Most Docile Beginner Species

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
You bring a valid point in predictablility. Got my T.albo(N) almost two weeks ago as a part of my re-entry to the hobby, and it was quite easy and quick to learn her habits, patterns and what makes her tick. And she also seems to be pretty mellow, didn't even kick when I coaxed her out of the box and into the enclosure, which happened to me with all three grammostolas and a B.ham that I used to have.

As numerous individuals pointed out, it's all individual, so we could say that T.albo is a species with a high probability of getting a mellow specimen?
not in my experience.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Am I allowed to say price? It was an unnamed hobbyist, not a vendor or anything. 150 usd for a female
I remember when red and yellow slings were 25$ and freebies, and AFs were half that value you paid

As numerous individuals pointed out, it's all individual, so we could say that T.albo is a species with a high probability of getting a mellow specimen?
50/50 it’s a crap shoot IME, just like Brachy

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For all of you that had flickers and biters... I honestly don't know what to tell you. Mine is an absolute sweetheart, but as soon as I put some crickets in, she turns into a serial killer ;) If anything, my girl is often stubborn. No defensivess, she just won't budge.

Edit : Thinking about, maybe some of yours are Nics, I've read that they can a bit more testy compared to Hondurans. Feedback on this, please ?

Marlana

Arachnoknight
You mention velvet spiders. Just a word of caution that they are not docile. I have about 10 and they can be very defensive. They never leave their web unless you force them. Once out of their web (which I only recommend to rehouse, it’s stressful) they can be calmer but most are still bitey. I’ve noticed juvies aren’t very defensive but once full grown…they don’t want to be bothered. We also don’t have much information on their venom.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
The ones I have that are extremely laid back and don’t flick hairs are Grammostola pulchra, all my Brachypelma species except for bohemei (I have hamorii, emilia, albiceps, auratum, klaasi, and 2 bohemei), Aphonopelma seemanni, Aphonopelma chalcodes (she has flicked at me once), and Neoholothele incei. The N. incei can be very quick, but mine only really displays that during feeding. She was one of the easiest rehousings I’ve ever done, except for the fact that she barely moved or just sat there while I prodded her with the paintbrush. So basically very docile but can be fast.

My female A. avicularia is very calm and docile. I would suggest doing research here on husbandry though.

Toadfang

Arachnopeon
G.pulchra was the first T I trusted my grandson to care for when he started having an interest in keeping.No T is going to fall into the “docile” catagory all the time,everyttime.But,imho, the Grammostola genus is a pretty good bet.
I conquer. I have a 2" G. Pulchra and she has been anything but slow. If I move too fast near her terrarium she scurries away into her hole like Kermit the frog.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
B. emilia and A. chalcodes are the most docile species that I have. They're both great choices for beginners.

jc55

Arachnoknight
G Pulchripes are pretty docile and a good first T in my opinion.

grumpycow3

Arachnosquire
I conquer. I have a 2" G. Pulchra and she has been anything but slow. If I move too fast near her terrarium she scurries away into her hole like Kermit the frog.
My G. pulchra has been pretty skittish but it seems to mellow out after every moult, so if I were to throw in my two cents I'd go for a juvenile G. pulchra or porteri

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Am I allowed to say price? It was an unnamed hobbyist, not a vendor or anything. 150 usd for a female
You lucky........🙂

I want one so bad that I would sacrifice my sanity by sitting through a chick flick in it's entirety for it.

The last chick flick I got tricked into going to was 'Message in a Bottle' with Kevin Costner........never again....never...except for this tarantula.

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
If you can find one a decent size and don't mind pet rocks...
They do hold a special place. Many of us started with this species. They're resilient and can teach anyone about patience.
what i started with when i got into tarantulas - i think ‘pet rocks’ have advantages for newbies - easier to monitor, not a bolt concern, etc

chibicricket

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately, found out that my county has a ordinance against tarantulas and scorpions, so I'm limited to true spiders and mantids, which is what I currently have. It's so weird too, because I'm on the border of a major city, and they can have them and sell them in pet stores, but we cannot. The fine is too hefty to chance it, and having one shipped to me is too risky. I already had to get a permit for 3 of my turtles, and that was a pain.

I really love my jumping spiders, but they don't live that long. It's sad. I had considered briefly breeding them just so I could continuously have them, but I have no clue what I'd do with so many babies. So, I think I'll just stick with what I have. As far as the velvet spiders, still would like to get one eventually, I know they aren't docile. But I have bees too, and you learn pretty quickly how to approach animals that can physically hurt you.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Unfortunately, found out that my county has a ordinance against tarantulas and scorpions, so I'm limited to true spiders and mantids, which is what I currently have. It's so weird too, because I'm on the border of a major city, and they can have them and sell them in pet stores, but we cannot. The fine is too hefty to chance it, and having one shipped to me is too risky. I already had to get a permit for 3 of my turtles, and that was a pain.

I really love my jumping spiders, but they don't live that long. It's sad. I had considered briefly breeding them just so I could continuously have them, but I have no clue what I'd do with so many babies. So, I think I'll just stick with what I have. As far as the velvet spiders, still would like to get one eventually, I know they aren't docile. But I have bees too, and you learn pretty quickly how to approach animals that can physically hurt you.
Wow that sucks..and I was just looking at property there for sale. Scratching that state off my list.

chibicricket

Arachnopeon
You can have tarantulas in Richmond. I'm in a suburb just outside the city. You can't have them in my county. Virginia is a lovely state though. Just not great if you have native reptiles, which I do, had to get a bunch of my animals registered and get permits. Other than that, it's great! I do wildlife rehab, and sometimes the animals just can't be released, I have a box turtle that stayed with me because of this. In July 2021, they banned box turtles, wild caught or captive bred.