Most hated common names

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
What is your most hated common name for tarantulas?

The one I hate the most is the 'Pink Zebra Beauty'. Seeing it in acronyms (PZB) triggers me even more and brings about an urge to punch someone, preferably the person who first gave it this name. The name is gimmicky AF. Like, what the hell is it? A Salmon Pink? A Costa Rican Zebra? No, it's <swearword> both! Now doesn't that make you want to buy it? But wait, there's more. Unlike other tarantulas, it has the word 'beauty' in its name so you know it's beautiful because it tells you. The Pink Zebra Beauty, it's the gimmick trifecta, now buy this damn thing.

No offense to the people who like the species Eupalaestrus campestratus, I don't hate them. It's just the common name I absolutely can't stand.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I hate the common name for the LP: the "Salmon-pink Birdeater". Pink? Where's the pink part? If it WAS pink, that would actually be really cool, but the LP is not pink. Every LP I've ever seen is either a navy blue or a purplish color. It looks awesome, but it ain't pink. Please, pinch-grab an LP and closely examine it for a pink color. I guarantee you will not find it.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
What is your most hated common name for tarantulas?

The one I hate the most is the 'Pink Zebra Beauty'. Seeing it in acronyms (PZB) triggers me even more and brings about an urge to punch someone, preferably the person who first gave it this name. The name is gimmicky AF. Like, what the hell is it? A Salmon Pink? A Costa Rican Zebra? No, it's <swearword> both! Now doesn't that make you want to buy it? But wait, there's more. Unlike other tarantulas, it has the word 'beauty' in its name so you know it's beautiful because it tells you. The Pink Zebra Beauty, it's the gimmick trifecta, now buy this damn thing.

No offense to the people who like the species Eupalaestrus campestratus, I don't hate them. It's just the common name I absolutely can't stand.
I had a friend who named his "Pizub" because of that common name. That's how I say it in my head every time now.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Red leg, red knee, etc.. Seems to describe several Brachys....
I never know which is which -- which one is supposed to be a smithi, emilia, baumgarteni, etc? ... Confusing for me.

sasker

Arachnoprince
I don't really get "Green Bottle Blue". I mean, is it derived from green bottle fly? If so, would Green Bottle Orange not make more sense? Is it derived from Cockney rhyme slang ('Bottle and Glass') and if so, the abdomen is not green, it's orange. Perhaps it's perfectly understandable for native English speakers, but I always thought it is confusing. :confused:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I hate the common name for the LP: the "Salmon-pink Birdeater". Pink? Where's the pink part? If it WAS pink, that would actually be really cool, but the LP is not pink. Every LP I've ever seen is either a navy blue or a purplish color. It looks awesome, but it ain't pink. Please, pinch-grab an LP and closely examine it for a pink color. I guarantee you will not find it.
They aren't quite completely pink, but I wouldn't say they don't have any. I think that the name "salmon pink" stems from their abdomen's hairs that are a reddish pink coloration, if you look closeley at an LP abdomen they all have this but it's more red then pink.

Attachments

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Just 'birdeater' in general.

1) Tarantulas almost never have the opportunity to eat birds, so it's an inaccurate description of their life stye which only makes people fear them more.
2) Because it could describe 90 or more species, it's basically useless.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Just 'birdeater' in general.

1) Tarantulas almost never have the opportunity to eat birds, so it's an inaccurate description of their life stye which only makes people fear them more.
2) Because it could describe 90 or more species, it's basically useless.
I love the Birdeating reputation. It sounds so cool, I wish some scorpions had it too...

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
Burmese mustard tarantula.

It's just not right... :banghead:
That is a terrible common name, but I love mustard... so I feel torn. It's (edit: Chilobrachys andersoni) definitely now on the list, and when I get one, I'm naming it Mustard :rofl:

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
Well these are better than in the roach hobby. Elliptorhina javanicas "official" common name is the java hisser. It's from Madagascar, not even on the same continent as java. And even the scientific name is wrong for all you purest out there.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
That is a terrible common name, but I love mustard... so I feel torn. It's (edit: Chilobrachys andersoni) definitely now on the list, and when I get one, I'm naming it Mustard :rofl:
I always thought C. andersoni was Malaysian Mahogany? Which describes the color much better than mustard...

And on the plus, every time I hear the name I think of this:

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Anyone else confused by "baboon" spiders? I've heard some people claim it's because they're from Africa, which is where baboons are from. But isn't that kind of a weird reason? And some people say their feet look like baboon fingers. But I've never noticed their feet looking any different from other spiders. I see differences between terrestrial and arboreal feet.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
I don't really get "Green Bottle Blue". I mean, is it derived from green bottle fly? If so, would Green Bottle Orange not make more sense? Is it derived from Cockney rhyme slang ('Bottle and Glass') and if so, the abdomen is not green, it's orange. Perhaps it's perfectly understandable for native English speakers, but I always thought it is confusing. :confused:
as a native english speaker its not that understandable hah. I've always wondered myself

Anyone else confused by "baboon" spiders? I've heard some people claim it's because they're from Africa, which is where baboons are from. But isn't that kind of a weird reason? And some people say their feet look like baboon fingers. But I've never noticed their feet looking any different from other spiders. I see differences between terrestrial and arboreal feet.
this is more to refer to the actual Sub-Family.

a lot of species get the term "baboon" added to their name simply because they are from africa or look similar, but the true Baboon spiders( Think P. Muticus, P murinus, ETC) are actually a subfamily (Harpactirinae) of the tarantula family (Theraphosidae)

keks

Arachnobaron
I don't use common names, I prefer the scientific names. So everyone knows immediately which spider (or any other animal) is meant ^^. With common names it is never clear.