Moving a giant

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Arg , gotta figure out a way to move my t blondi to a new bigger terreria with better , moister substrate.

any ideas lol.

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
very carefully.....
you can try a few different metheds,
putting it in the fridge for a few minutes to slow it down
or in the bathtub and coax it with a pencil on the butt..

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yea thats kind of the problem the container its in now is heavy . then err i dun want blondi hairs in my eyes .......

I keep looking for a container perfect for the moving job , but no good

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

if you have a kritter keeper you could try using that, coax it in there with something and use it to transport it to its new home, or a large tall sterlite box may work?--Jeff

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wear some kind of goggles while you get her out so you don't get hairs in your eyes.....that's what I'd do.

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by pategirl
Wear some kind of goggles while you get her out so you don't get hairs in your eyes.....that's what I'd do.

waaaaaaaay ahead of ya lol

dilleo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
don't be scared first of all, second you might find it really easy and everything to go your way. live and learn. try something simple.

-Jeremy

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well. good luck Bob the thief.. :) you're braver than me.. I'm scare moving my little T. Blondi (2.5") oh well.. :)

Lantang

Arachnopeon
Get someone to hold a vacuum hose, while you coax her into some kinda transport containor, so when she is kicking, the hairs get sucked up in the vacuum, just becareful you dont suck her up.

Midwest Art

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Giant Moving

Vaccum? Ouch, that might stir up the hairs even more. Bathtub?tried that "once" I proded the T. blondi out of her burrow, she proceeded to kick out a 3 foot mushroom cloud of hairs. Now my tub and bathroom were full of hairs, including all towels which I had to wash. Had to use an Air Filter to clean out the hairs.

Preferred method, if you are in warmer climates, or during the summer, make housing changes outdoors. I slowly open the container, if the animal flicks, I close it slowly. When the container is open I use a tall deli cup and place it quickly, but carefully over the T. blondi. All hairs are contained within the deli cup. I then slide the deli cup top under the blondi and transport accordingly. I've done this hundreds of times and have found this to be the best method.

N-Joy
Art

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Art,

What wonderful images that brings to mind, a man out on lake shore drive in the lawn looking like he's trying to cage a squirrel at a glance. Wonder how many accidents you'd cause :)

Bill

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Are T. blondie hairs really worse than other t's hairs? Why?

Bd

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bob the thief
Eh...

lol
Hi Bob, I do trust that you knew T.blondi had some of the worst urticatious setae of all T's and you knew how big they got and you knew you would have to move it someday and you knew they aren't pussies, you knew all these things before you bought it right?

Trusting you knew these things I'd say grin and bear it.

If you didn't know these things I'd say well more fool you, grin and bear it.

I know you're only looking for advice, but these T's are really only for keepers with a lot of experience and if you need to know how to move one, well....... I mean someone might be looking for advice on how to get thier rosie moved, that I can understand, it's all to do with ones own progression within the hobby, but by the time someone is keeping blondi they should be totally aware of all these issues, including how to move an adult.

You've been given some good answers in these previous posts, I hope you have success.

Either way Bob, good luck.......

I'll apologise now if I'm sounding a bit harsh, but hey......

Steve

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Myself i know tons of ways of doing , it just isent very pleasant and I was just looking for a better way of moving it.

Oh and by the way there where a few problems with moving it. I was going to find one of those big deli cups and do it but blondis can dash suddenly. So I best dident wana try that , might harm it.

My idea now is critter keeper dident want try that either becuase on large enough for her would mean she would also be able to run up its sides and out of the terreria she is in now.

Critter keep would have to be my only option then.

Last edited:

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Myself i know tons of ways of doing , it just isent very pleasant and I was just looking for a better way of moving it.

I understand Bob, it doesn't hurt to seek additional advice from time to time. I thought you may have jumped the gun on purchasing a blondi, so I apologise if I sounded a bit harsh.

Steve

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh dear lord no , I work at a zoo I knew exactly how much of a pain blondis where going to be at times. My first day on the job I got a wonderful batch of hairs on my hand. I rushed and rinsed it with a strong stream of water . It really did nothing so I did what my boss there told me . To just basically soak my hand in alcohol.
To tell you the truth after 10 min of soaking it nulled the burning feeling the only pain I had was it felt pickly when I moved my hand . The next day it started to itch 3 days after that it was gone.

The first day I got her I made sure that dident happen again.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh dear lord no , I work at a zoo I knew exactly how much of a pain blondis where going to be at times.
Lucky man Bob!!!! How many theraphosids do you keep at the zoo and which one is it you work at???

Thanks,
Steve

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've never had to do this outside, but after dealing with some really huge blondis lately, I've definitely had to deal with the hairs and what happens when they get kicked up.

Art's suggestion is good and simple - just cup it with what you have. If you don't have a deli cup, try using a plastic tupperware container or a larger shoe or sweater box (the slightly opaque kind you can get at Target, etc). The key here is getting the spider covered before it kicks the hairs. I just took some pics of a T. apophysis (supposedly even worse hairs) with a full abdomen of hair - not even a bald spot... I used dishwashing gloves and was very careful, yet still I have some mild itching already.

Benadryl cream is the best after-the-fact solution to hands... The gel doesn't do much for me.

Good luck!

bill

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Her is how I did it a while back........it is bigger now!

Last edited: