Moulting Question

Jacko65

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone,
Some advice or just reassurance required.
I purchased a G pulchripes on the 2nd May as a sling, about 1 1/2 inches long. It went into pre moult under a hollow log about 3weeks ago and webbed itself in and successfully moulted about a week ago.
Now its body has turned really dark again and has retired inside a little hide in the enclosure. So my question is do young T's moult so frequently? and will it be ok ? as it hasn't fed since the last moult.
Regards
Jacko.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
The body and especially the fangs need to harden after a molt before the T can eat. For a sling that size, it could take somewhere between 5-10 days. The fangs are totally black when it's ready to eat. It's more important to provide water than food immediately following a molt, so if you're doing that, you should be good.

Jacko65

Arachnopeon
Thanks for your prompt reply @nicodimus22 I understand about the fangs and body needing to harden but it has been 9 days give or take since moulting. The T had fully moulted and was active when I picked up the log to check if it was ok. Its fangs have been black for days. I only attempted to feed yesterday and removed food today. My question was more aimed at how frequently they moulted when young ? It is definitely in pre moult and hiding and webbing away , I was just concerned at how soon after the last moult it had started again and would it be strong enough to go through it all again so soon especially if not fed. Hope I haven't confused you.
Kind regards
Jacko.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Tiny (1/4 to 1/2 inch) slings can molt as often as every 3 weeks, but that is somewhat species dependent. As they get bigger, it slows down. At 1 1/2 inches I would guess it would molt roughly every 2-3 months depending on temps, feeding frequency, size of meals, etc. I don't think you're in any danger of it molting again before it can get plenty of grub.

Last edited:

Jacko65

Arachnopeon
Tiny (1/4 to 1/2 inch) slings can molt as often as every 3 weeks, but that is somewhat species dependent. As they get bigger, it slows down. At 1 1/2 inches I would guess it would molt roughly every 2-3 months depending on temps, feeding frequency, size of meals, etc. I don't think you're in any danger of it molting again before it can get plenty of grub.
Many thanks again for your reply, seems like I'm worrying for nothing. Checked on the T today and there's no problem, body is getting darker and it has begun to web up again. Just have to wait it out again with fingers crossed.
Many thanks for the info and advice.:)

sasker

Arachnoprince
Just wondering, did your tarantula eat anything at all? If you are worried that something else may be causing problems, you could send us a picture of your spider and/or the enclosure.

Jacko65

Arachnopeon
  • Thank you @sasker and @Grimmdreadly for your advice and obvious knowledge. The T is doing fine and I'm not worried anymore but will post a pic tomorrow evening as it's already early hours here. Once again many thanks.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
  • Thank you @sasker and @Grimmdreadly for your advice and obvious knowledge. The T is doing fine and I'm not worried anymore but will post a pic tomorrow evening as it's already early hours here. Once again many thanks.
No problem. Sometimes after a molt is web up as a way of settling in. I have a Cambridgi sling that just molted, hardened, and sealed it's den up again

Jacko65

Arachnopeon
Looks like my T is doing the same thing, might try a cricket tomorrow see how we go.
Thanks again.☺

sasker

Arachnoprince
She looks ok to me
To me as well :)

I think she looks like a typical, post-molt beauty. Maybe she just seemed to have darkened because she was much lighter right after the molting process. All-in-all, I think you have nothing to worry about. Enjoy watcher her first meal! :)

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
It's common for Ts to become reclusive for a little while following a molt. Don't think it's possible for a T to molt at all without some meals in between.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Hi everyone,
Some advice or just reassurance required.
I purchased a G pulchripes on the 2nd May as a sling, about 1 1/2 inches long. It went into pre moult under a hollow log about 3weeks ago and webbed itself in and successfully moulted about a week ago.
Now its body has turned really dark again and has retired inside a little hide in the enclosure. So my question is do young T's moult so frequently? and will it be ok ? as it hasn't fed since the last moult.
Regards
Jacko.

Many Ts can do two moults easily without there being any health issues....other times they might do it sooner because of a missing leg, fang.