Mushrooms in the Terrariums

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
My Theraphosa blondi enclosure is great for mushroom growth.

-Deep natural substrate
-Warm
-Humid

So they will pop up and show themselves once in a while like this:

I did not see negative effect on the tarantula yet but sometimes her legs get covered with spores.

Did anybody have any issues with mushrooms? I see them as a cool natural decoration.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You are probably right about the negative effects but still I wouldn't want those in one of my enclosures to be honest :shifty:

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
From what I've heard with others who have had mushrooms, I wouldn't worry too much about them. Just take them out, but if multiple pop up in it's place, I'd change the sub at least.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
From what I've heard with others who have had mushrooms, I wouldn't worry too much about them. Just take them out, but if multiple pop up in it's place, I'd change the sub at least.
They have been popping up on the same spot for months. They die and get eaten by the isopods. If 10-15 show up at the same time, I may consider action though.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
If you want to control or rid the enclosure of them add some tropical springtails, they absolutely love mushrooms/fungi. My daughters 20L tank for her Eastern five lined skink with 8" of substrate came down with a serious case of mushrooms form the soil she chose. The springtails cleared them out within a month and have been going strong since.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
They have been popping up on the same spot for months. They die and get eaten by the isopods. If 10-15 show up at the same time, I may consider action though.
If it's the same spot, some of the mushroom might still be left, or it could have released it's spores early. Maybe try taking a spoon and taking out the sub in that small area?

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
If you want to control or rid the enclosure of them add some tropical springtails, they absolutely love mushrooms/fungi. My daughters 20L tank for her Eastern five lined skink with 8" of substrate came down with a serious case of mushrooms form the soil she chose. The springtails cleared them out within a month and have been going strong since.
I have isopods in all my tropical terrariums and they get rid of the mushrooms once they go goey. I actually see the shrooms as another food source for them.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
If it's the same spot, some of the mushroom might still be left, or it could have released it's spores early. Maybe try taking a spoon and taking out the sub in that small area?
What we see as mushrooms is only the visible part that comes out for reproduction anyway. The real body, the mycelium is buried in the substrate and might be covering the entire terrarium.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Doubt its a big deal. But do let us know if you start getting any of these. For, er...tarantula research purposes...yeah

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hobo had some mushroom growth in his setup, he left it and reported no issues w/the T.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You can put some of those in the rice. Not good like this v but oh well, u_u

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Doubt its a big deal. But do let us know if you start getting any of these. For, er...tarantula research purposes...yeah

These bring back fun memories ;). I´m too old now, but when I was younger I used to hunt for them in the fields where the cattle goes or the church yards. They seem to thrive a lot here up North!

Ran

Arachnoknight
I occasionally would get shrooms with my Theraphosa's because of the warm humid conditions....I would remove them and now have none.