Mother eating babies off of her back

ignithium

Arachnoknight
I have Tityus stigmurus gave birth perhaps a about 11-12 days ago, i notice today she is pulling a few of the baby off of her back and eating them, i dont have this happen before im always wait until the babies come off of the back before i separating them, what do you guys think? Should I take the baby off her back and separate them or just wait? I prefer if she dont eat them all because i dont have many of this species :D I put a few babies off her back but they keep run back and climb on again so i dont know what they will do if i put them in different container :D

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Scorplings will usually scavenge. If she is eating them perhaps they have stayed too long and that's what they are programmed to do. Put them in their own enclosure with prekilled and let them scav on it.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I have Tityus stigmurus gave birth perhaps a about 11-12 days ago, i notice today she is pulling a few of the baby off of her back and eating them, i dont have this happen before im always wait until the babies come off of the back before i separating them, what do you guys think? Should I take the baby off her back and separate them or just wait? I prefer if she dont eat them all because i dont have many of this species :D I put a few babies off her back but they keep run back and climb on again so i dont know what they will do if i put them in different container :D
If that is the case then separate them.

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
have they molted to 2i? If that's the case then they can be removed from her back and placed into their own enclosure. Like RoachCoach has said, they'll be able to scavenge at that age now (if you don't have anything tiny to feed them)

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
can you post pictures of them? If they've molted they'll look like tiny miniatures of the mother. If they haven't molted yet, removing them from her back will be more difficult, because without her they won't survive (if she's eating them they definitely won't survive!) But usually after 2 weeks they'll have already molted.

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
I've heard this before in T stigmurus.
I would separate them, let them have a pre-killed meal.
Those tiny ones do need a bit of humidity once they are in their own enclosure.

ignithium

Arachnoknight
ok i did separating them now all complete i have 14 that survive looks like she eat 5 of them since last night :D very funny to watching her reach up and grab one then putting it in her mouth :D like something from comedy film i never seen them doing this before all my other dont eat they childrens until they leave the back :D

PedipalpPix

Arachnopeon
ok i did separating them now all complete i have 14 that survive looks like she eat 5 of them since last night :D very funny to watching her reach up and grab one then putting it in her mouth :D like something from comedy film i never seen them doing this before all my other dont eat they childrens until they leave the back :D
If you've seen Austin Powers, she's just channeling a certain character.. "Baby, it's what's for dinner!" :rofl:

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
That's insane... did you get any of it on video or photos ?