"Must have" NW species?

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Let's hear em. What are your must have new world species? What's the T that you can find yourself just getting lost gazing at and watching it do its thing? There's so many species out there in compiling my list I realized who knows better? You guys!

So far I own
A. Versicolor
G. Pulchripes
B. Vagans
H. Sp columbia
(Soon to have) A. Avicularia

The list
A. Purpurea
B. Albopilosum
B. Smithi
Euathlus sp red/yellow
T. Cyaneolum
A. Geniculata
G. Pulchra
C. Cyaneopubescens
P. Cambridgei

Last edited:

Abyss

Arachnoknight
A. versacolor hands down is mu fav NW.

Nothing like watching them build those intricate tunnels above ground in the foliage. They have amazing coloring as adults and go through some dramatic color morphs from sling to adulthood. Great feeding response ime.plus arboreal setups look the best when done rite imo. Pretty much everything you could want in a T except size as they are not one of the BIG species

Bread

Arachnopeon
Not on your list but for one to watch my little L.parahybana never stops digging, and never refuses a tasty roach.
My C. Cyaneopubescens is always waving his butt about webbing.
My P.cancerides is my best eater, does flying leaps and barrel rolls when taking down prey, also walks about like one of those Lippizaner stallions raising his feet high. very amusing :)

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
G iheringi/pulchra/anthracina
Pamp/Phormictopus spp
T cyaneolum
M robustum
The list is pretty much endless because everytime you get those " must haves" somebody will give you another and another watch
B albopilosum
B emilia

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
B smithi -- the classic. My fave: B emilia.
Can't go wrong with any Brachy really.
An oddly, I would also have to add a psycho rock G rosea -- a more modern classic. lol

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
So many great ones to choose from! In order:

M. robustum
A. seemanni
N. incei
A. chalcodes
P. cambridgei
C. cyaneopubescens

cold blood

Staff member
Psalmopoeus cambridgei no doubt, love that they dont turn down food. :) And their beauty
Everybody needs to experience the P. cam...such a great spider, and so affordable and available, too.
N. incei
P. cambridgei
C. cyaneopubescens
These, too....gbb is a classic and incei are just really cool little spiders in so many ways.

N. chromatus or A. geniculata are also great ts to own.

Can't go wrong with B. smithi, either.

P. cancerides are great to raise.

I also vote for all avics.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Nice! It looks like I have a few to look up now! There were a couple listed I'm not familiar with

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Well after a little research I've decided to add all the recommendations to my list, aside from L.parahybana, I've just heard they have a bad attitude and horrible hair, am I mistaken?

I'm also not sure about psycho pet rock yet either, opinions

louise f

Arachnoangel
Everybody needs to experience the P. cam...such a great spider, and so affordable and available, too.
Yes CB that they do, it is a really great spider. Would be a shame if people didn`t get to experience such a beautiful T ;)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Thrixopelma Lagunas/okteri/cyaneolum
Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens
Cyclosternum Fasciatum
Phormitocus Auratus
Brachypelma Boehmei or Emilia
Aphonopelma Caniceps
Grammostola Pulchra
Lasiodora Parahybana
Nhandu Chromatus
Psalmopoeus Irminia or Cambridgei
Any Euathlus sp.
Theraposinae sp. Panama
Pterinopelma Sazimai

And there is so much more.

Of course everyones opinion will be different. You will have your own taste. Just browse some sepcies online and you will find something that gem you are looking for :)

Last edited:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Well after a little research I've decided to add all the recommendations to my list, aside from L.parahybana, I've just heard they have a bad attitude and horrible hair, am I mistaken?
Almost every large NW is going to have nasty hairs. That is just once of the joys of the hobby heheh.

A. Genic, L. Parahybana and N. Chromatus are a must in any collection.

Jerry

Arachnobaron
I'm really looking at B albiceps I think it will be my next T love the contrast between the darker legs and rump and the super blond carapase

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I'm really looking at B albiceps I think it will be my next T love the contrast between the darker legs and rump and the super blond carapase
I like these too. They are nice heavy built Ts with good appetites. They aren't pricey either. Thats a good one.

That's the same reason I love the Aphonopelma Caniceps. The dark legs, abdomen and a golden tan carapace. Even though you only see it in the juveniles n subadults. Lovely!

Last edited:

crlovel

Arachnopeon
A hentzi - they might be right in your back yard, down in Missouri. They're a lovely T. Also A. chalcodes.

Last edited:

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
The ones I cannot justify spending the money on but want:

Xenesthis sp. "Bright"
Pamphobeteus insignis
Pamphobeteus sp. "Chicken Spider"
Pterinopelma sazimai
Theraphosa apophysis

The ones I have and am in love with:

Xenesthis sp. "Blue"
Theraphosa blondi
Chromatophelma cyaneopubescens

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
My vote will always be for B. albopilosum and G. pulchra. No collection is complete without, at least, one of each of them.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
aside from L.parahybana, I've just heard they have a bad attitude and horrible hair, am I mistaken?
I've never noticed something near a defensive attitude with the ones I had. Their temperament (in general, so don't consider the single 'crazy' specimen now) is nothing to worry about if you ask me, about the hairs I have no clue. I have a sort of technique which I love to use when those urticating "needles" bomber are involved. I always, the more gently possible, remove the top/open the glass cage, I try my best to never piss off those too much: work for me.

Alas I end up with hairs, mostly M.robustum ones, in my hand when I need to work for maintenance in her enclosure, but only due to her form of preventive defense; she loves to leave the hairs on the (quite little) web, on the substrate, near the cork bark, near the burrow entrance... everywhere: this work in the wild against their predators, sending those away.