Mountain Katydid (Acripeza reticulata) breeding project

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Hey everyone, thought I'd devote this thread to my captive breeding project involving the endemic Australian katydid species Acripeza reticulata. They are commonly known as the Mountain Katydid, as many populations reside at high altitudes, although mine came from a lower elevation bushland reserve just outside Brisbane city in South East Queensland.

These katydids exhibit a very substantial degree of sexual dimorphism. Below are photos of some wild adult females both in situ and on my hand to give a sense of scale.
DSCN6346.jpeg
DSCN6349.jpeg
DSCN6819.jpeg

The males of this species look markedly different, possessing smaller bodies and large, functional wings that allow them to fly in short bursts, unlike the completely flightless females. Males are also capable of calling, while the females are mute.
DSCN6394.jpeg
DSCN6392.jpeg

Here is a photo of a late-stage nymph, likely just one molt away from adulthood. Currently, it is the only nymph of this species I have ever found in the wild; all the rest were adults.
DSCN7214.jpeg

Acripeza reticulata is one of Australia's most iconic insect species, largely due to its absolutely spectacular threat display. The revelation of the vivid colours beneath the animals' wings can be startling to predators, and may buy the katydid time to escape while its attacker is momentarily shocked.
DSCN6601.jpeg

Now, onto the breeding part! Knowing most wild adult females would have likely already mated, I didn't bother going through the trouble of trying to locate a male, which are encountered far less often. Instead, I caught myself a couple of adult females, and once settled in, they wasted no time laying their eggs! Several of the eggs can be seen in this image, attached to the mesh lid of the enclosure. Most of the eggs were laid on the stems of the vines I had been feeding them. The green katydid is a Torbia viridissima, a species of which I have two recently hatched nymphs and a handful of eggs.
DSCN7395.jpeg
While most populations of this species feed almost exclusively on Senecio plants, the ones around my area feed on a leafy vine called Parsonsia straminea, which can be seen in the background in some of the attached photos. The ones around my area also seem to be arboreal, unlike most other populations, which are predominantly terrestrial. These differences in diet and behaviour could be due to reproductive isolation (this population is surrounded by urban areas on all sides and completely detached from adjacent populations with more "normal" habits) and/or exposure to different selection pressures, as the conditions are rather different at these low elevations.
Having been told that katydid eggs can take over a year to hatch, I didn't have the highest hope. However, I decided to do what some Phasmid breeders do to accelerate development, and keep the eggs warm and moist, by taking them out in the sun every morning, and misting the incubating enclosure regularly. Only a couple months or so after I saw the first eggs being laid, I found a newly hatched nymph in the incubation enclosure. The nymph was pink at first, but after a couple hours its exoskeleton had hardened and it turned black.
DSCN7683.jpeg
DSCN7698.jpeg

It has been feeding well on soft, fresh leaves from the same vine species that the adults eat. And this morning, I woke up to find a second nymph had hatched! Many more of the eggs are starting to look bloated (when freshly laid, they're quite flat), so I'm sure there'll be plenty more soon!

Well, that's it for this post, and I'll be keeping you all updated on how this project goes. If you're interested, and haven't seen it yet, here is a YouTube video of mine showing a wild adult female:
And another video showing one of the captive females alongside two other species, Ephippitytha trigintiduoguttata and Torbia viridissima, the former of which I also have many eggs from:

Last edited:

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Awesome, I was hoping you'd make a thread on this! This is great documentation.

Are you breeding Phricta spinosa too?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Awesome, I was hoping you'd make a thread on this! This is great documentation.

Are you breeding Phricta spinosa too?

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Cheers! Hopefully I'll have enough going on to be able to update this thread regularly.
As for Phricta spinosa, I recently got four, but they're all nymphs, so won't be breeding yet. Supposedly they're pretty easy to breed.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Here is the second nymph to hatch!
DB59B4C8-D72D-491B-928D-F19A244263C3_1_201_a.jpeg

And here is the first nymph. As you can probably tell, it's fed itself quite well, hence why it appears significantly bulkier than its sibling in spite of being at the same instar.
95565BDE-36C5-4252-A304-DC10932762AF_1_201_a.jpeg
B67C9BC3-1015-4EA8-9647-2305CD071098_1_201_a.jpeg

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Update: the latter half of this video shows me rehousing the nymphs into a larger setup. As you can see, there's a lot more of them.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah they're gorgeous. Never thought I'd like katydids so much, and honestly can't believe I'd overlooked them for so long. Such a fascinating group of insects!
I'm hoping to get into the US species in the next couple years since I have a bit more space. It's such an interesting group.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
An update on the nymphs! Here's some pics of nymphs at the 1st, 2nd and 3rd instars. So far have about twenty, with no mortalities.

1st instar:
CB0B448B-0EEF-4AA8-A817-85D9355CC920_1_201_a.jpeg 78928670-1100-4A32-A596-A7D801B3E929_1_201_a.jpeg

2nd instar:
AA40377D-E5AE-49A6-AAF5-9D7C17C0A68B_1_201_a.jpeg
663B846A-25CB-43AB-BD6C-A71AD1D2F466_1_201_a.jpeg

3rd instar:
2AD253DD-1C05-4B80-92FF-D01A00E27975_1_201_a.jpeg
8304E28D-7928-4401-9582-497007E1DEA0_1_201_a.jpeg
2A444E07-85BB-4F04-9AB1-CD7CF839FBD5_1_201_a.jpeg

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Recently, I had a couple of my Acripeza nymphs professionally photographed at my university. This isn't my photo, but seeing as they're my inverts I still thought I'd share. As you can see, the largest nymph now has wing buds.
Acripeza-nymphs-comp-JHT.jpg

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Usually I only want what I can have but it is nice to learn about a katydid I'll never keep in person.
If you have an interest in providing a little detail on this katydid to a tiny but so-inclined audience I just happen to be finishing up a text on katydids. I can always use extra interesting details on a captive species if you have any interest in sharing a photo or two. No worries if you don't.

Description example:
Acripeza reticulata captive-bred specimen maintained at ... University in Australia. interesting info about captive care or species, food plant used name.... (C)Copyright Staehilomyces.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Usually I only want what I can have but it is nice to learn about a katydid I'll never keep in person.
If you have an interest in providing a little detail on this katydid to a tiny but so-inclined audience I just happen to be finishing up a text on katydids. I can always use extra interesting details on a captive species if you have any interest in sharing a photo or two. No worries if you don't.

Description example:
Acripeza reticulata captive-bred specimen maintained at ... University in Australia. interesting info about captive care or species, food plant used name.... (C)Copyright Staehilomyces.
Yeah that sounds like a great idea! That being said, I'd like to clarify that the katydids are not being maintained at my university; I'm keeping them at home, I just brought a couple to uni to have them photographed.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah that sounds like a great idea! That being said, I'd like to clarify that the katydids are not being maintained at my university; I'm keeping them at home, I just brought a couple to uni to have them photographed.
I sent you a PM with my e-mail and another example. Does that university not have arthropod rearing facilities? Many do for experimentation in the bio building/s or a few even have insect zoos.