Moving a tarantula with blocked hide

NeutralFace

Arachnopeon
Ok, so I got a 1" G. Pulchripes not too long ago. And since then it had hidden in its hide and blocked it with the substrate. We're planning on moving next August, probably the 7th. What should I do? I cannot change the moving date since school starts around that time.

Finikan

Painter of Poorly Rendered Images
Arachnosupporter +
Take the tarantula with you to the new place, for sure. ;)

I'm not sure i understand the question?

Tarantulas are shipped across country, then put in trucks to be delivered. Why wouldnt they be able to be put in a car and moved to a new place?

NeutralFace

Arachnopeon
Take the tarantula with you to the new place, for sure. ;)

I'm not sure i understand the question?

Tarantulas are shipped across country, then put in trucks to be delivered. Why wouldnt they be able to be put in a car and moved to a new place?
Well, the t had blocked its hide isn't it dangerous to travel with it? I'm not sure how bumpy it could get.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
The enclosure and distance you’re moving makes all the difference in this situation. Your options are to move the spider into something else or not.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
A little bit of jostling is tolerable, but obviously you'll want to be as careful as possible. Also, August 7th is still 17 days away - there's a good chance your T will have emerged by then. No need to borrow worry, just deal with it if needed when the time comes.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
It will be fine to go on a 5 hour trip!

just pack around the enclosure well so it doesn’t rattle around.

goonius

Arachnoknight
Personally, if I anticipated a bumpy ride for 5 hours I’d be inclined to pack the spider as if for shipping. I don’t know what your roads are like in Philippines, so only you can assess how risky this journey will be in that regard. Where I live, I have transported spiders in their enclosures with no issue, 3-4 hours on the US interstate. The roads are pretty smooth and there was very little risk to the tarantulas and they all made the journey just fine. If I were traveling in a rural or unpaved area I might have acted differently.

Hopefully your G pulchripes emerges before your move date. If you get closer to the date and it hasn’t emerged, maybe repost and get advice. If there are specific details about your journey (dirt roads, etc) that seem relevant to making your decision, be sure to include these so people will better know what risks you are facing.

NeutralFace

Arachnopeon
Personally, if I anticipated a bumpy ride for 5 hours I’d be inclined to pack the spider as if for shipping. I don’t know what your roads are like in Philippines, so only you can assess how risky this journey will be in that regard. Where I live, I have transported spiders in their enclosures with no issue, 3-4 hours on the US interstate. The roads are pretty smooth and there was very little risk to the tarantulas and they all made the journey just fine. If I were traveling in a rural or unpaved area I might have acted differently.

Hopefully your G pulchripes emerges before your move date. If you get closer to the date and it hasn’t emerged, maybe repost and get advice. If there are specific details about your journey (dirt roads, etc) that seem relevant to making your decision, be sure to include these so people will better know what risks you are facing.
I think the roads from here to there are paved but might be bumpy on some occasions. I'll update if it emerges hopefully.

cold blood

Staff member
Re house it into a small, simple enclosure that doesnt allow for significant burrowing....if it hides, it will eat less often, hide more and grow 4-5 times slower as a result....ive experimented with several hundred mostly pulchripes fwiw.

NeutralFace

Arachnopeon
Update: it has emerged, it made another exit to its hide and blocked the actual entrance. It also seemed to have darken, idk if it's bc its in premolt or just a sign of growth but it has finally eaten. I just hope it stays like that until we moved.

Mantis345

Arachnopeon
You can take your T with you by packing it as if it were a cargo package. If you take it directly with the terrariumin, there may be risks such as possible falls and injuries.

NeutralFace

Arachnopeon
I would prefer the first one but they easily retreat when disturbed. Here they are now, is the darkness of their body a sign of pre molt? It used to be brown. If so, will that affect are plans on moving?

Attachments

Marlana

Arachnoknight
Doesn’t look like premolt but maybe it already molted while hidden and that’s why it’s showing more color. You also mentioned it ate which they usually don’t do in premolt.

NeutralFace

Arachnopeon
I see, I was unsure since I didn't see their old molt and I thought it was still too small to show colors. Thanks you!