Motovating 1st graders

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
My mom volunteers her spare time as a teachers aid at an elementary school. This year, the teacher she works with was given one of the dumbest classes she's ever had (1st graders). They can't read, write, or do any mathematics. These kids even write their numbers reversed (Kind of an E instead of 3 kind of thing).

My mom asked me the other day about motovating these kids. I told her that I had an idea. If they could all (and I mean all of them) get Bs or higher on all their papers for a week, then each week I'd bring in my tarantulas (one or two at a time) to show them. To my amazement, it seems to be working! These kids have already improved to C students :)

So in the end, I get to help students have a reason to improve, and teach them that spiders aren't scary :) I think I've done my good deed this year, now ;)

-Bryan

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Stupidity vs Ignorance

That is awesome. You'll be educating them in more ways than one. My hat's off to you. Beware confusing ignorance with stupidity though. The reversal of numbers and such is a natural thing while they are learning. As we get older, we forget that we had to learn the things we now take for granted. First graders are notorious for writing things backwards. I volunteered a day a month last year in a local school's kindergarten class. I started the year testing them on their alphabet and ended testing them on their "sight words". Their little minds are like sponges... feed them the positive stuff about inverts.

Botar

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's very cool. I'm hoping that once my ts are a little bigger and well-established, I can take them to classrooms and science fairs again. I always had a lot of fun introducing the kids to my pets and it's great to see fear turn to curiosity and understanding.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
good for you
Last year, Shelby was in 1st grade, and her teacher was a spider nut! We took in a different tarantula every few weeks. They also raised hissers, walking sticks and mealworms last year. We had a great time.
This year, Shelby's teacher isn't too hot on inverts, but I will still be bringing them in for the 'reptile' studies in the spring. (close enough!)
It's been great to see the changes in the kids.
Last year, each time a child had a birthday, the entire class would each draw a picture, then put it in a birthday book for that child. When Shelby got her book, almost every one of the kids had drawn her a spider picture for hers!

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
i brought my tarantulas to kerith's class this past wednesday(she's in first grade now). the kids loved it, and i'm letting them care for my a. geniculata until friday.

well eternal, you can sleep better knowing that if christianity is right and there is a god, your good deed will save you a place by god's side in his kingdom.

or, if the buddists are right, in your next life, you will be reincarnated into a life that is fulfilling and joyous.

or, if muslims are right, after your honorable death, you will be fed grapes by hundreds of virgins with mohammed watching from afar.

or, if the agnostics are right, who knows what the heck will happen to you when you die.

or, if the atheists are right, you'll just die.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Estimated time until total thread breakdown due to religious pissing contest: 10..... 9..... 8..... 7.....

BTW: you rock, Eternal... that's one of the coolest things I've ever heard...

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mister Internet
Estimated time until total thread breakdown due to religious pissing contest: 10..... 9..... 8..... 7.....
Nah, I'd hope the average poster here is a little more mature than that. But if they're not, guess I'd better go chug some Gatorade so I'll be well armed ;P

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Valael
I'll take E. I'm atheist and proud to be!

Well regardless of your religious beliefs, I STRONGLY agree with the point on indoctrination of children. I don't agree with the indoctrination of children for or against religious beliefs. IMO you should develop their minds and then let them think for themselves.

Botar