*most defensive?*

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
out of all your collections what would you say is the most defensive tarantula you have?

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
well for me i havent seen enough of my semi new H.aureopilosum so id have to say the blue fury my h.lividum!

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A tossup between my H maculata, P murinus and C paganus female

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
mature male P. cambridgei.... i posted pictures of me handling it a few months ago... but since he molted out male, he's been a psycho!

minax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
New word T's, I would have to say my wicked P.Cambridgei, and then my L.cristata. Man it can be pissy! Usually minds it's own business and kills anything that I put in it's cage; I actually handled it when it was younger, but no more! I don't get the threat display very much at all from my T's, but two different times I got a little too close for it's liking and it culminated with an impressive threat display held for like 15 minutes. Much more like a old world T in this behavior. Bearacuda once posted that her's was the meanest T she had.........kinda understand now! As for the old world, I would say my H.lividum and H. Aureopilosum, my Usambar is fairly calm for the species, and my H.gigas is still very young, but I am sure he will be added to this list later.;)

Last edited:

ithuriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:? i only have four at present but id say my b.vagans, because if theres a meal to be had she/he is there.she stays in her den quite a bit since her molt but a couple of times since i first had her she has come right up to the glass and stared at me, she doesnt like to be watched:eek:

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
i agree with you minax
my h.lividum gets pretty nasty
which one is more definsive out of your 2
of the h.lividum and the h.aureopilosum?
as i havent seen my h.aureopilosum since i got her i dont really know how nasty she is gonna be but i am prepared none the less
i really want an h.gigas i plan to get one soon hopefully ohh and for a rosey my mature male gets upset more so then any other rosey i have came in contact with

:D -jason

minax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Jason! I would have to say the H.lividum is more defensive; I don't get to see my H. aureopilosum much either, sometimes it will stay hidden for a month or two, then it will peek out for a day or two. Actually my cobalt is pretty laid back if you leave her alone. I usually look down her tunnel with a flashlight when she is eating; she just eats and ignores me but it gives me a great chance to check her out!:D

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
well i cant really

reply to this question because I only have the calmer species..and they are all slings except the g. pulchra which is as docile as they can be...totally laid back. Annnd the L. parahybana i have is only about three inches...it spazzes everytime i open its container ,but that is just running around or diving into its burrow. I have nothing aggressive yet.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by bodc21
out of all your collections what would you say is the most defensive tarantula you have?
A tie between Selenocosmia stirlingi and an undscribed Phlogiellus sp. we found a few years back. Should be described soon. The Phlogiellus actually has venom dripping from it's fangs when it rears up and the S.stirlingi is a bite now, ask questions later type of spider. As far as T's go, these have some of the most potent venom in the world and they'r happy to use it.

Steve

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
It's a toss up. Usually I'd say my Haplopelma sp. "aureopilosum", but lately Subject A, the H. gigas is taking the lead. She may be somewhat stressed without a burrow though, but I'll have that solved by the end of the night.

Bill

Maggie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Difficult choice

Right now its a toss up between my L. cristata and C. marshalli. But there are a few others that come very close.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
hmmm, that's a difficult one...
I guess I'd have to say one of my Usambara females. I have several that have an unbelieveable feeding response, but that's not the same thing.
The rest of the Usambaras are just spazmoids, as are the pokies. I've never seen any threat posture from them, they just freak out and run around (sometimes in circles!).
I would suspect once the S calceatum gets a bit of size that it might be the leader!

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a couple of "evil" ones...Rounding out the top of the list are my P murinus girls, my Ephebopus murinus female (who I have handled a few times....She seems to be calm occasionally, but will go absolutely nuts on you if she's in a bad mood) and my Haplopelma sp "longipedum". I bred a pair of these recently, and both the male and female raised up at each other in a threat display for several minutes before "doing the deed". Other mean ones include Tap. gigas, H. maculata, and all my Psalmopoeus gals. I noticed most people included H. lividum, but I must have gotten lucky, because all of mine are fairly shy and hesitant to go psychotic on me.....H. minax is another story though :p

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Terrestrial 'defensive' tarantulas:

H. lividum
P. murinus
Most Haplopelma sp.
Most Selenocosmia sp.

Arboreal 'defensive' tarantulas:

S. calceatum
H. maculata
Most Psalmopoeus sp.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Our P. murinus, Usambar orange demon hands down in this house.
Followed by our P.Cambridgei, Slinky.
Both female, fast and Bitchy.

:)

Which is just part of their charm. lol.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My H. hercules, it is a demon!!! Followed closely by my H. lividum, H. maculata, and C. fimbriatus. My regalis is actually a really calm spider, it's a female about 7.5 inches.

Andy:D

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I must have lucked out with my usambara, since mine is freaky (I know what ImmortalSin means about the usambaras running in circles!) but not aggressive.

Most aggressive of mine would have to be my B. boehmi. He never fails to flick hairs at the slightest disturbance, NEVER turns down a meal, and has gone into threat postures a couple times, which is more than I've seen from ANY of my others. Either my spiders aren't really into threat posturing, or I just don't bug them enough.