Moth pupae?

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Arent hawkmoths supposed to have that long proboscis protruding even on the pupae?

Like this.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No, thats a moth pupae, just not sure what kind. Eh, keep it and take a pic of it when it hatches then we'll know for sure.

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yea im pretty good at reconising moths just not thier larve, how should i keep it.. its still just in a tub in my room? should i burry it in soil?

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Put it on a paper towel and make sure it has something to climb up to let its wings harden when it hatches. Dont keep it in direct sunlight or total darkness, and make sure you keep it in a warm room, not cold.

if you have a table or shelf that the cage wont accidently get knocked over on and it's not by a window, that should be fine.

Mat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Arent hawkmoths supposed to have that long proboscis protruding even on the pupae?
No :)

Only some genera of hawkmoths have this extended proboscis / jug handle look to the pupa. In the UK / Europe it's moths of the genus Agrius (Herse) that have this - the Convolvulus Hawk is a typical example. Do a Google Images search on 'hawk moth pupa' and you will get pics of a range of things, some of which have the handle and some of which dont.

The pupa in the pic is difficult to identify because is the lack of scale, but it looks a pretty 'big' thing overall. Privet Hawks (Spinx ligustri) pupa are about 2 - 2.5 inches long - they are big pupa. Keep it on some damp tissue or soil in a cage with somewhere where the moth can climb up to expand its wings. Spray it gently a couple of times a week and keep it out of direct sunlight. The moth should emerge in the next month or so in the UK.

Matt

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, have just put it on a paper towel in one of the crickets tubs stood on its end so that the moth has something to climb up onto. I also mesure it and its just under a inch so i dont think it is a privat hawk moth, that was just my first assumtion becasue i have seen them in my garden and thier is a bit private bush in my basck garden.

Cheers for all the help, cant wait till it emurges and i can finally find out what it is :) Roach dude

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh no its a old cricket pot, the crickets got eated long ago by my leo, i just keep the tubs for other intersting finds lol!

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OK, What i thought to be a moth puape is actully what i believe to be a Field Digger Wasp Mellinus arvensis.took some pics and klet it go. I think that what it is. It has a yellow spoy on the back of its abdomin was about 1-2cm very thin. NOt a chunky wasp. It has black and slighty orange legs at the joint. very spindily legs. Here are some pics :)

Attachments

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What probably happened was the wasp injected the cacoon with her eggs and the baby wasp ate away at the moth and came out a well fed adult. I saw it on Life in The Undergrowth by David Attenborough.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, the wasp is a parasite, and ate the developing moth inside the pupa, so thats why a wasp emerged and not a moth.

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's family Ichneumonidae, parasitized the animal when still in the larval stage and emerges after pupation.

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WOO. Thats aweosme kinda bad at the same time but pretty dam intresting lol!;P Its a nice little wasp :)