Most messed up Genus?

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What would it be? Avicularia? I would like to discuss this, sorry if it has been discussed before. I have never owned any Avics. I know, I know shame on me right? :wall:

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Aphonopelma and Avicularia are the first ones that come to mind.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lasiodora was on my mind but I didn't think it was that messed up. The Theraphosa Genus is getting some updates soon as well right? Yeah Aphonopelma as well, completely forgot about them. That might be why I don't own any of these genus, because a lot of them do not have an exact scientific name people are sure of. Man this hobby is messed up {D

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Lasiodora was on my mind but I didn't think it was that messed up. The Theraphosa Genus is getting some updates soon as well right?
Yeah, Sp burgundy to Theraphosa spinipes, which was first described as Lasiodora spinipes, there's a whole bunch of the Lasiodora genus which I think will get reclassified over time.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
What would it be? Avicularia?
Avicularia needs a lottttt of work done!That's one genus I'm sure some taxonomists would not want to dive into!hehe
A couple people mentioned Aphonopelma and I would say that in the next 5 years we will see some major changes with that genus.One problem with the US Aphonopelma is that the type specimen for this genus is Aphonopelma seemani,which has nothing to do with the Aphonopelma we know in the USA!
-Chris

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Don't forget about Pamphobeteus. And unless I'm mistaken, the entire subfamilies of Ornithoctoninae and Selenocosminae need some ironing-out too.

PhobeToPhile

Arachnoknight
Aphonopelma springs to mind immediately. Does Lasiodora have alot of species (like the spinipes) which need to be transferred into other groups?

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
messed up genus

ive been on some field trips in africa! Pterinochilus! there are so many veriations! but i think avics have it bad aswell!

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Isnt this going to be easier if you ask "which genus' is least messed up?

Which is why i currently like the obscure monotypic genera best.

:)
s

else, maybe i would vote for Metriopelma (though several probably form a monophyletic group) and agree with Lasiodora.., both big challenges.

Roy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What about the whole Lampropelma vs Cyriopagopus mess?

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How does that answer the question?

Suprisingly, no one mentioned Hysterocrates.
Well as mentioned previously, it would be easier to sit here and name genus' that aren't as messed up, with Lasiodora I was stating one of the genus' that I personally think is fairly messed up, of course there are other genus' that are messed up and my choice for picking Lasiodora was based on the fact that so many of the species in that group are not even known of, and so many of the ones to have been re-described into other genus' have been spread into such a vast array of totally different genus, again its a personal belief.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It would have been easier to sort the less messed up gen uses.

Avicularia, Lasiodora, Lampropelma vs whatever lives in trees over there, Pamphos...

It would be a safe bet to say that any genus with many look alike species is in danger of misbreeding.

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
IMHO , I think the Avicularia species would have to be first . Then the Aphonopelma . The Theraphosa genus is starting to get crowded even though there is only 3 species lol .

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
this, for me.

after that would be Avicularia, followed by Haplopelma
I think your right about the Haplopelma . Did I already say Brachypelma ? Cause they're has been alot of reports of Brachys being mislabeled and the customers not knowing what they were .