mpede enclosure qns

Abel

Arachnosquire
Currently my millipede tank is like this
1.5 inches of waterlogged potting soil
2-3 inches of coco fibre on top.
the soil is waterlogged as I watered the cage a bit too much

so...
can I leave it like this? cause the water will keep the fibre moist. But im sure there are cons to this

should I remove the soil?

Abel

Arachnosquire
if I made a serious mistake (which I hope I did not) please correct me

Abel

Arachnosquire
one more thing.
I am using cocofibre for plants as I have almost no acces to ecoearth etc. But this one has a hard time staying moist. any tips? its pretty coarse

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
one more thing.
I am using cocofibre for plants as I have almost no acces to ecoearth etc. But this one has a hard time staying moist. any tips? its pretty coarse
Ecoearth is a type (brand) of ground cocofiber. There are 'chunky' types available, I assume that is what you are working with. It will eventually absorb water, given enough time.
It works as one element of a millipede substrate, but will need other components. If you are growing live plants, it is not the best substrate to use long-term. You could use potting soil in pits, and then sink them into the cocofiber.

Waterlogged soil can lead to anaerobic conditions, If it is not just damp, but truly soaked, I would probably remove it and start over. What species of millipede do you have? Most need dried leaves and wood as part of the substrate, I trust you we're planning on making those a part of the substrate as well.

Best of luck with your millipedes!

Abel

Arachnosquire
most of the water in the soil has alr been absorbed by the cocofibre so now its more damp. my pedes are scarlets and I do have rotting wood and leaves in the substrate. Srrty coudnt reply earlier as I was pretty busy. thks

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
most of the water in the soil has alr been absorbed by the cocofibre so now its more damp. my pedes are scarlets and I do have rotting wood and leaves in the substrate. Srrty coudnt reply earlier as I was pretty busy. thks
Sounds like you are off to a good start. IME, Scarlets are pretty undemanding and should do well for you.