Most fragile Ts

Predacons5

Arachnosquire
Based off of the dismal survival rate of this particular species as 3/4" slings a few days after arrival from being shipped overnight, I'd have to say Ornithoctonus aureotibialis. I've made 2 separate purchases for 2 slings each try, and both instances produced the same result for some reason. 1 makes it and the other dies. No other T's in my collection has such awful survival rates. If anyone has tips for this species I'd love to read it. Does this species need to be kept more moist than many other T's out there during 1st arrival? It seems like they get dehydrated very easily.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Most of the high altitude species. They tend to grow slow and their environmental needs are difficult to reproduce in captivity. Most spiders can be kept in a plastic box with some dirt, however high altitude species have been proven over and over again to do poorly and not reproduce well in captivity.

Later, Tom

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I suppose for me it was avics. One did great in an inverted peanut jar with lots of cross ventilation -- grew up healthy. Yet a later purchased sling died in same 'sling' re-used enclosure. No idea why. :(
Not kept damp/clammy for either -- one made it to adulthood; one never thrived. Same enclosure and conditions.....

I suppose some slings just don't make it; but as a T keeper, I felt responsible anyway. I lost the A diversipes, yet the A avic did fine (well, until he MM). :banghead:

Predacons5

Arachnosquire
Most of the high altitude species. They tend to grow slow and their environmental needs are difficult to reproduce in captivity. Most spiders can be kept in a plastic box with some dirt, however high altitude species have been proven over and over again to do poorly and not reproduce well in captivity.

Later, Tom
Do they do poorly even when kept at 75 F?

My experience with orchids that come from South America that are found at around 2,000 meters to 2,500 meters above sea level is that they tend to do better at 75 F as their average high end temperature. Many of the orchids that grow at around this elevation are the Masdevallias and other Pleurothallids. With these orchids, 75 F is the safe high end temperature with them being able to tolerate 80 F for short periods of time. If the temperature in my room approaches 80 F, I increase my air circulation, and it tends to keep these orchids out of being stressed.

The temperature ranges I like to keep my orchids that come from this high up is 45 F - 75 F. They do even better when the nighttime temperature drops by at least 10 F - 15 F lower than the high end temperature. A 20 F difference between day and night works much better with the orchids.

I don't know how well this translates to keeping tarantulas/spiders that come from this elevation, but I know for orchids it helps tremendously. I tend to keep both orchids and tarantulas in the same room. I guess it also helps that I like it around 75 in my room anyways.

I started keeping tarantulas since March 2019, so my knowledge of which spiders come from which elevations is still lacking. I've only just found out that I got at least 1 species that comes from this high up after having gotten them.

Last edited:

MainMann

Arachnosquire
Do they do poorly even when kept at 75 F?

My experience with orchids that come from South America that are found at around 2,000 meters to 2,500 meters above sea level is that they tend to do better at 75 F as their average high end temperature. Many of the orchids that grow at around this elevation are the Masdevallias and other Pleurothallids. With these orchids, 75 F is the safe high end temperature with them being able to tolerate 80 F for short periods of time. If the temperature in my room approaches 80 F, I increase my air circulation, and it tends to keep these orchids out of being stressed.

The temperature ranges I like to keep my orchids that come from this high up is 45 F - 75 F. They do even better when the nighttime temperature drops by at least 10 F - 15 F lower than the high end temperature. A 20 F difference between day and night works much better with the orchids.

I don't know how well this translates to keeping tarantulas/spiders that come from this elevation, but I know for orchids it helps tremendously. I tend to keep both orchids and tarantulas in the same room. I guess it also helps that I like it around 75 in my room anyways.

I started keeping tarantulas since March 2019, so my knowledge of which spiders come from which elevations is still lacking. I've only just found out that I got at least 1 species that comes from this high up after having gotten them.
I'm also quite new in the spider hobby, but i am about certain that Ts are far more tolerant of temperature changes than orchids are. As many people have said before, there are very little Ts that are actually "fragile" or "weak". Because in general, if given their correct, basic care needs, they will live. And if I'm not mistaken, I've read an article by University of Calgary, room temp at about 70-80s should be fine for all Ts. But of course, I'm just speaking from what I've read, because so far i haven't had any issues with temps at all, and it gets pretty hot over here

Predacons5

Arachnosquire
I'm also quite new in the spider hobby, but i am about certain that Ts are far more tolerant of temperature changes than orchids are. As many people have said before, there are very little Ts that are actually "fragile" or "weak". Because in general, if given their correct, basic care needs, they will live. And if I'm not mistaken, I've read an article by University of Calgary, room temp at about 70-80s should be fine for all Ts. But of course, I'm just speaking from what I've read, because so far i haven't had any issues with temps at all, and it gets pretty hot over here
Yeah, I haven’t had issues with my tarantulas dying from temperatures that get up into 80 F either. I mostly keep the room at around 75 F because it sucks for me to live in a stuffy room that gets about 80 F. There’s also the orchids and the dart frogs. It’s easier to keep everything at a nice 75 F for everything/everyone.

I did even read that some high elevation T’s experience ambient air temperatures that are in the 80’s F during the day and pretty cool (maybe in the mid-40’s F to 50’s F) at night. It is the burrow temperature that stays relatively consistent at around 70 F +\- 2 F.

WolleWolf

Arachnopeon
The key is ventilation! Not one T has died in over 10years since I gave them good enclosures with enough ventilation (knock on wood!).
And if you don´t "overcare" your T, all of them are hardy!

basin79

ArachnoGod
Most fragile tarantulas?

The ones being handled, the ones being allowed to crawl on a face, a head, a back. The ones that are used for "funny" practical jokes on YouTube and put on someone who's scared of spiders.

Predacons5

Arachnosquire
Xenesthis sp...have less tolerant moisture requirements... They're not hard to keep, but it takes time and experience to develop the feel for proper moisture levels in their enclosures.
I have done a tiny bit of research into Xenesthis spp. From what I have read of their habitat descriptions, it doesn't seem as if certain Xenesthis spp. are sensitive to drier conditions, (at least with Xenesthis sp. Blue, it doesn't). It seems as if there are accounts of them living in semi-arid conditions in the wild. You can read the following quoted caption to a color photo in the Journal of the British Tarantula Society 33(2) Sept 2018:

"Fig. 9 : fully grown female of Xenesthis sp. ‘blue’ - a species that can often be found below rocks in a dry habitat in the highlands of Colombia. Photo © C. Andre & B. Weber" (Andre, 2018, page 27)

Reference:
Andre, C. (2018). Pamphobeteus ultramarinus (Schmidt, 1995): Habitat, Lifestyle, Captive Care and Breeding. Journal of the British Tarantula Society, 33(2), 27.

I am currently keeping a small group of Xenesthis immanis, and so far, they do not appear to be particularly sensitive about humidity.

Megaphobema mesomelas and other montane species like cooler temps than what is normally provided for other species.
There is currently no evidence/hard data that supports that Megaphobema mesomelas requires cooler ambient air temperatures at all times. This particular species has been known to inhabit the Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve in Costa Rica where there are recorded daily ambient daytime temperatures and ambient nighttime temperatures as well as monthly averages of the ambient high and low temperatures throughout a particular year you can easily look up right now to see exactly what the ambient air temperatures are where this tarantula is located. This particular region has been recorded to have high ambient air temperatures of up to 85 F during the day. It may be windy there, but the actual ambient air temperature can sometimes be 85 F. (https://weather.com/weather/monthly/l/CSXX0277:1:CS)

In case people are wondering how it is possible for it to feel like it is pretty cool when the actual ambient air temperature is 85 F, think about when you are at the beach where it is 90 F and it is very windy. Does it feel warm there or does it feel rather cool? It is not possible to find out what the numerical value of a parameter like temperature is based off of feeling/sensory perception in every context, it is better to determine this using a thermometer.

If I can find the actual temperature of the burrow in my research, I will post it. As of right now, I am guesstimating that the burrow temperature for Megaphobema mesomelas can get to be about 70 F - 75 F.

The evidence seems to point to air circulation being an issue in captivity because it is clearly windy there, and there are YouTube videos that Martin from BirdspidersCH has posted that provide that evidence.

Slings of all species can be quite delicate as they are smaller and any adverse enclosure parameters will effect them faster than an adult.
I have found that some slings are hardier than others depending on their species. However, you are correct, compared to their adult counterparts, slings do tend to be a bit less hardier.

Bottom line is do the research and it can be smooth sailing for anything you can acquire.

Thanks,
--Matt
I have to agree whole heartedly with this portion of the comment.

Last edited:

MainMann

Arachnosquire
Most fragile tarantulas?

The ones being handled, the ones being allowed to crawl on a face, a head, a back. The ones that are used for "funny" practical jokes on YouTube and put on someone who's scared of spiders.
OMG YESSS!!! Absolutely hate the douchebags on youtube that think they're hot stuff because they let a T stirmi walk on their face. And even if the intention is good, it's still very risky in my opinion, because I've seen a video where a T was being held for educational purposes (I'm pretty sure it was a A. chalcodes) but then the T started to walk faster than the student's hands could handle it, and the student panicked and she ended up dropping the T. The vid didn't show the T, but I'm quite certain it ruptured its abdomen, so yeah i absolutely agree with your statement! A fragile T is one that is being handled

The key is ventilation! Not one T has died in over 10years since I gave them good enclosures with enough ventilation (knock on wood!).
And if you don´t "overcare" your T, all of them are hardy!
Stuffy air is the leading cause of T death i presume, good ventilation is always key!

I have done a tiny bit of research into Xenesthis spp. From what I have read of their habitat descriptions, it doesn't seem as if certain Xenesthis spp. are sensitive to drier conditions, (at least with Xenesthis sp. Blue, it doesn't). It seems as if there are accounts of them living in semi-arid conditions in the wild. You can read the following quoted caption to a color photo in the Journal of the British Tarantula Society 33(2) Sept 2018:

"Fig. 9 : fully grown female of Xenesthis sp. ‘blue’ - a species that can often be found below rocks in a dry habitat in the highlands of Colombia. Photo © C. Andre & B. Weber" (Andre, 2018, page 27)

Reference:
Andre, C. (2018). Pamphobeteus ultramarinus (Schmidt, 1995): Habitat, Lifestyle, Captive Care and Breeding. Journal of the British Tarantula Society, 33(2), 27.

I am currently keeping a small group of Xenesthis immanis, and so far, they do not appear to be particularly sensitive about humidity.

There is currently no evidence/hard data that supports that Megaphobema mesomelas requires cooler ambient air temperatures at all times. This particular species has been known to inhabit the Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve in Costa Rica where there are recorded daily ambient daytime temperatures and ambient nighttime temperatures as well as monthly averages of the ambient high and low temperatures throughout a particular year you can easily look up right now to see exactly what the ambient air temperatures are where this tarantula is located. This particular region has been recorded to have high ambient air temperatures of up to 85 F during the day. It may be windy there, but the actual ambient air temperature can sometimes be 85 F. (https://weather.com/weather/monthly/l/CSXX0277:1:CS)

In case people are wondering how it is possible for it to feel like it is pretty cool when the actual ambient air temperature is 85 F, think about when you are at the beach where it is 90 F and it is very windy. Does it feel warm there or does it feel rather cool? It is not possible to find out what the numerical value of a parameter like temperature is based off of feeling/sensory perception in every context, it is better to determine this using a thermometer.

If I can find the actual temperature of the burrow in my research, I will post it. As of right now, I am guesstimating that the burrow temperature for Megaphobema mesomelas can get to be about 70 F - 75 F.

The evidence seems to point to air circulation being an issue in captivity because it is clearly windy there, and there are YouTube videos that Martin from BirdspidersCH has posted that provide that evidence.

I have found that some slings are hardier than others depending on their species. However, you are correct, compared to their adult counterparts, slings do tend to be a bit less hardier.

I have to agree whole heartedly with this portion of the comment.
Wow this is very very informative! Thank you soo much for posting this dude!

Last edited by a moderator:

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
My Selenotypus "Champagne Robustus" has very fagile emotions, if you take away her favourite piece of spagnum moss she won't eat for the next few days due to shock. Does that count?

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
It has been my experience that if you step on any of them they will squash immediately.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I haven’t owned any myself but I would imagine the Theraposa genus would be a bit more fragile than the average genus as they grow due to the specific requirements and their large size while moulting

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It has been my experience that if you step on any of them they will squash immediately.
Stop spreading such lies!

Later, Tom
Very interesting Tom. Not great news for some those of us that like some of the small Chilean species.

Last edited by a moderator: