Most fragile Ts

MainMann

Arachnosquire
Hello all!
So generally speaking, Ts are very very hardy animals. Their easy of care and hardy nature was one of the things that got me into them in the first place. So that got me thinking, what are the most fragile Ts that yalls have ever kept in your experience?

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Fragile is probably not right word, but Avicularia would be closest to that description, at least when they're slings anyway.

MainMann

Arachnosquire
H. maculata as slings
Some Asians (C. huahini as slings, O. violaceopes as slings/juvies)
I see, and I've heard a bunch stories of O violaceopes being quite finicky about their moisture requirements

Fragile is probably not right word, but Avicularia would be closest to that description, at least when they're slings anyway.
I see, I've seen a lot of debate on how people should keep avic slings, either on dry or slightly moist sub. A breeder i know personally uses moist sub with great success, how do you keep yours?

Last edited by a moderator:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I see, I've seen a lot of debate on how people should keep avic slings, either on dry or slightly moist sub. A breeder i know personally uses moist sub with great success, how do you keep yours?
If you get their ventilation right then they do absolutely fine with slightly moist substrate. Been keeping them that way for 3 years and the only sling deaths I've had were from bad moults, a Y. diversipes sling that failed to moult its sucking stomach the day after arrival, and one of my trio of A. variegata got stuck in its moult (managed to free it but it died a week later).

MainMann

Arachnosquire
Bone dry sub, light mist two times a week with a SLIGHTLY over-flowed water dish. I never lost a sling when kept like this.
Understood dude, coz i got a dude selling juruensis slings, and i don't wanna mess it up, thank you!

If you get their ventilation right then they do absolutely fine with slightly moist substrate. Been keeping them that way for 3 years and the only sling deaths I've had were from bad moults, a Y. diversipes sling that failed to moult its sucking stomach the day after arrival, and one of my trio of A. variegata got stuck in its moult (managed to free it but it died a week later).
I see, ventilation is key as I've read over and over. How about setting up it's enclosure invertedly. Ill Be planning to use a small jar and i figured that i could use it's lid as the bottom of the enclo, would that be reccomended?

Ps, i will be putting in more vent holes, as of now I'm using it to store a darlingi molt

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I've had great luck so far so can't really say, I do watch quite a lot of you tubers (purely for the viewing of T’s) and the survival rate of Typhochlaena seladonia in captivity seems not good

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I think its pretty easy to over-water baboon slings. Its a blessing that they like it dry, but an extra drop or two of water can cause issues and death in such small enclosures. They aren't fragile, but can't be kept over-moist.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Really? I hadn't heard that before. Is it just the slings?
Yes, should have added that in, I was talking about the slings. Finicky eating habits and slow growth make for a sling that is very long in its vulnerable phase of life. Feeding can be an issue because of size as well. These slings are like a pinprick when under 4th instar :confused:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Finicky eating habits and slow growth make for a sling that is very long in its vulnerable phase of life. Feeding can be an issue because of size as well. These slings are like a pinprick when under 4th instar :confused:
One of the most glacial growers I've ever had. A. moderatum and B. albiceps are giving it a run for its money as tiny slings with slow growth, though.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
The only species ive ever scratched my head over losing was 1/2" Lampropelma nigerrimum. Had 4. Two died from apparently no reason. Other two are doing great about a year later.

Avicularia purpurea are also one that is supposed to be pretty finicky. I had one and it also died for no obvious reason.

But don't take that as gospel. Could be a fluke. I know people who have raised entire Avicularia sacs without losses. They're not hard. You just overcomplicate it.

The vast majority of species that get a reputation as "hard" or "complicated" just get that rep from beginners with poor husbandry.

MainMann

Arachnosquire
I think its pretty easy to over-water baboon slings. Its a blessing that they like it dry, but an extra drop or two of water can cause issues and death in such small enclosures. They aren't fragile, but can't be kept over-moist.
Thank you for this info! I actually didn't know that before, thought that all slings like it on the moist side, would def keep this in mind if i decide to get baboon slings!

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Hola,

I wouldn't say there are a lot of fragile species, just those that have different requirements than the hobby staples of the past. If you can meet those requirements, then they tend to be just as hardy. Xenesthis sp, Theraphosa sp, and Asian aboreals/fossorials that have less tolerant moisture requirements spring to mind. They're not hard to keep, but it takes time and experience to develop the feel for proper moisture levels in their enclosures. Megaphobema mesomelas and other montane species like cooler temps than what is normally provided for other species. Slings of all species can be quite delicate as they are smaller and any adverse enclosure parameters will effect them faster than an adult. Bottom line is do the research and it can be smooth sailing for anything you can acquire.

Thanks,
--Matt

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Hola,

I wouldn't say there are a lot of fragile species, just those that have different requirements than the hobby staples of the past. If you can meet those requirements, then they tend to be just as hardy. Xenesthis sp, Theraphosa sp, and Asian aboreals/fossorials that have less tolerant moisture requirements spring to mind. They're not hard to keep, but it takes time and experience to develop the feel for proper moisture levels in their enclosures. Megaphobema mesomelas and other montane species like cooler temps than what is normally provided for other species. Slings of all species can be quite delicate as they are smaller and any adverse enclosure parameters will effect them faster than an adult. Bottom line is do the research and it can be smooth sailing for anything you can acquire.

Thanks,
--Matt
No it doesn't. Theraphosa, Xenethis, Lampropelma, etc are just as hardy as anything. The mindset that they're special and need certain humidity levels is a myth.

No one I've spoken to thats kept mesomelas has reported problems at standard temps. (70-80)

Do you keep any of these, or are you just regurgitating info you've read?