Most satisfying slow growing species?

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
I'm in a search for a fun slow growing species to raise from a sling. I find fast growers fun so far, but i kind of want a lifelong T that i will point to in 30 years and say ' i raised that!' :rofl: What were some of your fun experiences with some slow growers and what would you recommend?

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I'm in a search for a fun slow growing species to raise from a sling. I find fast growers fun so far, but i kind of want a lifelong T that i will point to in 30 years and say ' i raised that!' :rofl: What were some of your fun experiences with some slow growers and what would you recommend?
A. chalcodes. It may outlive you! Lol!!!!!

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Oh, I didn't realize your location til I just looked. Yeah, they're common and dirt cheap here in the States.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There's nothing fun for me with slow growing species. I do like H. chilensis, and its yellowed colored genus mate, orellani I believe.

Widely regarded as one of the slowest growing genus is Pseudohapalopus, any member.

vicareux

Widely regarded as one of the slowest growing genus is Pseudohapalopus, any member.
Funny, my girlfriend has a small collection of T's as well. Her L.parahybana molted two or three times in the span of two years, still small, while her Pseudhapalopus sp. "Kurzhaar" seems to be the fastest and larger growers in her collection, far overtaking and exceeding the "fast growers".

H. chilensis - noted.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
for me so far its been my p muticus for my jars of dirt. pet rocks is my b hamorri

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Funny, my girlfriend has a small collection of T's as well. Her L.parahybana molted two or three times in the span of two years, still small, while her Pseudhapalopus sp. "Kurzhaar" seems to be the fastest and larger growers in her collection, far overtaking and exceeding the "fast growers".

H. chilensis - noted.
always exceptions to the rule

cold blood

Staff member
A. ezendami Sings grow painfully slow and arent the best eaters either...but when those colors come, it's such a treat and not only do they look fantastic, but they also become better eaters and growth picks up....so totally worth the wait.

B. albiceps...these are the slowest growing slings I have ever raised, and that includes chalcodes....they eat almost nothing and molt at slower speeds than many adults of other species. But, when they get their colors, they are only of the most beautiful and unique species...so yeah, totally worth the painful wait. And like they ezendami, adults and juvies become great eaters.

Last edited:

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
A. ezedami Sings grow painfully slow and arent the best eaters either...but when those colors come, it's such a treat and not only do they look fantastic, but they also become better eaters and growth picks up....so totally worth the wait.

B. albiceps...these are the slowest growing slings I have ever raised, and that includes chalcodes....they eat almost nothing and molt at slower speeds than many adults of other species. But, when they get their colors, they are only of the most beautiful and unique species...so yeah, totally worth the painful wait. And like they ezendami, adults and juvies become great eaters.
brachypelma auratum sling molted twice in 8 months and my 1/2 inch A. ezendami still hasn’t molted. At least not that I know of.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
D2A089E7-C338-4193-96B6-09EAFE3F5F8A.jpeg

Aphonopelma mooreae

Recent molt dates:

Jun 9, 2019
Aug 9, 2019
May 28, 2020
Sep 5, 2020
May 11, 2021
Apr 22, 2022

This species gets smaller molt after molt. Am I imagining things or what?

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Hmmm ... I'm going to say B. emilia. They grow slowly, but their coloration is so beautiful as they grow. Rewarding to watch over time.

vicareux

Hmmm ... I'm going to say B. emilia. They grow slowly, but their coloration is so beautiful as they grow. Rewarding to watch over time.
Mine have been kinda boring... rarely get to see those colors because they hide in their burrows all the time :shifty:

joossa

Arachnobaron
B. albiceps for sure. They take longer to get their bright colors than others in the same genus, but it's worthwhile. At 2in to 2.5in they still show some of the sling brown color, where a B. hamorii of the same size, for example will already have some orange and black to show off.

Different individuals I have now:

20210729_192422.jpg 20211027_182013.jpg 20211220_195912.jpg 20220727_210903.jpg 20220727_211048.jpg 20220727_210210.jpg 20220325_180537.jpg 20220730_102657.jpg 20220713_164752.jpg 20220713_164644.jpg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
View attachment 426271

Aphonopelma mooreae

Recent molt dates:

Jun 9, 2019
Aug 9, 2019
May 28, 2020
Sep 5, 2020
May 11, 2021
Apr 22, 2022

This species gets smaller molt after molt. Am I imagining things or what?
Curious when the colors come in?

I waited 9 months to see a molt from my 3/4" P. muticus sling. 13/16ths now.
9 months- I’m waiting 2 yrs on a H chilensis that hasn’t eaten in at least 1.5 yrs. It’s about the size of a quarter.

Slow, but not that slow, at least my female wasn’t too bad actually.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Brachypelma either hamorii or boehmei they are my slowest growing, I have raised all Brachypelma in the hobby smithi, baumgarteni, klassi, albiceps, have all put on OK size in a year ranging from 1.5 inch to 2.5 inch and moulted regularly. Auratum grew slowly till recently hit 2cm n is now powering through moults, but my hamorii n boehmei slings moult rarely and are still about an inch just. I have had all of mine between 1.4 years n a year . My Grammostola pulchra sling is slow growing too had her 8 months only seen her once n only know she moulted coz she went in the burrow with sling colours n came out pulchra black, before taking 1 meal n sealing her burrow bk up 🤣 slings 🤷‍♀️ Gl on your t quest Vi 😊

Edit
Didn't mention emilia coz you've already got them 😊

Last edited:

Marlana

Arachnoknight
I really enjoy Euathlus species. And of course Homoeomma chilensis. Grammostola rosea. Sooo Chilean species basically.

I have a couple Euathlus sp gold that just molted after a year of doing nothing. Interesting they all molted within days of each other too. Actually all my Chilean species molt and eat well in summer when my house is hot (no AC), then do a whole lot of nothing the rest of the year.