Mushrooms in Millipede Enclosure

mossloft

Arachnosquire
I've been having an issue with mushrooms in my enclosure. And with the mushrooms I believe has come more fungus gnats than I've had issues with in the past. I'm willing to replace all the substrate if need be, but my concern lies with the log I have in the enclosure. Will baking it kill off any spores?
And also, I seem to have some springtails that moved in without me having added them (I had added springtails before but these are larger and grey) and I'd like to keep them around if I do replace the substrate....but obviously if I add old substrate, it'll reintroduce spores...any way I can salvage the colony since I don't have my own?

Attachments

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
why are you concerned with mushrooms?

if your primary concern is the fungus-gnats i would simply make it gnat proof, it wont kill the gnats already inside but it will keep them from free-ranging in your home and flying in your face or coffee.

mossloft

Arachnosquire
why are you concerned with mushrooms?

if your primary concern is the fungus-gnats i would simply make it gnat proof, it wont kill the gnats already inside but it will keep them from free-ranging in your home and flying in your face or coffee.
I don't want them to spread and overgrow the millipede enclosure. And I could make it gnat proof but...I have to open the enclosure at some point, and it seems they've gotten much worse in a short period of time. If they get really bad I don't want to have an explosion of gnats when I open it.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
very true, personally i dont think it would take over the enclosure, but anyway good luck with your quest

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Just pull the mushrooms out as they come up. Spores will always find their way in again no matter how many times you change the substrate, so it’s just a matter of pulling out the fruiting bodies as they appear and stopping extra spores and hyphae from spreading.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

i like reptiles

Arachnopeon
I don't want them to spread and overgrow the millipede enclosure. And I could make it gnat proof but...I have to open the enclosure at some point, and it seems they've gotten much worse in a short period of time. If they get really bad I don't want to have an explosion of gnats when I open it.
Lol add springtails, even if they did spread the millipedes would prolly enjoy feasting on them

paumotu

Arachnobaron
The best solution to a gnat problem is mosquito bits, everytime

mossloft

Arachnosquire
Just pull the mushrooms out as they come up. Spores will always find their way in again no matter how many times you change the substrate, so it’s just a matter of pulling out the fruiting bodies as they appear and stopping extra spores and hyphae from spreading.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
i think i kind of let it get hold too much sitting in my closet a year or so ago (i was saving it for when i needed to use it) and so...thats my bad . the mycellium seems to spread fast and all the shrooms are like.. buried in the soil. even if they will keep coming i feel like it would be beneficial to do a full substrate change atp...