Most primitive of all Tarantulas (living fossil)

LV-426

Arachnobaron
i was randomly wondering about ancient tarantulas. i know Ts are primitive spiders, but what T would be considered a living fossil like the coelocanth. Would a T. blondi be the most primitive of all Ts alive? {D

endoflove

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Liphistius sp. are good if u are talking about other spiders im not sure about true T's hmmm good question

LV-426

Arachnobaron
i am talking strictly tarantulas. I was thinking since there was a time when spiders grew huge due to high oxygen levels in the past. T blondis are considered the largest Ts, so would they be like a relic. A downsized version of the dino-Ts

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
i am talking strictly tarantulas. I was thinking since there was a time when spiders grew huge due to high oxygen levels in the past. T blondis are considered the largest Ts, so would they be like a relic. A downsized version of the dino-Ts
Larger size does not mean older genetics. Size simply reflects a adaptive change to satisfy biological needs of the current environment.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
thanks JC, the genetics what i was looking for. then lets ask the question what T would have the oldest genetic pedigree?

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Larger size does not mean older genetics. Size simply reflects a adaptive change to satisfy biological needs of the current environment.
But, it's incorrect to say ''to satisfy biological needs...''. Natural Selection is not driven by needs, but from environment pressures, which makes successful (in terms of individual survival and reproduction) adaptations passed on through generations.

Pato-

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Liphistius sp. are good if u are talking about other spiders im not sure about true T's hmmm good question
Likely. Those look almost like they could be the descendants of the arachnids that had seperated from the scorpions path in the evolutionary tree. I know both are arachnids, but have no idea exactly how close tarantulas and scorpions are related. :eek::wall::?

8by8

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
MI'M no DNA expert, but I would say the T with the oldest genetics would be an OW sp.. I THINK this because I would think that new worlds would have evolved to have U-hairs. But maybe OW lost this ability to kick hairs? Then there's the whole Pangea and then the Psalmo, Pokie thing.