Most interesting scorpion

akazaran

Arachnopeon
Hello everybody,
Do you guys notice differences ins behavior beteween different scorpion species? And if it is the case what is, for you, the specie with the most interesting behavior?

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Hello everybody,
Do you guys notice differences ins behavior beteween different scorpion species? And if it is the case what is, for you, the specie with the most interesting behavior?

The largest Buthid in the world, Parabuthus villosus:

Screenshot_20190910-045019_Drive.jpg

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Agree 100% @Outpost31Survivor! I keep P. villosus (black) and it never disappoints, always active, curious, and eating.

Now, if you truly desire to know the parameters between most interesting, P. villosus, to least interesting, the least would be H. troglodytes. I got mine over a year and a half ago as 2 instar, and it is still 2 instar. If you are one who likes looking at an enclosure full of flat rocks, and not have to waste money on feeders, one of these is what you want.

akazaran

Arachnopeon
That s funny. I got my first P villosus and it fits exactly with your description: "always active, curious, and eating"
And it looks fantastic!

Mordax8393

Arachnoknight
Here are some interesting scorpions:

Parabuthus transvaalicus: sprays venom out the tail at attackers
Chaerilus sp.: Don't fluoresce
Akrav israchanani: Only member of family, cave-dwelling, only dead ones have been found
Apistobuthus pterygocerus: Very interesting tail morphology
Superstitionia donensis: Sole member of family
Microtityus: Smallest scorpions
Diplocentrus melici: Antibiotic venom
Leiurus quinquestriatus: Venom has a quality that can highlight brain tumors in humans (to make surgery easier)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Granted, I have very limited experience with scorpions but the most interesting out of those I've kept is Paravaejovis spinigerus, pretty much always out, feisty, quick to use its stinger, and a great eater.

Least interesting was Heterometrus laoticus.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I really love the look of colorful communal species all hanging out together, such as Tityus and Centruroides.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

akazaran

Arachnopeon
Arthroverts: The idea of keeping communaly hot scorps like Tityus communaly scare me a bit. I think I might be surprised by 1 individual while my attention is focused on another one but I never tryed so ultimately I have no idea and the idea of keeping scorps communaly is definitely attracting. What is your opinion regarding safety (I mean safety of the breeder)? Did you develop any particular protocol to work with this kind of setting?

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Might be hard for you to come across them but these guys do it for me. They inhabit coastal sand dunes right down to the water line, living along side ghost crabs, in bigger enclosures they will run down crickets in the blink of an eye, quite often catching them mid air.
They are savage breeders, even to a point where males will break females claws, I will be pairing mine up this week maybe.
It's like a scorpion that wishes that they were a crab and honestly, who doesn't love a beach themed enclosure?
Urodacus Novahollandae- Coastal dune scorpion.
IMG_20190912_064427.jpg

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@akazaran, I am not the best person to talk to when it comes to safety and potent buthids; people like @ArachnoDrew, @Jason Brantley, @Scorpionluva, @ButhidaeBomb, and @brandontmyers all have a LOT more experience than I do on this subject.

With that said, a high(er) enclosure and the use of tongs could easily mitigate the risk of a sting from my understanding. Also, not all Tityus sp. are deadly venomous; it is a large genus with a wide variety in venom potency; I personally would only keep the non-fatal species, as I don't have the expertise yet to deal with the likes of T. serrulatus and T. stigmurus.
If only T. smithi were more common in the hobby (and cheaper!)...

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts

akazaran

Arachnopeon
Australia is such a cool place.You can get stung by a scorpions and a Deadly venomous fish at the very same place!:D

NMWAPBT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Orthochirus innesi do this funny metasoma wag. The move it side to side almost like they're using it for radar. Pretty sure they're the only ones that do it.

NMWAPBT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
@akazaran, I am not the best person to talk to when it comes to safety and potent buthids; people like @ArachnoDrew, @Jason Brantley, @Scorpionluva, @ButhidaeBomb, and @brandontmyers all have a LOT more experience than I do on this subject.

With that said, a high(er) enclosure and the use of tongs could easily mitigate the risk of a sting from my understanding. Also, not all Tityus sp. are deadly venomous; it is a large genus with a wide variety in venom potency; I personally would only keep the non-fatal species, as I don't have the expertise yet to deal with the likes of T. serrulatus and T. stigmurus.
If only T. smithi were more common in the hobby (and cheaper!)...

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts
What's tityus smithi venom like? Is it not as potent as others in the genus?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@NMWAPBT, I hear it is likely not deadly, only about 3/5 on the scale. There isn't really any conclusive information on their venom, but that was what I was told by someone who was breeding them. They are the only other species of Tityus I've seen available in the US other than T. stigmurus and T. serrulatus.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

woodie

Arachnosquire
@NMWAPBT, I hear it is likely not deadly, only about 3/5 on the scale. There isn't really any conclusive information on their venom, but that was what I was told by someone who was breeding them. They are the only other species of Tityus I've seen available in the US other than T. stigmurus and T. serrulatus.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Sometimes I've seen Tityus asthenes for sale, But rarely. Has really creepy long pedipalps. Not sure toxicity of its venom

NMWAPBT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

Thanks,

Arthroverts
It would be really cool if they were only a 3. I'd definitely want some in my collection then. I've also considered microtityus really neat little scorpions. Super small. Some were available on an import n I passed them up along with a few others. Really regretting it now .

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@NMWAPBT, tell me where this import was available, ahh!

Anyway, Microtityus sp. are awesome, but I have a terrible time with small invertebrates. I just don't do well with them.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

NMWAPBT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
@NMWAPBT, tell me where this import was available, ahh!

Anyway, Microtityus sp. are awesome, but I have a terrible time with small invertebrates. I just don't do well with them.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
It was one 03 arachnids was doing. Last chance to order was mid Aug. Definitely not going to pass them up next time. Funds weren't aligned with my wants this time around. Next time I may just have to use a credit card lmao .