Most chill Ts in your collection

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
My Aphonopelma moderatum girl, Luna, is by far my most calm T. Even so, she's been known to throw a threat pose at the odd cricket now and then, until she figures out it's a cricket and eats it...

View attachment 422100
I had one juvenile female A chalcodes then I got bored with her and rehomed her.. they are so boring and they grow so slowly that they really border on abusing time being relative to the observer... Although they're gorgeous, and congrats on having one with some personality and spice to it.

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
Interesting! Reminds me, I can't find them here, but they do have H. Peruvianum.. do you think they're comparable?

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
I had one juvenile female A chalcodes then I got bored with her and rehomed her.. they are so boring and they grow so slowly that they really border on abusing time being relative to the observer... Although they're gorgeous, and congrats on having one with some personality and spice to it.
I buy and raise a lot of slings, but I will only purchase adult (or almost adult) Aphonopelma species for just that reason...

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
P murinus?? Why do I find that hard to even picture 🤣
I don’t know, I’d guess because you have watched sensationalized YouTube videos or Fb groups. By far my most chill old world. Do you keep this species?

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I don’t know, I’d guess because you have watched sensationalized YouTube videos or Fb groups. By far my most chill old world. Do you keep this species?
I agree that in most cases their reputation is exaggerated. In a lot of cases people keep them in incorrect setups without enough substrate or hiding places, which can cause them to behave defensively. When housed correctly they are a delightful species to keep. I had a male that was really calm until he matured and became much more feisty. I miss that spider...such a gorgeous tarantula with a great personality. I'm planning on eventually getting a confirmed female.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I agree that in most cases their reputation is exaggerated. In a lot of cases people keep them in incorrect setups without enough substrate or hiding places, which can cause them to behave defensively. When housed correctly they are a delightful species to keep. I had a male that was really calm until he matured and became much more feisty. I miss that spider...such a gorgeous tarantula with a great personality. I'm planning on eventually getting a confirmed female.
I have a female that was my first OW. I haven’t paired her yet so we’ll see how she does with all that but she even takes food super gently. Much easier to work with than Nhandu or most Brachypelma. I’ve never gotten a threat posture that I recall

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I have a female that was my first OW. I haven’t paired her yet so we’ll see how she does with all that but she even takes food super gently. Much easier to work with than Nhandu or most Brachypelma. I’ve never gotten a threat posture that I recall
I can see that. Out of all my tarantulas, my Nhandu is by far the most defensive. More so than any of my OWs.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I can see that. Out of all my tarantulas, my Nhandu is by far the most defensive. More so than any of my OWs.
I got rid of my N chromatus. I didn’t love it and it was always burrowed, which some say is unusual for this species. This and B boehmei are two of the most defensive species I have worked with. S cal is also one of the most defensive, I’m not in denial about the fact that some spiders are high strung. But OBT are not as bad as people say. However, my “kigoma” locality does seem crazier, but I suspect these color forms are different species

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Interesting! Reminds me, I can't find them here, but they do have H. Peruvianum.. do you think they're comparable?
No, they are a bit more skittish from what I heard. There's an equivalent species to H.ch, google the paper that describes H.ch.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
No, they are a bit more skittish from what I heard. There's an equivalent species to H.ch, google the paper that describes H.ch.
That would probably be Euathles sp. Yellow, now described and named Homoeomma orellanai. Both H. orellanai and H. chilense (no longer chilensis, it was grammatically corrected recently) were described at the same time.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That would probably be Euathles sp. Yellow, now described and named Homoeomma orellanai. Both H. orellanai and H. chilense (no longer chilensis, it was grammatically corrected recently) were described at the same time.
Thanks, I know all of that. I used to own both, I own the scientific paper describing both. Now I only own H ch. I don't mention H.o. specifically because I think people should learn on their own to some degree.

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
My B. emilia is the calmest I have, no surprise there. The guy I got it from said he used to wear it on his face at work. I suspect heavy pre-molt is how he got away with that one.

AlbaArachnids92

Arachnoknight
H. pulchripes for me, still only a juvi but this thing acts like a Brachypelma. Always out and about, not had a bolt out of it, no threat posing....just sits there.
I normally tap the enclosure a couple of times so my T's retreat into their hides before I open them up, this one doesn't even flinch.
Open the top, nothing. Drop food in, nothing, it'll just get it when the feeder wanders close enough.
Rehousing is just a battle to get it moving, swear I could manually move it (DO NOT DO THIS OBVIOUSLY).

Thing is so chill I have to make a conscious effort to remember it's potential!

RoseyPink01

Arachnosquire
For me, it's my A. avic juvenile! She's super docile and sweet. (I do not handle her!)

Cemykay

Arachnosquire
From those i have i differentiate between those with a calm reputation and those without.
Expected: Brachypelma emilia, Brachypelma boehmei, Thrixopelma cyaneolum, Grammostola pulchripes, Grammostola pulchra
Unexpected: Harpactira pulchripes, Harpactira cafreriana, Nhandu tripepii (not even hair kicking), Psalmopoeus cambridgei

joossa

Arachnobaron
My B. hamorii female and a couple of my larger B. albiceps females are very, very calm. Great eaters, but never defensive, never kick hairs, and never skittish.

My adult female B. boehmei is a bit skittish and my smaller juvenile B. albiceps are skittish as well.

Shinn

Arachnosquire
My H. pulchripes, Abel. He has been staying out and about despite losing many limbs throughout his sling stage molts. And now that he has all them back and getting to the 2+inch mark, he still hangs out in the open for the most part. Never give a threat pose and mostly curls up instead of threat pose when disturbed and never once bolted. Unlike my two other fellow H. pulchripes.

20220703_162449.jpg
This is him hanging out by the side of the enclosure. He does web a lot though.