Mould problem

Tcraze

Arachnopeon
what actually cause mould?...can it be the tree braches i pick up from the backyard?

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
undoubtedly, mould and fungus are airborne spores so they'll land on wood and wait for things to get damp.
Increase your ventilation, decrease your moisture and you should see improvements, its probably the humidity in Malaysia aiding the issue. You could consider tropical woodlice and springtails to help combat this as they'll be a great aid in the maintenance of your enclosures.

Waxen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mold needs moisture and heat to grow. Depending on your cage setup those two things can be in abundance. Usually wood from outside is put in the oven to dry it out and kill critters. I believe robc could direct you to a temperature and time as he gathers wood from outside for his cage setups.

Tcraze

Arachnopeon
thx for the info..i will add more ventilation and in the mean time i will try to pick up surface mould...btw...usually wat are the temperature to micorwave substrate or any wood from outside?..

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you wish to microwave substrate you need to do it properly, not just stick it in a bowl and turn the mic on :)

Pour your substrate in moist, if its not moist I suggest you add some water to it. I'd recommend coir blocks rather than going outside to collect it. In Malaysia you may well pick up some hitch hikers in your sub that create a little ecosystem but some of these might not be good additions to your enclosure. Killing them off in the mic will leave your substrate full of dead things - that's not going to cure your mould problems!
With your moist substrate in the bowl, cover with clinfilm and add some holes. 6-10 minutes with the occassional stirring will be fine, but take note it will be steaming hot so mind your skin and face!
Your substrate will be sterile until you open the clingfilm. You obviously need to let it cool completely before adding to your enclosure.
In the UK, where I live, I wouldnt do any of this but it might be prudent in more tropical climes.

Tcraze

Arachnopeon
im not sure whether the peatmoss is the culprit as i used to bought it from a different place..anyway i will do watever i can for the time being and see how thgs goes...re-housing will be my last resort...thx again for the info...^^

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I bake any wood i get from outside at 200-220 deg for 5-15 minutes. Check it every 5 minutes until done. If you need to bake soil/peat it takes around 30 minutes (you should still check it every 5 minutes to make sure its not burning.) Never leave the house while its cooking and always use a timer with an alarm to remind you. Do this at your own risk! Dont blame me if you burn your house down.:D

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I bake any wood i get from outside at 200-220 deg for 5-15 minutes. Check it every 5 minutes until done. If you need to bake soil/peat it takes around 30 minutes (you should still check it every 5 minutes to make sure its not burning.) Never leave the house while its cooking and always use a timer with an alarm to remind you. Do this at your own risk! Dont blame me if you burn your house down.:D
Oh Doug... I did the bake the coco coir a few months ago at 220... It worked absolutely amazing... Until............. I went to make a pizza the next day at 425! Hahh! My pizza smelled like a california forest fire!

Note to self... clean any spillage in the oven!

Joe

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Oh Doug... I did the bake the coco coir a few months ago at 220... It worked absolutely amazing... Until............. I went to make a pizza the next day at 425! Hahh! My pizza smelled like a california forest fire!

Note to self... clean any spillage in the oven!

Joe
LOL! :clap: MMmmm Pepperoni coir..