Most Visible Dwarf Tarantula That Is Beginner Friendly?

Moroes

Arachnopeon
I am new to spiders, and arachnaphobic. Jumping spiders and tarantulas don't terrify me for some reason. That said, of all the research I've been doing, I've decided to likely go with a dwarf T rather than a full sized one. Of the following, which is the most visible, that is still considered beginner friendly? I get that most dwarf are pretty skittish / bolty. In order from most ideal to least ideal, how would you rank these? You can add to it if you wish. These are ones that are readily available to me in Canada.

Neoholothele Incei
Cyriocosmus Elegans
Cyriocosmus Ritae
Cyriocosmus Leetzi
Kochiana Brunnipes

Supposedly the Incei has no uricating hairs, and are the most visible. However other threads mention they have uricating hairs, so I don't know what to believe.

cold blood

Staff member
Supposedly the Incei has no uricating hairs, and are the most visible. However other threads mention they have uricating hairs, so I don't know what to believe.
incei are the most visible, but they are still far from what I would call a display species. They do not have urticating hairs.

All the species you mention are lightning fast, and incei is probably the fastest...but theyre not typically defensive....but still not what i would call a beginner sp.

Look at some of the dwarf Aphonopelma species instead.

Hi there
from the list above I don't have the kochiana brunnipes only.They are all pet holes( webs).
Out of them I have seen my N incei AF the least(Only on original housing day over an year ago)Cyriocosmus sp are usually very reclusive too.
Try D diamantinensis.They are a little on the fast side but most dwarfs are and sometimes will stand their ground but are much more visible than the rest on your list.They also don't have urticating setae as a bonus.I had 5 of them and they all rather retreat to their web than bolt out of the enclosure.
Regards Konstantin

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
incei are the most visible, but they are still far from what I would call a display species. They do not have urticating hairs.

All the species you mention are lightning fast, and incei is probably the fastest...but theyre not typically defensive....but still not what i would call a beginner sp.

Not going to find any in Canada, maybe cotztetlana sp morelos tho, they are similar to dwarf aphonopelma, although mine actually molts :troll:

if you do end up ordering from tarcan like you said in the pm, you'll have the choice of a free t.albo aswell.

Last edited:

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Just as a bit of a suggestion for you to consider... Have you thought about maybe getting a spiderling of a regular beginner tarantula?

This way you can start small, you will grow and develop your skills with them as they grow, and slowly eat away at that arachnophobia at the same time!

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
The two hapalopus sp Colombia Lg I have are usually out, great eaters and easy to work with. K brunnipes and C elegans I rarely see. D diamantinensis have more attitude and speed than some of the others but are really fun to keep

Moroes

Arachnopeon

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into aphonopelma species as well. I'm not completely against your 4" - 6" T's out there like the curly hair, etc, however I do find something small that's around 2" and fast much less freaky. I get that it's not just about my fear, and it's for the safety of the T as well, as something small and lightning fast, can be prone to getting hurt if you don't know what you're doing.

Hi there
from the list above I don't have the kochiana brunnipes only.They are all pet holes( webs).
Out of them I have seen my N incei AF the least(Only on original housing day over an year ago)Cyriocosmus sp are usually very reclusive too.
Try D diamantinensis.They are a little on the fast side but most dwarfs are and sometimes will stand their ground but are much more visible than the rest on your list.They also don't have urticating setae as a bonus.I had 5 of them and they all rather retreat to their web than bolt out of the enclosure.
Regards Konstantin
Thanks for the reply. I will look into the D diamantinensis.

Not going to find any in Canada, maybe cotztetlana sp morelos tho, they are similar to dwarf aphonopelma, although mine actually molts :troll:

if you do end up ordering from tarcan like you said in the pm, you'll have the choice of a free t.albo aswell.
Oh? Tarcan gives out T albos with all their orders? I'll have to check that out, as I did not notice that. I'll Google cotz sp morelos as well, thank you. Do you know how big the cotz sp morelos get? I can't find much on Google. Most of the stuff I find are threads you started lol.

Just as a bit of a suggestion for you to consider... Have you thought about maybe getting a spiderling of a regular beginner tarantula?

This way you can start small, you will grow and develop your skills with them as they grow, and slowly eat away at that arachnophobia at the same time!
I have not completely abandoned the idea of a sling curly hair T for example, and watch it grow. I don't think a 6" T would scare me. I just thought a 2" fast dwarf T would be less scary, though I understand it's not just about that, it's having the experience to catch your dwarf bolting without injuring it.

aphonopelma paloma but there pretty pricey
I will Google that now, thank you.

The two hapalopus sp Colombia Lg I have are usually out, great eaters and easy to work with. K brunnipes and C elegans I rarely see. D diamantinensis have more attitude and speed than some of the others but are really fun to keep
I will check those out, thank you.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Oh? Tarcan gives out T albos with all their orders? I'll have to check that out, as I did not notice that. I'll Google cotz sp morelos as well, thank you. Do you know how big the cotz sp morelos get? I can't find much on Google. Most of the stuff I find are threads you started lol.
3 inches, yes they do give out albos. The morelos are sold at one of the other stores I told u in the pm.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper

Moroes

Arachnopeon
Out of the ones you listed N. incei are probably the most visible, my C. leetzi is a pet hole, don't own any of the others. If you can find one then Neischnocolus sp. "Panama" are great, mine is out all of the time, eats well, and is pretty chill (they have urticating hairs but he's never kicked at me).

Wow, that looks amazing. I can get a 1/8" for $70 Canadian from Tarantula Canada. They call it Neischnocolus panamanus. I'm guessing that is the exact same. This made the top 10 species list by the Tarantula Collective on YouTube of best tarantulas to handle.

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
Wow, that looks amazing. I can get a 1/8" for $70 Canadian from Tarantula Canada. They call it Neischnocolus panamanus. I'm guessing that is the exact same. This made the top 10 species list by the Tarantula Collective on YouTube of best tarantulas to handle.
Please don’t handle your ts.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
They call it Neischnocolus panamanus. I'm guessing that is the exact same.
Nope, Neischnocolus panamanus is a different species (it's what used to be Ami bladesi prior to being revised, Neischnocolus sp. "Panama" is still undescribed), you might want to fire them a message and check which species they actually have because I've seen sellers here in the UK advertise Neischnocolus panamanus using pictures of Neischnocolus sp. "Panama".

This made the top 10 species list by the Tarantula Collective on YouTube of best tarantulas to handle.
Ugh (I'd insert a Pinhead facepalm image but the mods would just delete it)... In short, you shouldn't handle any of them.

Moroes

Arachnopeon
Please don’t handle your ts.
Wasn't planning on it. Was sharing where I heard about them.

Nope, Neischnocolus panamanus is a different species (it's what used to be Ami bladesi prior to being revised, Neischnocolus sp. "Panama" is still undescribed), you might want to fire them a message and check which species they actually have because I've seen sellers here in the UK advertise Neischnocolus panamanus using pictures of Neischnocolus sp. "Panama".

Ugh (I'd insert a Pinhead facepalm image but the mods would just delete it)... In short, you shouldn't handle any of them.
Wasn't planning on it. I was sharing where I heard of them before. For a first T I rather look at a list of ones that are good for handling, vs ones known to be really aggressive. I'll message them, and hopefully they know what I'm talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Wasn't planning on it. I was sharing where I heard of them before.
Yeah, fair enough, I was more annoyed at the fact he even made that specific list, I know he has to put out so many videos to stay relevant and keep up his view count to make revenue off YouTube but some of his lists are dumb AF.

The vast majority of what are considered beginner species generally have pretty good temperaments (although you can get individuals that buck the trend or change over time).

I'll message them, and hopefully they know what I'm talking about.
I hope so. Unfortunately a lot of known sellers and YouTubers have been mislabelling them for the last two years (which goes to show how many of them actually read taxonomic papers).

Moroes

Arachnopeon
Yeah, fair enough, I was more annoyed at the fact he even made that specific list, I know he has to put out so many videos to stay relevant and keep up his view count to make revenue off YouTube but some of his lists are dumb AF.

The vast majority of what are considered beginner species generally have pretty good temperaments (although you can get individuals that buck the trend or change over time).

I hope so. Unfortunately a lot of known sellers and YouTubers have been mislabelling them for the last two years (which goes to show how many of them actually read taxonomic papers).
Yep. Even a total T noob such as myself questioned some of his lists, and quickly referenced other articles to assure I wasn't crazy to disagree with someone who knows much more than I do.

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel

The craziest thing I heard so far is petting your Tarantula. Yea let me rub my finger on some urticating hairs that makes sense.

Moroes

Arachnopeon
The craziest thing I heard so far is petting your Tarantula. Yea let me rub my finger on some urticating hairs that makes sense.
I actually read an article like that last night, stating that you can train your tarantula to enjoy being pet...Even I won't fall for that.

amblygrey

Arachnopeon
I am new to spiders, and arachnaphobic. Jumping spiders and tarantulas don't terrify me for some reason. That said, of all the research I've been doing, I've decided to likely go with a dwarf T rather than a full sized one. Of the following, which is the most visible, that is still considered beginner friendly? I get that most dwarf are pretty skittish / bolty. In order from most ideal to least ideal, how would you rank these? You can add to it if you wish. These are ones that are readily available to me in Canada.

Neoholothele Incei
Cyriocosmus Elegans
Cyriocosmus Ritae
Cyriocosmus Leetzi
Kochiana Brunnipes

My Incei is out all the time but this dude is fast. I’m going to attempt to re house him tomorrow. I was going to today but I got too tired. It’s my first rehouse ever LOL. I only got mine a little bit ago. I’ll let you know how it goes.
I went to a convention and the incei was my “impulse buy”. I got it from Tarantula Canada and they basically said what everyone else is. That it’s not a beginner species because of how fast they are, but there could be worse choices. I’d never seen one before and I thought they were so freaking cool looking I had to bring one home. (I also have a phrynus whitei so teleporting doesn’t scare me lol)

I’ve noticed that my n. Incei webbed the top of his enclosure just a little bit, and so when I open the container he runs in to his burrow. If you’re careful and smart about re housing you can simply put the smaller enclosure inside the bigger enclosure, remove the lid, and let him come out on his own time. That’s my plan, anyway. That, or I’ll be crouching inside my bathtub LOL

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Neoholothele Incei
Cyriocosmus Elegans
Cyriocosmus Ritae
Cyriocosmus Leetzi
Kochiana Brunnipes

Supposedly the Incei has no uricating hairs, and are the most visible
. However other threads mention they have uricating hairs, so I don't know what to believe.
Listen, you have read WRONG info.
Incei are one of the few NW species that do not have urticating setae.

Clearly the people you learned this idiocy from are not aware of the SCIENCE.