Multiple hides?

ediblepain

Arachnosquire
Hi everyone. Good morning! I've been keeping g porteri for years and years. I've always provided 2 hides for each one. Each gets a cork tube, and something.. like a clay pot or coconut hut. It's been interesting to watch their preference change over the years. One AF rarely ever uses the cork hide. Another AF uses the cork often, but also uses the flower pot often. The male is all over the place, as male tend to be. He hangs on in the flower pot, on top of it, in the cork, on the cork, in a burrow under the cork. Anyone else like to provide multiple hides? Are there any reasons I shouldnt be providing multiple hides? I've had no issues with lost feeders.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Hi everyone. Good morning! I've been keeping g porteri for years and years. I've always provided 2 hides for each one. Each gets a cork tube, and something.. like a clay pot or coconut hut. It's been interesting to watch their preference change over the years. One AF rarely ever uses the cork hide. Another AF uses the cork often, but also uses the flower pot often. The male is all over the place, as male tend to be. He hangs on in the flower pot, on top of it, in the cork, on the cork, in a burrow under the cork. Anyone else like to provide multiple hides? Are there any reasons I shouldnt be providing multiple hides? I've had no issues with lost feeders.
Does your T act differently when it exits each hide? Perhaps threat posture when it exits the coconut hut, but docile when it exits the pot (Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hide)? :wacky:

My burrowing T's sometimes create multiple burrows, but they may all connect in the substrate (not sure). But I do provide multiple pieces of cork bark when space is available. I haven't tried different types of hides together to see how the T acts.

EDIT* After making this post I realized that I do have at least two hides on a couple of my tarantulas. My E. sp. red never uses one of them. She prefers the one that angles down into the substrate probably because it is darker and a longer hide (better privacy). I have a Davus Pentaloris with three hides (over-sized enclosure). There is one really long cork bark one and two shorter cork bark ones. She kind of moves between them but spends most of her time in the longer one.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I provide multiple hides to some species, and they use them all. I have one setup where two hides are stacked on top, sorta like a 1st floor and a 2nd floor. The female in there linked the two together, and has one giant T condo now! ;)

Nature has multiple places for a T to set up shop, keep on enjoying them.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Anyone else like to provide multiple hides? Are there any reasons I shouldnt be providing multiple hides? I've had no issues with lost feeders.
My smaller pulchra (about 2" now) has two hides. Originally, when I upgraded her to a larger cage, I also upgraded her hide, but she didn't seem to care for the new hide, so I put her old hide in there across from the new hide. Now she alternates between the two. The old hide is very light, and sometimes she upends it (but keeps using it as a "hide" even though it no longer has a roof).

I don't really see any downside except cost (if you are not doing DIY hides).

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I would think that multiple hides are good if they are different. Gives the T plenty of choices to find the perfect one to be comfortable in. But either way, I've found them to be pretty adaptable to whatever's available. They'll use what's there and make it their own.

MetallicArachnid

Arachnosquire
I like providing multiple hides if I have enough space to do so, gives the T a chance to feel secure wherever it is in the enclosure and I personally think it provides more opportunities to see them because they don't feel exposed as much as only providing a single hide that they never leave.