Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Mould Issue

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by ShyTeddyBear98, Aug 6, 2019.

  1. Advertisement
    I have recently come into issue with mould that has been the bane of my existence as a keeper since I've joined the hobby two years ago. It seems regardless of how well ventilated the enclosure appears to be, these small white dots will just suddenly appear and rapidly grow throughout the enclosure. The worst recipient of this is my pelinobius muticus, who will have to be rehoused a third time in just over a year as a result of this mould; you can imagine my enthusiasm to carefully remove her under 11" of substrate and destroying all of her eloborate burrows :meh:. I can only conclude that the cause can only be a fundamental issue with the type or brand of substrate that I use (peat moss mixed with coco fibre) or that I'm overtly pouring water on the substrate; which I usually do every couple of weeks. Springtails, which I introduce to all enclosures also seem to have no impact on the issue. I'm considering making test tubs to find the real culprit by putting two tubs of peat/coco fibre and having no ventilation in the one tub and soaking the other. I'm also wondering if adding various species of worms into the enclosure will have any impact on the mould, as I've read somewhere that they aerate the substrate. Anyway, it seems topsoil will be used in the next enclosure. I also appreciate any advice from those who have had issues with this type of mould.

    Attached Files:

  2. I have ONE tub that has a persistent problem like that. The little white dots. It doesn’t seem to bother the isopods tho and one person said they could be the start of mushrooms? Idk how true that is but i hope to find out too. I just mix the substrate where it is and hope the air flow keeps it from growing more.
  3. Mirandarachnid

    Mirandarachnid Arachnobaron

    Mold usually really isn't an issue for the spiders.

    Try extending vent holes all the way to the bottom of the enclosure. Your shelf will get dirty, but that's okay. That's what I do with all fossorials and don't have issues with mold.

    The amount of ventilation you have in that enclosure is below my minimum amount of vent in most enclosures. Way below minimum for a fossorial with damp sub. But that's me.

    It could be from the leaf litter, or it could just be from your environment.

    Some light reading for you
    • Like Like x 1
  4. It's so frustrating because it's the only type of mould I get. I don't think they are mushrooms as the last time I had this problem I managed to find out what the actual name was (I have since forgotten). I even let it continue to grow after I rehoused one of my other inverts (Atypus species) and it just continued even without any water being added; I wish I removed the lid to definitively rule out ventilation.
  5. For me idk why it happened. It happened randomly like a month ago in an isopod colony I’ve had for a year now with zero issues. I haven’t added anything new to it that hasn’t gone into the other colonies. They all have the same wood and leaf litter with no issues so I don’t know how the mold or whatever got in there. I will try adding more ventilation or leaving the top off when its cool to it to see if that helps clear it up.
  6. Update.
    I think I know what the problem might be. As it seems every summer the same type of mould appears and I'm starting to wonder if it's the humidity levels. I should mention that I keep my inverts inside an insulated shed that needs to be open during the summer months, which can cause the humidity to raise to around 65-70%, as opposed to 30% in the winter. I've also setup 5 test enclosures consisting of damp and dry substrate to determine whether the cause is poor conditioning or whether it's just something dormant in the substrate that I use; usually coco fibre/peat moss mix. I've also clipped on a mesh lid for my p. muticus to try and decrease the rate of the mould spreading; which is very rapid. Either way of the outcome, I will get to the bottom of this issue.

    Attached Files:

  7. Vanisher

    Vanisher Arachnoking Old Timer

    Mould and funghus is inevitable in enclosures. The substrate and decor is natural and spores are everywhere in the air and substrate! I am if that belief that mold and funghus are totally harmless, even in great concentration!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mirandarachnid

    Mirandarachnid Arachnobaron

    Yeah, it really only bothers the keeper.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. cold blood

    cold blood Moderator Staff Member

    Youre completely overreacting to something that doesn't really matter

    OMG, you dont have to re house cause of this....what a disaster your baboon must be enduring....such species hate re houses.

    Just pick out the mold and move on....its completely harmless. In 20 yrs ive seen all kinds of mold. Not once in all that time have I ever rehoused anything because of it.

    Well you can't introduce them to all enclosures. They breathe through a system of gills, meaning they can only survive and do their job in enclosures kept consistently damp. Anything not damp that has springtails is just a springtail concentration camp waiting for them to die.
    it shouldn't be frustrating at all, just pick it out and move on with life.
  10. I'm not disputing the danger of the mould, as I've read most aren't dependent on a live host and won't cause harm. What I am concerned about is the rate of growth as it will undoubtedly be back as soon I've despatched of the previous mould. Optimistically, I hope the gradual reduction of humidity in my shed will result in the disappearance in the mould... But that's not guaranteed. I will however remove any excess mould in future reference, as I'm personally up to my last nerve rehousing due to this mould, why couldn't my avics get mould instead? Or even my t stirmi, it has to be the T with 11" of substrate...
  11. Well, that depends how you define an issue. I have already read that post, so I'm well aware that mould isn't some sort of lethal infection that will ravage all of my inverts... In fact, I never said it was. My primary concern is the rate of growth and to have someone definitively tell me their personal experiences with this type of seemingly relentless mould. I have since added mesh to my muticus' enclosure in attempt to decrease the rate of the mould, so I can only see for myself if that makes the difference. However, I'll be sure to inform you on the progress... So I guess, you're welcome too.
  12. I don't care much about your results, and screens can be harmful.
    less water in ground + more vents = less mold. simply you've make the substrate perfectly hospitable for lots of mold to flourish.
    my personal experience:
    I too am bothered by the ruined aesthetic and will spot clean.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Ok so someone told me that kind of mold just shows up when there’s lots of available nutrients in the dirt like flowerpot fungus. It’s harmless.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Gnarled Gnome

    Gnarled Gnome Arachnoknight

    Like others have said it's nothing to worry about. In fact I'd suggest picking out just the surface level fruiting body where the spores are, and let the hyphae grow. Over time, the nutrients the mold is looking for will decrease to the point that it'll die off. It sounds like the mold bothers you, but it's not a danger to the T, who probably doesn't even know it's there. Another option that doesn't involve messing with the substrate directly or bothering the T is ventilation. Like Mirandarachnid said, some more holes can help.
    (Over-reaction solution incoming!) You can also get a small USB powered fan, like this: https://www.amazon.com/Coolerguys-D...argid=aud-829758849484:pla-564304096461&psc=1
    ... and mount it to increase airflow. Use an area with small holes drilled in the enclosure. Use silicone to mount the fan to the outside of the enclosure. Use screen material if needed, to block the T from sticking a foot in the fan. The idea is just to get enough fresh air in there to inhibit the mold. Again I'm only suggesting this because you seem so worried about it, and it is a bit much, but it will work. Mold needs somewhat still air.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Yes, it does bother me. I have mild OCD, so anything that wasn't there, shouldn't be there. Hell, I'll even go into a fit of rage when my pedes throw their leaf litter all over the place; especially in their dishes. But I guess I'll have to just hold my tongue and wait for a familiar outcome. As long as it's to the betterment of everyone in the long run.
  16. Gnarled Gnome

    Gnarled Gnome Arachnoknight

    Haha dont be too harsh on the poor pedes! Can I respectfully suggest another solution? Buspirone is an anxiolytic that can help with OCD symptoms. Your inverts will thank you! :nurse::hilarious:
    Seriously though I'm not making fun. But if your pets' natural behavior, or natural growths in your T's substrate cause you so much distress, either this "hobby" isn't for you, or you should look into ways of coping more efficiently. For the critters and you! I honestly hope this helps and you dont take offense at the suggestion.
  17. None taken. I can be very intense and my arrogance makes criticism sometimes personal; depending on how others choose their words. As long as my critters will be okay, then so will I. As for abandoning the hobby, that isn't an option. Maybe that's why I'm overtly cautious? As I don't particularly care for much else.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.