Most Visible Dwarf Tarantula That Is Beginner Friendly?

Moroes

Arachnopeon
My Incei is out all the time but this dude is fast. I’m going to attempt to re house him tomorrow. I was going to today but I got too tired. It’s my first rehouse ever LOL. I only got mine a little bit ago. I’ll let you know how it goes.
I went to a convention and the incei was my “impulse buy”. I got it from Tarantula Canada and they basically said what everyone else is. That it’s not a beginner species because of how fast they are, but there could be worse choices. I’d never seen one before and I thought they were so freaking cool looking I had to bring one home. (I also have a phrynus whitei so teleporting doesn’t scare me lol)

I’ve noticed that my n. Incei webbed the top of his enclosure just a little bit, and so when I open the container he runs in to his burrow. If you’re careful and smart about re housing you can simply put the smaller enclosure inside the bigger enclosure, remove the lid, and let him come out on his own time. That’s my plan, anyway. That, or I’ll be crouching inside my bathtub LOL
Yeah, I've been researching a few hours a day straight on all the most talked about T's as I don't want to make a "mistake". I only plan on getting 1, as I do have a few other critters, and I don't want to clutter my room. If I find dwarves to be too fast, and truly not beginner friendly, I may just opt for a regular sized T that are slower, though I had a breeder tell me when a T bolts, their size don't matter much, and that I shouldn't be put off by a dwarf's speed. That's the other issue as well, as there is some conflicting information out there, and I really enjoy this forum, as I can take in lots of people's experiences, and hopefully that helps me make the right choice. Let me know how your rehouse goes. Thankfully as I've read, once they are in their forever home, there's usually little to no reason to ever have to rehouse them.

Listen, you have read WRONG info.
Incei are one of the few NW species that do not have urticating setae.

Clearly the people you learned this idiocy from are not aware of the SCIENCE.
Yeah, which is why I do as much thorough research as possible. There are some people that try to give out advice, that don't even know some of the basic features of the T they are talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reezelbeezelbug

Arachnosquire
You can't go wrong with that list, I don't think you'll struggle to raise any of those unless you get them as teeny 1/8th inch slings and house them in too large an enclosure.

IMO if you can find C ritae that's the one I'd pick. Love the colors and they tend to web a little more than dig compared to the other Cyriocosmus. I have a MF C leetzi that I recently saw out of her burrow for the first time in just under a year. My C elegans has been pretty regularly visible, but has sealed up her burrow about 2 months ago and I haven't seen her since.

D diamantiniensis is just stunning and don't have urticating hairs, so that's an added bonus for them just like the N incei. N incei has two color forms, one of the few tarantuals with "morphs" like you hear about in the reptile hobby. I personally prefer the olive color N incei over the golds, but golds are neat too. D diamantinensis and N incei can be quick, but not impossible for a first time keeper.

Moroes

Arachnopeon
You can't go wrong with that list, I don't think you'll struggle to raise any of those unless you get them as teeny 1/8th inch slings and house them in too large an enclosure.

IMO if you can find C ritae that's the one I'd pick. Love the colors and they tend to web a little more than dig compared to the other Cyriocosmus. I have a MF C leetzi that I recently saw out of her burrow for the first time in just under a year. My C elegans has been pretty regularly visible, but has sealed up her burrow about 2 months ago and I haven't seen her since.

D diamantiniensis is just stunning and don't have urticating hairs, so that's an added bonus for them just like the N incei. N incei has two color forms, one of the few tarantuals with "morphs" like you hear about in the reptile hobby. I personally prefer the olive color N incei over the golds, but golds are neat too. D diamantinensis and N incei can be quick, but not impossible for a first time keeper.
I to prefer the regular olive colouration of the N Incei. I will look up D diamantiniensis again. I forget what those look like.

amblygrey

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I've been researching a few hours a day straight on all the most talked about T's as I don't want to make a "mistake". I only plan on getting 1, as I do have a few other critters, and I don't want to clutter my room. If I find dwarves to be too fast, and truly not beginner friendly, I may just opt for a regular sized T that are slower, though I had a breeder tell me when a T bolts, their size don't matter much, and that I shouldn't be put off by a dwarf's speed. That's the other issue as well, as there is some conflicting information out there, and I really enjoy this forum, as I can take in lots of people's experiences, and hopefully that helps me make the right choice. Let me know how your rehouse goes. Thankfully as I've read, once they are in their forever home, there's usually little to no reason to ever have to rehouse them.
I would be inclined to agree about the bolting part for sure. It’s less about how fast they are and more about her relaxed and comfortable you are, that’s what I’ve experienced so far.
If you can’t find what you want in a tarantula, I would highly recommend looking in to Amblypygi - they are sooooooo cool and I love them 🤣 good luck mate!

amblygrey

Arachnopeon
I would be inclined to agree about the bolting part for sure. It’s less about how fast they are and more about her relaxed and comfortable you are, that’s what I’ve experienced so far.
If you can’t find what you want in a tarantula, I would highly recommend looking in to Amblypygi - they are sooooooo cool and I love them 🤣 good luck mate!
About how relaxed and comfortable you are*

Moroes

Arachnopeon
How did your N. Incei rehoming go?

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
Just on the size thing, I started my snake collection years ago with a pair of tiny Australian ‘Spotted Pythons’ (Anteresia maculosa), not through phobia - but simply because I wasn’t sure about getting a bigger snake for my first…It wasn’t long before I had a 13 foot female ‘Retic’ (Malayopython reticulatus)! :rofl:

Of course everyone’s different, but one of the ways I was able to circumvent my historic arachnopohobia was to get a sub adult ‘Vietnamese Earth Tiger’ (C. Vonwirthi - now believed to be a regional variant of C. minax if I understand correctly). Because grown-on, normal sized, Ts are ‘reasonably sized’ and stocky with an almost ‘furry’ appearance, I was able to trick my brain into thinking of them as ‘small animals’ rather than spiders. :rofl:

Here she is in the temporary Exo Terra breeder box that I brought her home in:

B10BF0AE-AF5C-47E9-8401-8E9A1A4B03A5.jpeg 02D176D4-D28F-450C-A296-0C5BB5E1CB6B.jpeg

Last edited:

Moroes

Arachnopeon
I haven’t done it yet 😅 I revised my plan, I’m going to get a slightly bigger tote this week instead
Record it with a Go Pro lol. So far the N. Incei is #1 pick. I'd rather a Homoeomma chilensis, however that is not likely to be realistic anytime soon. Not sure what happened to my font lol.

Just on the size thing, I started my snake collection years ago with a pair of tiny Australian ‘Spotted Pythons’ (Anteresia maculosa), not though phobia - but simply because I wasn’t sure about getting a bigger snake for my first…It wasn’t long before I had a 13 foot female ‘Retic’ (Malayopython reticulatus)! :rofl:

Of course everyone’s different, but one of the ways I was able to circumvent my historic arachnopohobia was to get a sub adult ‘Vietnamese Earth Tiger’ (C. Vonwirthi - now believed to be a regional variant of C. minax if I understand correctly). Because grown-on, normal sized, Ts are ‘reasonably sized’ and stocky with an almost ‘furry’ appearance, I was able to trick my brain into thinking of them as ‘small animals’ rather than spiders. :rofl:

Here she is in the temporary Exo Terra breeder box that I brought her home in:

View attachment 400023 View attachment 400022
Very nice. 6"+ T's a 8 legged furry bunnies to me. They're not even scary. It's a bit of a space thing. With my guitars, recording equipment for YouTube, garter snakes, crested gecko, isopod, etc. I have just enough room to comfortably house a dwarf. I could have 2-3 full sized T. However I'd have to make some changes to my room...again.

Last edited by a moderator:

amblygrey

Arachnopeon
How did your N. Incei rehoming go?
Alright it happened this afternoon! It went well, he didn’t want to move his lazy bum so I guided him a little with a paint brush. I just put the old enclosure inside the new enclosure and he climbed right out of the old and in to the new :)

Moroes

Arachnopeon
Alright it happened this afternoon! It went well, he didn’t want to move his lazy bum so I guided him a little with a paint brush. I just put the old enclosure inside the new enclosure and he climbed right out of the old and in to the new :)
Very nice. Pics or it never happened. :smirk:

Last edited:

Moroes

Arachnopeon
Incei tend to be very fast and sometimes difficult for beginners.
Yeah. I'm sort of leaning towards rather wanting a fast 2" T vs a 6" fast moving T. Though as mentioned dwarves seem to bolt more often than regular sized ones.