Moving Pterinochilus

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Today when I get my 10 gallon one divider tank I have to move my Pterinochilus lugardi and Pterinochilus murinus which should be an interesting move.

Anyone who has these two Pterinochilus species can you just tell me how you went about doing it? and if you may have recieved a bite in the process or maybe just a threat display.

One of my guys (the lugardi) has made a home in the substrate of the critter keeper he is in which is fine he'll be easy to move.

Of course my Murinus just has to make his leaving on the inside of the top of the critter keeper.

So how should I go about getting them out??

titus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've had good luck using the top portion of a 1L bottle with the bottom cut away. I've had a few threats from my Murnus but have luckly not been bit yet.

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I could be cheeky and say, Very carefully. :)

Cut the top four or five inches off of two 2-liter plastic soda bottles, making the edges as even as possible. These are your cups. Get two pieces of stiff card, old birthday or Christmas cards word wonders, anything to use underneath the cups that totally covers the bottom edges of it. Cup the spiders and slide the card underneath so they are contained. I would move the lugardi first and then the murinus. Fix up your new enclosure and when you're ready, put each cup and card into the middle of each T's new home. With the cups flat against the substrate, slide the cards out from under the cup, one at a time. 9 times out of 10, the T is going to be scrunched up in the bottlecap area. If this is the case, simply lay the cup over on it's side, you can come back and get it later after the T has crawled out to explore it's new surroundings. If the T is down on the substrate, simply remove the cup and put your lid on.

Have fun!

chris 71

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
you can also melt a hole in the bottle cap before you add the spider of coarse and gently prod it out of the bottle they do like to crunch up in there

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They fuss a bit, but the cup and card method has never failed me.

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I don't have a Murinus, but I just moved my H. Maculata 2 weeks ago.
I used a tall size Starbucks paper cup with a snap on lid. First I
had to carefully remove the corkbark by disconnecting all the webs
from it and gently lifting it out. I moved all the webs with tongs thru
the top of the KK. Then I popped the top long enough to lift out the cork
bark and the replaced it. I rinsed out and dried the paper cup and
put it in the enclosure with the lid off. I slipped it into the enclosure
thru the top hatch and closed the hatch, putting the KK back on the shelf.
Finally 2 days later (it usually takes less) the spider had placed itself in
the cup facing inward. I took the top off of the KK and put the lid onto the
cup. It's what I call the patience method. With most T's, even my quick
and wily Panama Blonde, I can herd them into a cup without waiting,
but I am more cautious with Baboons because of their venom.
I have a screened in porch where I do my rehousing and cleaning, I
imagine a bathroom can also be used for tricky transfers.{D :cool: ;)

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't have a Murinus, but I just moved my H. Maculata 2 weeks ago.
I used a tall size Starbucks paper cup with a snap on lid. First I
had to carefully remove the corkbark by disconnecting all the webs
from it and gently lifting it out. I moved all the webs with tongs thru
the top of the KK. Then I popped the top long enough to lift out the cork
bark and the replaced it. I rinsed out and dried the paper cup and
put it in the enclosure with the lid off. I slipped it into the enclosure
thru the top hatch and closed the hatch, putting the KK back on the shelf.
Finally 2 days later (it usually takes less) the spider had placed itself in
the cup facing inward. I took the top off of the KK and put the lid onto the
cup. It's what I call the patience method. With most T's, even my quick
and wily Panama Blonde, I can herd them into a cup without waiting,
but I am more cautious with Baboons because of their venom.
I have a screened in porch where I do my rehousing and cleaning, I
imagine a bathroom can also be used for tricky transfers.{D :cool: ;)

(on a side note that clown is very scary and i am 25 yrs old lol) ok so yall i did it...and it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be every one was cool no one tried to get out or anything..sometimes i make things harder than they really are when it comes to my T's lol...

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well after I transfered them to their new enclosures I threw in a toilet paper holder for the smaller one and a paper towel holder for the bigger one....

Well the smaller one dug a burrow. The bigger one used the paper towel holder after i put it in there and I haven't see him since lol...I looked inside and the only thing i can see is when he cleans his body. I can't even tell the direction he is facing its so dark in there...tried to take a picture but only thing to show up on my camera is a bright flash. lol oh well..as long as they feel secure it doesn't matter to me..and the more he stays in there the easier it will be to water his dish...

2shelbys

Arachnopeon
A properly-sized tupperware bowl and piece of cardboard has always worked well for me for any of the species I have had. When moving them to a considerably larger enclosure I just put their whole current enclosure inside the new one and let them venture out when they please to greatly reduce the stress on them. You can remove the smaller enclosure as soon as they pick out their new hide or burrow.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
(on a side note that clown is very scary and i am 25 yrs old lol) ok so yall i did it...and it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be every one was cool no one tried to get out or anything..sometimes i make things harder than they really are when it comes to my T's lol...
lol i think the clown looks like all politicians lol and acts like them to i better shut up now just in case i get a knock on the door one night :eek: :eek: :eek: lol ---- phil