it's still hangin then we have a problem, good luck with it, i hope it settles in soon.:) Also how big is that so called hopper mouse? I know your genic is only a 3inch sling and if that mouse is big, the sling due to not being settled and due its size in comparison to the mouse might flee from such large prey. Did you try crickets?

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Seconding the people telling you to quit with the mouse and stick to bugs, and also to add way more dirt.

...does that sign say "caution: spitting spider"? :?

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Seconding the people telling you to quit with the mouse and stick to bugs, and also to add way more dirt.

...does that sign say "caution: spitting spider"? :?
Oh yea, I forgot to ask that in my post, but it looks like it does...:?

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
LOL, yes it says spitting spider. I just didnt want any of my dumb friends looking over the top of the cage and gettin haired in the eyes... I didnt put Caution this spider shoots urticating hairs! Because it was too long and also, i dont anyone would understand what that meant... So basically i put somethiing down that was short and would keep people from gettin those things in there eyes...

jharr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had a B. albipolosum once that hung from the top of her enclosure a lot. She would put her fangs up through the mesh and pull. It was totally escape-proof, so she never accomplished anything, but I had to give her an 'A' for tenacity! Then she would lose her grip on the wall and hang from one leg, dangling over the ground. This occasionally resulted in a fall of about 10" to the floor of the enclosure, but she never once got hurt. I think that must have just been dumb luck.

Good luck with your T. A. genic is a beauty!

J--

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i agree with the above post...start feeding crix! the hopper is probly stressing the spider out....could be one reason its on the top...the mouse can get up there! also...id leave her alone for a few days...dont try to feed her until she calms down and is settled in.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I had a B. albipolosum once that hung from the top of her enclosure a lot. She would put her fangs up through the mesh and pull. It was totally escape-proof, so she never accomplished anything, but I had to give her an 'A' for tenacity! Then she would lose her grip on the wall and hang from one leg, dangling over the ground. This occasionally resulted in a fall of about 10" to the floor of the enclosure, but she never once got hurt. I think that must have just been dumb luck.

Good luck with your T. A. genic is a beauty!

J--
That is lucky. If that were to happen over the water dish from that hight, the dish is quit a bit harder than the substrate so it would have been easy to get injured then.

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Im goin to buy some more substrate and dry it out well... thanks for the help.

jharr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That is lucky. If that were to happen over the water dish from that hight, the dish is quit a bit harder than the substrate so it would have been easy to get injured then.
She did fall in the water dish a time or two. Also, the substrate was dry sand (dumb rookie at the time) which does not make for soft landings! The only thing I can think of was that she may have been slightly dehydrated from the dry substrate and so her body was a little bit more flexible upon impact.

Anyway, she went on to a beautiful exhibit at the Seattle Zoo when I moved to So. Cal.. That was 10 yrs ago, so she may still be there! I am getting into the hobby again, but being older and wiser, I am doing a ton of research on the species I want to keep before I buy.

J--

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well that was a good lesson to keep in mind. Welcome back to the hobby. :clap:

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
She did fall in the water dish a time or two. Also, the substrate was dry sand (dumb rookie at the time) which does not make for soft landings! The only thing I can think of was that she may have been slightly dehydrated from the dry substrate and so her body was a little bit more flexible upon impact.

Anyway, she went on to a beautiful exhibit at the Seattle Zoo when I moved to So. Cal.. That was 10 yrs ago, so she may still be there! I am getting into the hobby again, but being older and wiser, I am doing a ton of research on the species I want to keep before I buy.

J--
Very lucky you are! Glad to see you're back and you know how to setup all your Ts this time, as for the OP, sounds good, get some more substrate in there, give it some time to settle then try to feed with crickets..