Mushrooms

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
Hello. I came home from Texas to find this. I usually don’t care about mushrooms but I found this and I’m wondering if it’s safe or edible or if I’ll just get sick from it. I found it under cork that I posted asking about but there are a ton of lil ones in the soil now that are yellow.

Attachments

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I put it back under the log because I don’t mind them but it is in my room so please tell me if it’s dangerous to be round

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I talked to my old ag teacher and he said not to worry bout the white stuff but he had no clue what the mushrooms are

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Looks like leucocoprinus birnbaumii. All mushrooms are harmless to look at or touch, but this one is poisonous if you eat it

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
Highly recommend against posting a photo on a completely topic-irrelevant forum to get an ID on the edibility of a wild fungus.

Someone will jump in here with a comment about snarky replies, but for Pete's sake anyway.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Lol again I missed the key word edible 🤣🤣🤣🤣

No they are not edible.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
Highly recommend against posting a photo on a completely topic-irrelevant forum to get an ID on the edibility of a wild fungus.

Someone will jump in here with a comment about snarky replies, but for Pete's sake anyway.
Sorry. Found it in the tank and just wanted to know what it was.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
i always enjoy seeing them grow, bloom and wither away

never tried eating one :')

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah....... Don't do it, probably not the smartest idea I've heard TBH. There's a pretty slim percentage of fungi that are edible/hallucinogenic and this doesn't look like any species that I'm aware of. I grew mushrooms for years and even I wouldn't play russian roulette with a random fruiting body lol.

I talked to my old ag teacher and he said not to worry bout the white stuff but he had no clue what the mushrooms are
Yeah, don't worry about it. The white stuff is actually mycelium (quite rhizomorphic too) for the fruiting body (mushroom) that you have in your picture. Think of fungi kind of like plants or an iceberg for that matter. What you see aka a mushroom, is just a small portion of the actual fungal culture and the mycelium is the "roots". I'd honestly remove the mushroom before it drops it's spores (unless you want a whole lot more of them) and let the mycelium keep doing it's thing, breaking down waste. If you want it gone all together, then just dry down the enclosure.

Last edited:

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
Yeah....... Don't do it, probably not the smartest idea I've heard TBH. There's a pretty slim percentage of fungi that are edible/hallucinogenic and this doesn't look like any species that I'm aware of. I grew mushrooms for years and even I wouldn't play russian roulette with a random fruiting body lol.

Yeah, don't worry about it. The white stuff is actually mycelium (quite rhizomorphic too) for the fruiting body (mushroom) that you have in your picture. Think of fungi kind of like plants or an iceberg for that matter. What you see aka a mushroom, is just a small portion of the actual fungal culture and the mycelium is the "roots". I'd honestly remove the mushroom before it drops it's spores (unless you want a whole lot more of them) and let the mycelium keep doing it's thing, breaking down waste. If you want it gone all together, then just dry down the enclosure.
Thanks. The mushrooms are kinda everywhere now. I’ve seen mycelium in other tanks but this was able to spread. I don’t want to dry it because I honestly forgot about this tank and I re watered everything so the inverts are coming back. I can see the shrooms are popping up. I was going to start a colony of mushrooms for beetles but my friend messed up and lost the mycelium so I’ll have to try later.

Attachments

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
The decomposition from the mushrooms helps the plants right?
CAN help certain plants. And can kill just as easily. Fungus botanical enemy #1, Armillaria mellia. Killing off the native oaks of California.
Trivia: Armillaria is the worlds largest organism. DNA tests discovered one parent mycellium covered an area of over 25 miles.

Ranitomeya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks like leucocoprinus birnbaumii. All mushrooms are harmless to look at or touch, but this one is poisonous if you eat it
Not all mushrooms are harmless to the touch. Podostroma cornu-damae, the poison fire coral, is both poisonous to eat and causes skin irritation if touched due to toxins that can be absorbed through the skin.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Not all mushrooms are harmless to the touch. Podostroma cornu-damae, the poison fire coral, is both poisonous to eat and causes skin irritation if touched due to toxins that can be absorbed through the skin.
I just read a bunch about this fungi...apparently the toxins in it have been documented as capable of penetrating skin, but whether they have caused skin irritation from the state they are in within the mushroom remains anecdotal. If you can find a peer reviewed article indicating that it can cause skin irritation, please link. I'd love to read it. Very interesting, thanks for sharing