Moving with a possible pre-molt T

CJW

Arachnopeon
Hi, I've been a lurker on the boards for a few months now but this is my first proper post. I got a B. hamorii about one month ago and he's (suspected from ventral) about 2.5" in DLS. I've attached a picture at the bottom.
I have just been offered a new job and will need to relocate in a few days time about 200 miles from where I am living at the moment and obviously I will need to take the T with me. My first thought was to try to package him up as if I was going to send him through the post. However, today I tried to offer a cricket and he was clearly not interested which leads me to think he might be going into pre-molt soon and I am concerned that if I were to package him up like this, there's a chance he'll molt in transit. He's fairly skittish and runs into his burrow whenever the enclosure is moved, so I'm thinking now that it might be a better idea to leave him in his enclosure during the drive since it'll be whole lot easier, it'll allow him to molt if need be; and he wont be too much at risk of getting hurt if he stays in his burrow.
Any thoughts?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
You travel then have someone ship it to you after it has hardened.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Is the picture recent?
When are you moving?
It's all dependant on how far in to pre - molt the spider is...if that's a pic from today, then I would say if your travelling tomorrow then you'd be fine to package him/her up for the move, but if the move is weeks away then....you'll have to be more specific regarding the date your leaving etc.

CJW

Arachnopeon
Is the picture recent?
When are you moving?
It's all dependant on how far in to pre - molt the spider is...if that's a pic from today, then I would say if your travelling tomorrow then you'd be fine to package him/her up for the move, but if the move is weeks away then....you'll have to be more specific regarding the date your leaving etc.
The picture was taken today and i'm moving in 4 days. What do you think about leaving it in the enclosure though?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
You will be fine. Stick it in a smaller enclosure. Lots of sub nothing else. Then place that in a box of packing peanuts. Cover to keep dark. It should minimalise stress.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
The picture was taken today and i'm moving in 4 days. What do you think about leaving it in the enclosure though?
No don't leave it in the enclosure, I assume you're driving, so their will be lots of humps, bumps, etc. Therefor I would package it up like you were sending it, find a suitable sized container, use kitchen roll to line the container then pack the outer edges with some more, a piece on top, place the top on so the T can't be bumped around, and you're good to go, it will be fine as it doesn't look too far in to its pre-molt, good luck with the move and the new job. The spider will be fine as long as it is protected the way I've suggested......

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Premolt takes months for Brachypelma, especially one that size. I wouldn't worry in the least. You'll know premolt is coming very fast when the bald spot turns dark, then black. I'd worry then.

CJW

Arachnopeon
I'm leaving tomorrow evening, It's abdomen has now turned completely black and I have no choice but to take the tarantula with me, nobody else will have anything to do with it. Do you still suggest I pack it up tight? Maybe I should put it in a slightly larger container (smaller than its enclosure) and line the walls with kitchen roll and put a bit of sub in?

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I'm leaving tomorrow evening, It's abdomen has now turned completely black and I have no choice but to take the tarantula with me, nobody else will have anything to do with it. Do you still suggest I pack it up tight? Maybe I should put it in a slightly larger container (smaller than its enclosure) and line the walls with kitchen roll and put a bit of sub in?
That sounds like a tricky situation either way. It's so frustrating that people have such a fear of spiders that they are unwilling to hang on to it for you. After some general research (how long it takes to drive 200 miles, average speed limit in the UK), I was wondering if there's any way you'd be able to make 1 - 3 quick stops along the way just to check if your T has popped its carapace during the drive (and wait out the actual molt if need be)? A T of that size shouldn't be able to finish a molt or start to harden in the time between stops, so if you were able to do that, you'd at least be able to avoid a bad molt. I don't know how to handle how fragile it would be during and after a molt though. Maybe someone else can chime in with some better ideas or suggestions. I think I would still pack it at least relatively tightly though.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I've already gone into detail the way you should pack the T, it's in this thread, hope you have a successful journey, good luck.....post #6