Must-have Aphonopelma species?

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Chalcodes, Steindachneri, Eutylenum, gabeli, bicoloratum, moorae, moderatum, sp diamond back, Anax

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Yes all of them. They are all good.

If you can only get one, I can't help you. I have 21 and they're all great. You should get all of them.

Edit: Okay fine A gabeli.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Just get an Aphonopelma calendar. That’s 12 right there, and you can even hold it with without being crucified.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmm... I have a couple in mind and I have possibly silly reasons as to why I'm especially interested in them.

A. chalcodes is possibly the most common Aphonopelma to come across (other than seemanni... maybe) and this was the tarantula that Andrew Smith used to make his first documentary, back in the mid '90s.

A. hentzi has the honour of (likely) being the species that the late Dr. William J. Baerg, author of the classic Tarantula book from 1958, worked with during his extensive studies during the early 1920s to the late 1950s.

A. moderatum is possibly the most striking of them all... and is the one that Stan Schultz got bitten by the most ! :O

The first two can definitely enter my collection as they are available as slings from my dealer of choice. It's just a matter of what'll still be available when the time comes.

Last edited:

Dead Blue Deer

Arachnopeon
I really do love my A chalcodes. She's beautiful, interesting to watch, and out almost all the time. She's also extremely cute, and has never kicked so much as a hair at me. (I might be a little biased toward this species)

EoUwJ48UcAEpaVJ.jpg

I'm super interested in other Aphonopelmas, though. A. vorhiesi is certainly on my list, as is a female A. catalina.

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
I currently own:

2x A. Bicoloratum
2x A. Burica
2x A. sp. Diamondback
A. Hentzi Female
A. Seemanni

A. Moderatum female on the way

On my wish list:

A. Gabeli
A. Moorae

Out of all of them my Bicoloratum and Hentzi are my favorites. Active and veracious eaters. Gotta back everyone on the Hentzi too. It might be the most common Tarantula in North America, but it is a charmer and a must own.

Dying to get my hands on a female Gabeli.

It’s one of the kind you can find it in the Joshua Tree National Park.

I have one.

https://wsc.nmbe.ch/species/37135/Aphonopelma_joshua
And removing animals from National Parks is illegal... Wonder how people are getting their hands on these 😏?

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
And removing animals from National Parks is illegal... Wonder how people are getting their hands on these 😏?
To answer your question / curiosity, it was given to me, along with several other tarantulas, from the tarantula keeper who is living around the area.

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
To answer your question / curiosity, it was given to me, along with several other tarantulas, from the tarantula keeper who is living around the area.
Lol I wasn't accusing you personally of anything, just pointing out they had to come from somewhere illegally.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
As long as they weren't wild caught on BLM land. I don't even fart near BLM park rangers.

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
As long as they weren't wild caught on BLM land. I don't even fart near BLM park rangers.
Collecting non-endangered animals on BLM land is actually legal in the U.S. it's National Parks and on some regulated State land where its illegal. Now collecting fossils or archeological items on BLM land is still a huge no no.

But enough about that, back to Aphonopelma's we love.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Lol I wasn't accusing you personally of anything, just pointing out they had to come from somewhere illegally.
Do not worry, I was not even thinking that. Just genuinely answering your question / curiosity.

Technically speaking it’s WC one, whoever caught it that is.

Anyway, currently keeping:

Aphonopelma bicoloratum
Aphonopelma mooreae x2
Aphonopelma joshua
Aphonopelma chalcodes

basin79

ArachnoGod
That's with size reduction?? I can only imagine the glory of the full version.
Aye, had to knock it down from 12.4mb to under 800kb. Still worked just doesn't allow you to zoom in.