Moving my P. formosa!

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My P. formosa molted last week, (i will post pic as soon as I figure out how), I think it is time to move her to bigger living quarters. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to do this move. She is now about 4"+ and is currently in a 1 gallon storage jar/container.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
If it were me, I'd just coax it onto my hand and then into the new container.. but I'm probably crazy.

If I were sane, I'd say:

I assume you're putting it into it's adult size terrarium. Which, if it were me, would be a 5 gallon aquarium turned on it's side, with 3/4s fixed plexiglass lid, and 1/4 hinged lockable lid. I'd just open the old terrarium, and put it inside the new, and when I saw the spider had moved, remove the old one.

However, paintbrush and hand and mental instability are much easier, if you have them.

Bill

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow that's a tough one since its in a one gallon container. Normally with all our pokes we put the cages side by side and then use a yard stick to coax them into the new cage. Works pretty good for us except the last one we changed was our rufiliata and she decided to jump on the outside of her new cage and hang out for a photo shoot before going in. Coaxing works best for me and have some extra empties on stand-by just incase it makes a run for it. Good luck:D

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
A lesson learned from Art Cerda.. always have a spare 'catch container' on hand when moving, handling, feeding, etc.. I have a 6" diameter deli cup that I keep handy for escapees when dealing with the nasties.. and it's definately come in handy before..

Bill

alidpayne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use a deli cup too, but not just for escapees. I place a deli cup over the T, then slide cardbord (or the lid of the deli container) under it. Then I put the deli container in the new tank and slide the lid/cardboard out from under the container. Then i lift the container out and close up shop.

This also works really well when I am doing mundane things like cleaning water dishes and removing cricket corpses. I just put the deli cup on top of the T, slide the lid under, slowly turn the container rightside up (the t will walk as you turn so as to stay upright) then I snap the lid shut. Then you can set it aside and do your cleaning chores with the t safely contained. Then just release as described above.

Ali

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Get a plastic food bag (like a freezer bag) and place it right in front of the T.
Nudge the T's back leg/abdomen with a paintbrush and it should run forwards into the bag. When it hits the bottom of the bag it will usually stop.

Place bag in new tank and nudge the spider out/let it come out of it's own accord.

That's how I move my Baboons.

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for the input everyone. When she starts coming back out from her hide, I will move her using some of your suggestions. She is just sooo fast, this will be interesting.:confused: