Most Docile Beginner Species

chibicricket

Arachnopeon
I would like to get my 1st tarantula. Mostly I keep reptiles, amphibians but I also have several different species of jumping spiders and various mantids, and I'm a bee keeper. I have kids and I use my animals as a learning experience/science lesson for them, and I would like to incorporate a tarantula to the mix. I had been on the fence about velvet spiders, but the price tag is too high in the US right now, so I'm going to wait until they are a bit more available.

What would be a good species for beginners, that has relatively easy care needs, and is pretty docile? I don't handle my invertebrates usually, but would like a species that if I'm upgrading enclosures or cleaning their space, they aren't going to be aggressive with me or throw hairs. But it would be neat to be able to have it walk on my hand every once in a great while.

I have been looking at pink toes... opinions?

Dorifto

He who moists xD
But it would be neat to be able to have it walk on my hand every once in a great while.

I have been looking at pink toes... opinions?
We usually are against this habbit, it only puts your T at a hight risk of suffering a fall, injury etc. It's like if an aquarium guy handling a fish, what would you say? Gives nothing possitive to your T.

Now avics, "it's not" the best begginner species, they are more prone to die by poor husbandry than other species, but if you do your homeworks, read a lot and learn how to keep them properly, giving it a good enclosure with plenty of ventilation etc, you shouldn't have any major problems.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
T. albo and G. pulchripes are good beginner species. B. emilia seem to be readily available right now and mine has been a treat. My most docile is probably my G. pulchra. It has lived up to the black lab reputation.

Avics are very doable. Just make sure you know what they need. They're pretty chill. Very sweet spiders.

No matter what you choose, do your homework and set them up appropriately.

Good luck with your search.
Happy keeping.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
T. Albopilosus every time. Generally considered as one of the best beginner T's for good reason.

We are very against handling here, if you use the search function there are many, many a death from it with no benefits to the T.

One of the best things you can teach your kids about tarantulas is that they aren't a pet to be held.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Aphonopelma chalcodes, Brachypelma hamorii, Grammastola pulchripes, Tliltocatl Vagans. Most things from these genera are pretty easy to keep and not known for their aggression. They will also not be the fastest growers, but that varies by species, temperature, and individuals

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Aphonopelma chalcodes, Brachypelma hamorii, Grammastola pulchripes, Tliltocatl Vagans. Most things from these genera are pretty easy to keep and not known for their aggression. They will also not be the fastest growers, but that varies by species, temperature, and individuals
I agree, there's lots of variables that factor in. But, any of those species are great for beginners

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
G.pulchra was the first T I trusted my grandson to care for when he started having an interest in keeping.No T is going to fall into the “docile” catagory all the time,everyttime.But,imho, the Grammostola genus is a pretty good bet.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tliltocatl albopilosus. Hands down the best. Readily available, cheap, medium growth rate, great appetite and unique fuzzy look. Usually calm-tempered. Mine has only kicked hairs once when I was prodding it away from its water dish so I take it out and clean it. Defensive behaviour with these is near to non-existent. They tolerate a lot before they'd do anything, still no excuse to annoy them for any reason. Handling is a big no-no, too much can go wrong that it's just not worth the risk. Enjoy your ball of FLOOF if you go that route.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Tliltocatl albopilosus. Hands down the best. Readily available, cheap, medium growth rate, great appetite and unique fuzzy look. Usually calm-tempered. Mine has only kicked hairs once when I was prodding it away from its water dish so I take it out and clean it. Defensive behaviour with these is near to non-existent. They tolerate a lot before they'd do anything, still no excuse to annoy them for any reason. Handling is a big no-no, too much can go wrong that it's just not worth the risk. Enjoy your ball of FLOOF if you go that route.
Near non existent is not how I would describe them and I have 3, 2 are flicky and one of those two is bitey. But they are very predictable.

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
Near non existent is not how I would describe them and I have 3, 2 are flicky and one of those two is bitey. But they are very predictable.
My T. Albo's were also quite flicky. See a lot of people also suggesting Grammostola Pulchripes and every one I have ever owned was either very skittish or out right defensive. Purely anecdotal, but thought I would add my experience to the data pool.

Now my Grammostola Pulchra and my Aphonopelma (except Seemanni, wouldn't suggest that one for beginners) have been complete angels.

Last edited:

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Maybe I'm lucky but out of four curlies, only one is a little flicky. They're all mellow in a way that makes maintenance beginner friendly. I haven't seen anything from them that would make me hesitant in recommending the species to a beginner.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
T albos kick urticating setae IME - don’t bother

G pulchripes OR

I mean H chillensis is the best if you can find one below triple digits. I just got one off someone getting out of the hobby. At least 6 years old- about 2". Paid a good bit but less than I've seen slings go for.

G.pulchra was the first T I trusted my grandson to care for when he started having an interest in keeping.No T is going to fall into the “docile” catagory all the time,everyttime.But,imho, the Grammostola genus is a pretty good bet.
In general I agree, but actaeon and ihrengi are much *feistier* than any other grammastola I've seen

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Tliltocatl albopilosus. Defensive behaviour with these is near to non-existent. They tolerate a lot before they'd do anything, still no excuse to annoy them for any reason.
One of mine is psycho and defensive (bites more than threat poses) and the other four are docile. It's been that way for years. <shrug>

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I mean H chillensis is the best if you can find one below triple digits. I just got one off someone getting out of the hobby. At least 6 years old- about 2". Paid a good bit but less than I've seen slings go for.

In general I agree, but actaeon and ihrengi are much *feistier* than any other grammastola I've seen
OP asked for the best- didn’t mention cost ;)

How much did you pay? sex?

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You bring a valid point in predictablility. Got my T.albo(N) almost two weeks ago as a part of my re-entry to the hobby, and it was quite easy and quick to learn her habits, patterns and what makes her tick. And she also seems to be pretty mellow, didn't even kick when I coaxed her out of the box and into the enclosure, which happened to me with all three grammostolas and a B.ham that I used to have.

As numerous individuals pointed out, it's all individual, so we could say that T.albo is a species with a high probability of getting a mellow specimen?