Mushrooms ???

Arachnokid 93

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Okay,
I found a couple little mushrooms in my obt cage now this is a first to me. The mushrooms are about 1/2 inch long and have white stems and a copper colored top. I can not give you pics because I picked them out when I saw them. Now I know that mold is harmful to tarantula but are mushrooms ?

grnlfr

Arachnopeon
Mushrooms do best in moist areas so I would think that some species are fine around mushrooms because they both hang out in the same areas but not for a low humity loving tarantula like an obt, bracys, or grammastolas.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Both mold and mushrooms are fungus--if the conditions are right for one, they're right for both. I'd get rid of them ASAP and dry the tank out. If this species likes it dry like the other person said, there's your long-term solution. Nothing unwanted ever grows in a dry tank. :)

Arachnokid 93

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks I got rid of them like you said. The problem was hat the t had tipped the water dish leaving a wet spot in the soil. well thank you for you advice and comments.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Haha, tarantulas are such a pain in the butt sometimes. Maybe try putting some sort of wide saucer under the water dish? Or super-glue it to a saucer, the wide base might make it harder to flip. I wouldn't go for a heavier dish, though, not with a burrower.

Walter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mushrooms??? :eek: ... I L O V E mushrooms! :D ;P

Seriously, I've had 3 small mushrooms once in my B.smithi terrarium, obviously there was too much humidity inside and I noticed spots of mold developed in the corners.
The only reasonable thing to do is to get rid of whole substrate and keep the new one bit more dry.