Most docile, least poisonous centipede?

Splashstorm

Arachnopeon
I am aware that generally centipedes cannot be handle, but I've seen people do it (and I know it's not the norm), but I would like to take my own risks, and I hope the majority of you will accept that. So, I want to know, which centipede is the most docile and least poisonous (or at least with very mild sting and bite)? Also, are there any centipede that actually enjoys being handled, or at least will tolerate it? How aggressive is a docile centipede compared to a docile tarantula?

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They don't "enjoy" handling. Ever. From what I know a bite from any Scolopendra is pretty serious, but don't have enough experience to recommend a species. I do know of a member here who handles centipedes fairly successfully, but can't remember his username. That said, I believe handling centipedes takes a lot of knowledge and ten times more luck.

Ivymike1973

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Talk to cacoseraph. He has a rather detailed thread about handling large pedes.

Splashstorm

Arachnopeon
I don't want a large centipede. But I'll pm him and see what he says. Thanks guys. :)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
so

definitely, no centipedes (or bug in general, for that matter) *can* enjoy being held... that is an emotion and they don't have the hardware or software to run such a program. but, practically, is there a centipede that can get used to being handled like tarantulas and maybe scorpions can? not as far as i can tell. with centipedes, bites are essentially random... tarantulas basically need you to give them a reason to bite... centipedes bite randomly. so, practically, what does this mean for the burgeoning centipede handling enthusiast? well, this means you must find a centipede with a low venom reactivity with respect to humans.... and there is no guarantee that i can point you in the right direction, there. but, there are a few species that have apparently never logged grotesque bites... and that is what we have in centipede world.

species that have not terrible bites (probably):
Scolopendra polymorpha
Scolopocryptops spp.
Ethmostigmus trigonopodus (BLUE LEG ONLY... yellow leg might be a hellbiter)
Alipes sp. (commonly available species seem to be fairly inoffensive)

Splashstorm

Arachnopeon
Well.. doesn't that suck xD I didn't know they bit randomly.

And thank you so much for the species list! I was looking everywhere on google, and found really nothing.

So these guys are also less aggressive as well as having a softer bite? And I heard that the H.marginata's bite wasn't very painful either. Is this true?

And what is the common name for Scolopocryptops spp.?

Last edited:

Splashstorm

Arachnopeon
I did a little more researching and a blog I found said that stone centipedes don't bite. Another source said they do bite but only in the soft tissue areas. Someone else said they are extremely docile and their bites are only like bee stings and that the symptoms weren't bad.that person went on to say that stone centipedes made the best beginner pede. What say y'all on this info?

Camden

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I did a little more researching and a blog I found said that stone centipedes don't bite. Another source said they do bite but only in the soft tissue areas. Someone else said they are extremely docile and their bites are only like bee stings and that the symptoms weren't bad.that person went on to say that stone centipedes made the best beginner pede. What say y'all on this info?
Stone centipedes definitely bite. How would they eat?

Greenjewls

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't know anything about stone centipedes... I do know that bee stings hurt. People use "feels like a bee sting" much as people use "tastes like chicken". And when people tell me something tastes like chicken, it usually does not taste like chicken. Furthermore, bees are responsible for more human deaths than any other animal. And any venom can kill if you have an allergic reaction.
From my experience handling Scolopendra, the "NA tiger" or polymorpha species seems mild-mannered to me. I have handled these many times without getting "bitten". People tell me that the effects of the bite are much less than a bee sting. One person reported that his finger turned blue/black, but he also claims to be "allergic to all venom". Be aware of verbiage that people use... I could say that S. subspinipes does not bite, because they do not; they inject venom with modified front legs. And don't trust random people's identification capabilities either. Definitely take the time to read the handling thread, let me see if i can link it here:
Giant Centipede Handling Thread
Be careful out there!

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Scolopocryptops has no common name(that I'm aware of). I've never been bitten by the three that Caco listed, although I'm sure they are capable in the right(or wrong) situation. Never met a polymorpha that wasn't quick to nail you, though obviously everyone has different experiences.

Splashstorm

Arachnopeon
I've noticed a lot of you are focusing on bites. As this is important in determining my centipede, so is temperament for me. Is there any species that really stands out as being calmer than others?

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pretty much all of them are unpredictable. There may be some that may appear calm and docile for some time, but most will bite without any obvious (to you) provocation. Only way to prevent a bite is to not touch one, really.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
^what le-thomas said.

To me, the "willingness" to bite = temperament. These aren't complex animals except in terms of their well developed physiology and predatory/reproductive instinct. Some of the smaller & more available centipedes have "little guy syndrome", e.g., Scolopendra viridis is hell bent on biting/repelling you at any cost. Those already listed are your best bet, but in the end they are twitchy killers and it's only a matter of time before you get bit, if indeed you decide to handle often.

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well since your set on doing this, I'd recommend an S. Polymorpha. They are cheap and easy to find, also pretty hearty and don't require a lot of care to survive. If you want to hold one, get a cup or stick to let it go into/onto first then let it find it's way to your hand. DO NOT force it, you will most likely get bitten. I've held tons of pedes, been bite plenty of times. Only one I could even tell right away was gunna hurt was a phillipine subspinipes, any of the subspinipes are going to be excruciating.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I'd say start with marginata or a large stone centipede, these normally can't hurt you at all unless you stick them in your armpit (there is a venom reaction study where the 'scientist' had to stick large stone centipede in his armpit since he couldn't get a reaction anywhere else as the skin was too thick).

Splashstorm

Arachnopeon
Really?! That's great to hear!

---------- Post added 07-17-2012 at 04:32 PM ----------

Are all stone centipedes considered large, or is it a different kind? And where can i get one?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
An extremely centipede clueless observation. From what I have seen of their bites, it appears to be autonomic to some degree. By simply traveling over a body part that accidentally was in their way, people around here have got tagged. One kid had one run over his foot and got three hits.
I noted the centipede seemed to act exactly like the average wild mongoose; it bites as a matter of course as it tests it's environment. I'd appreciate some more experienced persons commenting on this.
I have noted that all hilltribe people without exception shy from or kill the pedes around here whenever encountered. People who casually handle our hefty spiders and don't hesitate to grab a kaouthai cobra by it's tail want nothing to do with pedes or caterpillars. A 'zaps are inevitable' thing.

Splashstorm

Arachnopeon
@catfish, okay, i will if i decide on them. :)

@the snark, what do u mean by your message? Are u saying that centipedes will bite no matter what, and that is why people who aren't afraid of snakes and spiders are afraid of them?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
@catfish, okay, i will if i decide on them. :)

@the snark, what do u mean by your message? Are u saying that centipedes will bite no matter what, and that is why people who aren't afraid of snakes and spiders are afraid of them?
(I'm not above feigning absolute ignorance here.) Disturbed, which seems to be the case most of the time when pedes are out and about zooming around above ground, are they doing the bite thing as they move along? Like with the kid where it ran over his foot it was going from point A to point B unimpeded but still took three shots at him. This reminded me of a film I saw of a mongoose in slow motion and my observations of one where they are almost constantly snapping/chewing/champing their jaws as they move, apparently autonomically.
(Mongoose=A cross between an espresso powered weasel, a giant sewer rat and a chain saw)